Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - North Conway, NH

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The community wisdom is that it's eventually going to go at the Irving Oil / Circle K gas station in North Conway (1500 White Mountain Hwy). This is based on a presentation from Irving in summer 2019 listing it as a proposed location that they were in discussions with Tesla about (originally mentioned here. I don't think anyone has heard anything about it since though.

1624106445392.png

I really wish we knew what the trouble is with North Conway and Bar Harbor. Is it local planning boards giving them trouble or does Tesla just not understand how important it is to prioritize destination Superchargers. They are blanketing 128 and 495 with Superchargers, the Littleton one is 10 minutes South of me and the Tyngsboro one is 10 minutes North. Most people around here have home charging so these do us no good. The places that we need Superchargers are at locations where we travel to, i.e. Northern NH (North Conway), Acadia National Park (Bar Harbor), Newport (Middleton), all of which have been in limbo for years. In the Berkshires they put a second Supercharger in Great Barrington which is a short distance from the one in Lee but they have no plans for Route 2 (I suggest North Adams) which has no coverage at all. They also have no plans for Midcoast Maine, they should put one in Rockport or Camden. When I go to Maine, which we did last Saturday, we don't want to be on 95 after Portland, we want to be on Route 1 but the last Supercharger there is Freeport.

I just assume that they deprioritized vacation destinations as a result of COVID, in the same way they deprioritized northern ones because of the Canadian border closure.

To be honest though, all the people coming up to their vacations homes can charge at 2nd home, and there are a couple of hotels with a charger so maybe not too big a deal.

And VW money will be adding CCS/CHAdeMO in Bangor, Belfast and Ellsworth, amongst other locations, in the next 12 months, and maybe Tesla will piggyback and try to get in at those locations as they did in Skowhegan and Jackman. Even if not, a CHAdeMO adapter could soon be more valuable to Tesla owners in Maine.

I just assume that they deprioritized vacation destinations as a result of COVID, in the same way they deprioritized northern ones because of the Canadian border closure.

To be honest though, all the people coming up to their vacations homes can charge at 2nd home, and there are a couple of hotels with a charger so maybe not too big a deal.

And VW money will be adding CCS/CHAdeMO in Bangor, Belfast and Ellsworth, amongst other locations, in the next 12 months, and maybe Tesla will piggyback and try to get in at those locations as they did in Skowhegan and Jackman. Even if not, a CHAdeMO adapter could soon be more valuable to Tesla owners in Maine.
I really don't want to spend 450 bucks on a CHAdeMO adapter which only supplies 50KW. Would be nice if Tesla released a CCS adapter in the US, supposedly they have one in Korea which also uses CCS1.

Reactions: kayak1
I really wish we knew what the trouble is with North Conway and Bar Harbor. Is it local planning boards giving them trouble or does Tesla just not understand how important it is to prioritize destination Superchargers. They are blanketing 128 and 495 with Superchargers, the Littleton one is 10 minutes South of me and the Tyngsboro one is 10 minutes North. Most people around here have home charging so these do us no good. The places that we need Superchargers are at locations where we travel to, i.e. Northern NH (North Conway), Acadia National Park (Bar Harbor), Newport (Middleton), all of which have been in limbo for years. In the Berkshires they put a second Supercharger in Great Barrington which is a short distance from the one in Lee but they have no plans for Route 2 (I suggest North Adams) which has no coverage at all. They also have no plans for Midcoast Maine, they should put one in Rockport or Camden. When I go to Maine, which we did last Saturday, we don't want to be on 95 after Portland, we want to be on Route 1 but the last Supercharger there is Freeport.

Maine is putting a Chademo in Ellsworth that will help the Bar Harbor crowd, and one in Belfast. I totally agree that Down East needs more Tesla Supercharging, such as Ellsworth or Trenton, and maybe Eastport or Lubec. MDI is too crowded for a SC.

Having to loop up to Bangor/Brewer is a real PITA since so many folks use Rt. 1.

For local charging, Lyman-Morse Camden PlugShare - Find Electric Vehicle Charging Locations Near You has three 16kw chargers. Free, easy parking, nice place on the harbor.

Reactions: J_Nixon
When I go to Maine, which we did last Saturday, we don't want to be on 95 after Portland, we want to be on Route 1 but the last Supercharger there is Freeport.
Too each his own. I'd rather do my own dental work than sit in Rt 1 traffic one minute longer than necessary on the trip to MDI. I95 to Bangor, 395 to Brewer, quick stop at the Brewer SC, then top off at one of the public L2's on the island, most often in Southwest Harbor in the municipal lot.

