Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Newark, DE

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I see they have the lines perfected

2016-02-18_10-06-28y.png

• Funny
Reactions: ThosEM
So assuming that Tesla keeps the current chargers active, I wonder how this will show on the nav?
And the more important question - This'll probably get treated like Darien, Milford and Greenwich for supercharger usage counts; paired installation?

I'll be contrarian and take April 15, Tax Day; something good has to happen that day :)

My birthday... as good a day as any.

I'd bet on the existing superchargers being decommissioned... bad location, older design, and I'd bet power availability at the site might be an issue too.

I would think they would at least move them down (and upgrade) to the new main SC location, so they'd have 16 total stalls in a corner that would never get ICEd. Like they did with the two NJ Turnpike locations.

Finish date: March 28th...And I will stop by daily to make sure that day happens!

@Cottonwood: Thanks for the info on proper terminology. Now I don't have to say the gray boxy thingies!:wink:

I'm going with 4/5/16.

The blue or red spots on the map are both great locations because they're better than having to go around the building if you're coming from the wrong direction. These will be much easier for travelers to spot. And I don't mind the walk to the building. I'm not in a rush! :)

I would think they would at least move them down (and upgrade) to the new main SC location, so they'd have 16 total stalls in a corner that would never get ICEd. Like they did with the two NJ Turnpike locations.

Somehow I don't imagine them uprooting, and then re-installing older gen equipment. I could be wrong, but I doubt it's worth their effort.

What I'd guess is that the new pedestals represents an expansion of 8 additional stalls, taking the site from 4 stalls to 12. If they were targeting 16, I'd bet they'd be all new crates, and in either case they'd be carting the old gear away.

Or I could be completely wrong (and rather hope I am).

Somehow I don't imagine them uprooting, and then re-installing older gen equipment. I could be wrong, but I doubt it's worth their effort.

What I'd guess is that the new pedestals represents an expansion of 8 additional stalls, taking the site from 4 stalls to 12. If they were targeting 16, I'd bet they'd be all new crates, and in either case they'd be carting the old gear away.

Or I could be completely wrong (and rather hope I am).

I stopped over about an hour ago. the crew is Kentucky based. Looks like 12 stalls. They were VERY tight lipped.

I just spoke with the HMS Host representative (they lease/manage the rest stop). The plan is put in 12 new supercharging stations AND remove the 4 old ones.:biggrin:
The work crew is very tight lipped and have 'no comment'. They are nice guys and TM, as you all know, has strict rules that they make no comment.

I just spoke with the HMS Host representative (they lease/manage the rest stop). The plan is put in 12 new supercharging stations AND remove the 4 old ones.:biggrin:
The work crew is very tight lipped and have 'no comment'. They are nice guys and TM, as you all know, has strict rules that they make no comment.

Yeah, I realized that "moving" the 4 old ones wouldn't really work. To do that, they'd have to decommission them during the install of the new ones, so there would be no SC access for that period of time. And then to move them after the new SC come online, that would require some level of interruption/install/inspection again for the new location. So best to just leave them alone or remove them. They should just leave them.

Yeah, I realized that "moving" the 4 old ones wouldn't really work. To do that, they'd have to decommission them during the install of the new ones, so there would be no SC access for that period of time. And then to move them after the new SC come online, that would require some level of interruption/install/inspection again for the new location. So best to just leave them alone or remove them. They should just leave them.

Update: talked to a second management person st HMS Host: 12 in/4 stay....????
So, minimum we know is 12 going in. I see little reason to remove the old ones unless HMS host requested it as part of any expansion 'deal'

But really, what else would they do with the 4 old supercharger spaces? Make it more unenforced "clean fuel" spaces like the rest of that row? Install more L2 stations or non-supercharger L3 stations? It would seem cost-inefficient to remove them since they work just fine.

This SC station has been a blessing when dropping off our daughter at UD from Long Island. Glad to see them upgrading with more stalls for our EV/horses:)

Which North Jersey\LI SCs do you use - I'll be making this trip in the next few weeks from Western Suffolk, and EV Trip Planner has me going Syosset to Edison and then straight down to Newark; seems like a long run, especially in cold weather. I have a 90D and I used 1.3 speed, 72 cabin and 30 external, 200 lb payload.