Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Newark, DE

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Was there around noon today and experienced my first wait for a SC. There were two other Model S's that arrived just before me. I had to wait about 5 minutes for someone else to leave. A few minutes later I noticed two others waiting for a spot. They were there for a while. Charging started off slow as expected because I was the second one there on the Supercharger. After about 30 minutes when the other person left, mine finally started adding miles quickly and I got enough to just barely get to Woodbridge. They really do need to add more slots to this site.

- - - Updated - - -

Waiting for a charge. :-( One other car in front of me, one behind.

You might have been the silver that took my spot when I left. :)

Was there around noon today and experienced my first wait for a SC. There were two other Model S's that arrived just before me. I had to wait about 5 minutes for someone else to leave. A few minutes later I noticed two others waiting for a spot. They were there for a while. Charging started off slow as expected because I was the second one there on the Supercharger. After about 30 minutes when the other person left, mine finally started adding miles quickly and I got enough to just barely get to Woodbridge. They really do need to add more slots to this site.

- - - Updated - - -

Please don't hesitate to drop an email to 'ownership, at TM and *remind* them that more charging stations are needed there. I received a reply to my suggestion about 3-4 months ago indicating they are aware that more chargers are needed....But...maybe we can get it 'sooner than TM soon' with some more reminders.

If you left around 1pm then yes that was me taking your spot afterward. And that means at least 2 full hours of at least one Tesla waiting to charge today. Ouch. Anyway, glad you made it to Woodbridge OK. My charging experience was similar to yours -- limited to 80A initially, then bumped up to 140A or so once the car I was paired with (presumably) left.

I might pass through here this weekend, but it'll probably be super early AM if I do. Might skip for Woodbridge, but not sure. I dislike Woodbridge still, especially on the weekends. I don't know if I'll be able to make Glen Allen from Newark, though, keeping warm, and with the Wh/mi numbers I've been getting from my car lately.

First time waiting for a supercharger

Was south bound on I95, stopped at the DE rest station. My first time seeing a line at supercharging station.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    633.9 KB · Views: 85
Was south bound on I95, stopped at the DE rest station. My first time seeing a line at supercharging station.
Situations like this will only get worse unless more stations are added at Newark or another service center on the Northern Maryland section of I 95.
Personally, Newark is at/near the junction of I95 towards Philly/the NJ turnpike and route 1 and would be my first choice for more stations.
I encourage all who read or participate on this thread to email or call Fremont via NASales or your DS to request more stations on I 95 in the northern Maryland/Delaware /southern NJ area

Theoretically, the most efficient action Tesla can take to add capacity for the bulk of traffic (i.e. I-95 travelers) is to increase the number of plugs in Newark. And I hope they do so regardless of any other nearby locations that might be in the works -- see Cottonwood's post from two years ago:

Capacity of Superchargers Using an Erlang-B Model

If they want to reduce Newark congestion but also use the opportunity to enable / facilitate additional routes, I'd suggest they need to add locations in Baltimore and Philly.

For Baltimore, I think White Marsh or Arundel Mills would be good locations (even if not one of those two specific shopping centers). The DC suburb location on the latest "coming soon" map - wherever it might be - could help as well, and could serve as a supplement/replacement for Bethesda, which is arguably a worse supercharger than Newark.

For Philly, I'm actually a bit surprised they haven't yet added a supercharger in the King of Prussia / Plymouth Meeting area. Barring that, perhaps Chester or Center City (which I know could be difficult for many reasons). Allentown (in the works) will help some travelers who might otherwise rely on Newark, but I expect a Philly-area station would help even more.

Even though the other nearby rest stops along I-95 in MD (Chesapeake House and Maryland House) would be quite convenient for supercharging, personally I'd rather see locations that could each plausibly cover more than one route, even if they're slightly further off the interstate.

I plan to share my thoughts directly with Tesla once I have time to put them together a little more coherently in email, though I imagine someone from Tesla will read this post soon. And that begs the question: any thoughts on contacting NASales vs DS / local service center vs the supercharger email address?

Theoretically, the most efficient action Tesla can take to add capacity for the bulk of traffic (i.e. I-95 travelers) is to increase the number of plugs in Newark. And I hope they do so regardless of any other nearby locations that might be in the works -- see Cottonwood's post from two years ago:

Capacity of Superchargers Using an Erlang-B Model

If they want to reduce Newark congestion but also use the opportunity to enable / facilitate additional routes, I'd suggest they need to add locations in Baltimore and Philly.

For Baltimore, I think White Marsh or Arundel Mills would be good locations (even if not one of those two specific shopping centers). The DC suburb location on the latest "coming soon" map - wherever it might be - could help as well, and could serve as a supplement/replacement for Bethesda, which is arguably a worse supercharger than Newark.

For Philly, I'm actually a bit surprised they haven't yet added a supercharger in the King of Prussia / Plymouth Meeting area. Barring that, perhaps Chester or Center City (which I know could be difficult for many reasons). Allentown (in the works) will help some travelers who might otherwise rely on Newark, but I expect a Philly-area station would help even more.

Even though the other nearby rest stops along I-95 in MD (Chesapeake House and Maryland House) would be quite convenient for supercharging, personally I'd rather see locations that could each plausibly cover more than one route, even if they're slightly further off the interstate.

I plan to share my thoughts directly with Tesla once I have time to put them together a little more coherently in email, though I imagine someone from Tesla will read this post soon. And that begs the question: any thoughts on contacting NASales vs DS / local service center vs the supercharger email address?

I contacted all three:wink:.......I suggest contacting as many individuals in TM that you may have a relationship with as well.......another reason why I miss jerome:crying:

Newark has been upgraded to 135kW as per other posts in this thread.

I passed by about 10:30am on Thanksgiving and only two stalls in use. Sounds like 30 minutes later they were full! They need another four on the southbound side, and another either on northbound. And move them away from the building!

Speaking very parochially, NB from DC to NY is not so bad anymore, because of the weirdly
large number of chargers in Edison/Hamilton/Cranbury.

Southbound from NYC to DC is a pita; DE is the only option on the way down.

Am not looking forward to tomorrow.

For many people, starting the trip with 100% charge isn't a big deal, and if you do that in DC to go north, you can pretty easily stretch to Hamilton or the NJTP for a relatively quick boost before your final destination. But no matter how high your SOC is when you start the southbound trip from NJ/NY, you'd have to charge pretty far into the taper at Hamilton or NJTP (and therefore spend a lot of time stopped) in order to comfortably make it back to DC without a stop in Newark. It's 192 miles from Molly Pitcher to Tyson's Corner VA, just to arbitrarily pick a northern VA destination. I'd want at least 225 on my battery (and significantly more in cold weather) before starting that trip without Newark.

I'm going to have this problem tomorrow as well, and none of the NJ superchargers will be good options for me because I'll be heading to DC from Barnegat NJ. I'm just hoping an after-dinner departure will help.