Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Newark, DE

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Speaking very parochially, NB from DC to NY is not so bad anymore, because of the weirdly
large number of chargers in Edison/Hamilton/Cranbury.

Southbound from NYC to DC is a pita; DE is the only option on the way down.

Am not looking forward to tomorrow.

Northbound is equally a pain if you're coming from south (not coming from DC proper) because you need to go from Woodbridge unless you're crazy enough to stop in Bethesda. From Woodbridge to the next northbound SC is 205 miles to Hamilton Township (which also is a bit off the path to get to). I'm still hoping for a Baltimore area SC. This will let me do Woodbridge to Baltimore to East Brunswick. If they could replace Woodbridge with something more convenient too, that would be icing on the cake. At least Woodbridge is generally not at all congested.

For people hitting Hamilton, especially north bound, you can use exit 3A on I-195, then make a left at the first light there. Nav will find the right route (like 2 more easy turns) and you can come out on 130 just a hair past the supercharger and have a much easier time getting in without having to take that stupid jug handle at that super long light when using the exit off of I-195 for 130. It's a tiny bit longer, distance wise, but it's almost always faster time wise for me. I used to do a lot of work in that area and got to know my way around pretty well.

If you're heading north your best bet is to just take I-295 up to I-195, then do the above, then if you're heading further north hit the TP from there. Save on tolls. Reverse is possible southbound and exit the TP at 195, but you don't get the exit 3A on 195 speed-up when heading southbound since it's be backtracking a couple of miles.

Back to DE, on my north bound trips I've been hitting Woodbridge and skipping it for my NJ destinations (southern NJ), so no biggie there. For southbound, sometimes I'll hit Newark for a 100% top-off charge while eating breakfast or lunch there, then skipping Woodbridge for Glen Allen. It's doable even in the winter if you keep your speed in check in an 85. See some of my first posts on this forum for my first supercharger trip ever before Woodbridge was built. :)

I do the same northbound if I feel like spending a bunch of time in Glen Allen for some reason, but I've been tending to just top off enough for Woodbridge lately, even though I hate getting to/from Woodbridge and 95 I hate waiting around for that 100% charge when I don't have anything useful to do while waiting. I won't attempt Glen Allen<->Newark without at least 97-98% SoC. I've arrived with single digit miles at the end of that leg too many times not to.

Tomorrow I'm probably skipping Newark, to avoid a potential wait, and heading for Woodbridge (can get there with 90% easily, at speed, with heat), Glen Allen, South Hill, Burlington, then home. Should be all really short stops except Burlington where we might do some shopping if it's not too late in the evening.

4 pm, full up. Pulled in and took last open spot.
47372d597f2faf39e410aef9eeff53c7.jpg

I don't disagree that they need more stalls in Newark, but if on the busiest travel day of the year the largest reported wait was only 30 minutes, thats really not very bad. I've seen much longer lines at the gas stations on the NJTP.

I don't disagree that they need more stalls in Newark, but if on the busiest travel day of the year the largest reported wait was only 30 minutes, thats really not very bad. I've seen much longer lines at the gas stations on the NJTP.

Tomorrow is the busiest day, and we've already had reports of 6-8 cars in line on previous holidays.

Tomorrow is the busiest day, and we've already had reports of 6-8 cars in line on previous holidays.

Yeah, I'm glad I left early this morning. When I got to Glen Allen, VA there were three other S passing through. When I got to Burlington, NC there were five S's... most I've ever seen there. I'm usually alone in Burlington, maybe one other car rarely. Three passed through South Hill, VA while I was there eating.

For the record, passed thru Newark around 2P today and we were the 3rd car. The line at the new Starbucks was pretty long so we charged for about 30 mins. My wife stayed in the car and reported that a few cars came through while we were away - so consistently 3/4 full midday on a busy travel day.

On the other hand, the new Tinton Falls Sc was great! We pulled in a little before 11 and the outlet parking lot was already full but there was only one other Model S charging. PaulKVA rolled in before we headed off for shopping so we had 3/8 of the stalls full. The parking lot was an absolute mess when we came back out, but the Superchargers were all clear.

Yeah I'm quite glad we picked up the extra miles at Tinton Falls, and glad we could say a quick hello. Easy getting in & out too, despite the mess in the rest of the parking lot. With all the driving we did with my sister and her family later in the day, we rolled into Newark with only 30 miles remaining. The wait (at 10pm!) to claim a charging space in DE was ~15 minutes, and then of course we had to charge at half speed before the car at the paired space left. After we left at 11pm there was only one other Model S remaining.

Our only consolation was that waiting to charge is far better (I think) than sitting/crawling in traffic.

Same posters are up at Joyce Kilmer rest stop. Raffle is run by TMC member Pollux with proceeds going to his wife's organization that promotes carbon tax in Mass. Raffle winner gets funds net of tax to cover a P90D. $250 to enter. Search site if you want a ticket. Only 2000 will be sold.

Same posters are up at Joyce Kilmer rest stop. Raffle is run by TMC member Pollux with proceeds going to his wife's organization that promotes carbon tax in Mass. Raffle winner gets funds net of tax to cover a P90D. $250 to enter. Search site if you want a ticket. Only 2000 will be sold.

In case anyone is wondering, this important raffle is totally legit. My wife and I had the distinct pleasure of meeting Alan and Jessica and their son (with his newfound frog in a cup) at their home in mid-August. They were so afraid that the winner of said raffle might have to sell their prized new Tesla due to the significant tax burden that they structured the raffle to pay the taxes on the vehicle. (very cool and forward thinking IMO!)

I contacted all three:wink:.......I suggest contacting as many individuals in TM that you may have a relationship with as well.......another reason why I miss jerome:crying:

I ended up writing to the supercharger team, as that address seems most relevant and I don't really have any specific contacts at Tesla who I keep in touch with. I got an encouraging but predictably vague response. I would guess in the fullness of time we will see expansion at Newark as well as new locations along the I-95 corridor, but I can't even begin to guess at the timing, nor can I guess at whether the congestion at Newark rises to the level folks have seen at some of the California locations that Tesla has already expanded.

I will also mention Newark congestion at my next service center visit, which probably won't be for a while since I just got 4 new tires and already did the seat belt inspection. I'm expecting to take another trip up to southeastern NJ in February with limited charging options near my destination, so Newark will be critical for me.

I'm personally somewhat torn here. I'd really like them to expand capacity at Newark and fill in I-95 in MD/PA/NJ with additional density, given that having a wait can counteract the marketing benefit of the supercharger. But I'd also like to see them enable new routes by adding locations like Harrisburg and the I-81 corridor, more of NY state and the southeastern US, and others too numerous to list here. And I know we can't have it all immediately, so I still wonder about the best way to be constructive here. ("I want it all and I want it right now" just sounds like whining / first world problems.)

I got lucky today, arrived at 2pm and there were 2 chargers open. this is what it looked like 30 minutes later when I was about to leave. 7 Teslas (4 charging, 3 waiting) and I saw another come and leave while I was there (driver said he would skip and just go to next one in NJ). I am very glad to see Allentown getting started, I can't wait to use the I-81 route to NY instead of the 95 corridor!

Attachments

• IMG_5692.JPG
    IMG_5692.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 114
I was there on Friday at about 2pm and I was one of two. I was there about 45 minutes and in that time one left and another came.

I'm either stopping Newark or Cranberry tomorrow. Newark is better for me. Cranberry to home is a stretch.