Too each his own. I'd rather do my own dental work than sit in Rt 1 traffic one minute longer than necessary on the trip to MDI. I95 to Bangor, 395 to Brewer, quick stop at the Brewer SC, then top off at one of the public L2's on the island, most often in Southwest Harbor in the municipal lot.

I-95 is boring.
The bad US 1 traffic is normally all further south.
Much nicer driving if you can get off in Augusta, take ME-3 to Belfast and then take US-1 from there.
You can get slowed down a little that way entering Ellsworth, but if you take the Water St side street instead of continuing straight through downtown it can reduce the delay there as well. (If you're not in a hurry, you can take Water St in Ellsworth and keep going all the way to Trenton).
ABRP says it's actually a few minutes faster and uses 9% less charge.

For Bar Harbor, Brewer's indeed only 45 miles away, and for North Conway, Tilton's 65 miles away and Ashland's a diversion but only 50 miles away, so for day tripping there's Supercharging. If people are staying somewhere, I'd expect them to try to find a place with destination charging anyway.

Reactions: kayak1
I-95 is boring.
Yes, but I find fast and boring less stressful than traffic and scenic. Besides, I'm focusing on driving, not sight-seeing, and heading north it's usually late and dark; nothing to see anyway.

I've timed the Rt 3 through Belfast route; it's essentially the same and 95->395->1A. I'll probably stick to the latter until quick charging is available on the Rt 3 route.
You can get slowed down a little that way entering Ellsworth, but if you take the Water St side street instead of continuing straight through downtown it can reduce the delay there as well. (If you're not in a hurry, you can take Water St in Ellsworth and keep going all the way to Trenton).
Shh! Don't give away the secret! That's a great route for avoiding the Ellsworth stripmall traffic....

Yes, but I find fast and boring less stressful than traffic and scenic. Besides, I'm focusing on driving, not sight-seeing, and heading north it's usually late and dark; nothing to see anyway.

I've timed the Rt 3 through Belfast route; it's essentially the same and 95->395->1A. I'll probably stick to the latter until quick charging is available on the Rt 3 route.

Fair enough for night-time travel.

Anyway:
Brewer is 45 miles from Bar Harbor, ME.
Ashland, NH is 50 miles from North Conway, NH.
Tifton, NH is 64 miles from North Conway, NH.

Until new locations are added, day trippers will need to charge at one of those locations, and people staying should look for hotels and other locations with destination charging.

I think that given that Tesla already has Superchargers at Hannafords, and that the DCFCs at Belfast and Ellsworth will both be at Hannaford could be an opportunity for Tesla. Belfast in particular would help open up multiple routes.

Belfast (60 miles from Bar Harbor) in particular would help open up the US-1 route, while Ellsworth would open up areas further Downeast.

Bar Harbor (again) has the ferry to Yarmouth, NS, but it's closed for 2021.

Shh! Don't give away the secret! That's a great route for avoiding the Ellsworth stripmall traffic....
Too late. I guess you'll have to report my post to a mod.

The community wisdom is that it's eventually going to go at the Irving Oil / Circle K gas station in North Conway (1500 White Mountain Hwy). This is based on a presentation from Irving in summer 2019 listing it as a proposed location that they were in discussions with Tesla about (originally mentioned here. I don't think anyone has heard anything about it since though.

View attachment 675154

Right, I saw that graphic a couple years ago. I thought maybe there had been some kind of update since then. :(

If you're just going up there for an afternoon it's not really possible to home charge. A supercharger up in the Conway area would be great. Right now I stop at the Rochester one on the way back but that's cutting it close. I'd rather have more than one choice.

Fair enough for night-time travel.

Anyway:
Ashland, NH is 50 miles from North Conway, NH.
Tifton, NH is 64 miles from North Conway, NH.

Until new locations are added, day trippers will need to charge at one of those locations, and people staying should look for hotels and other locations with destination charging.

Mileage wise maybe it doesn't seem too bad but these are really out of the way for me or anyone else who primarily uses Route 16.

View attachment 675154
With the Irving Oil/Circle K Meredith, NH find today, I think this increases the likelihood of this being a match.

Reactions: mociaf9
FYI the North Conway coming soon pin on Tesla's site changed from 2022 to Q4'21 on or about August 3rd. So this location may be in permitting or nearing construction. Anyone up that way should keep an eye out for signs of construction or local news. Other Q4 builds are permitted already or being permitted now.

There is a Tesla Owners group ride up Mt Washington coming up on October 2nd - you can be sure those on the ride will be tasked to scour the region looking for clues :)

FYI the North Conway coming soon pin on Tesla's site changed from 2022 to Q4'21 on or about August 3rd. So this location may be in permitting or nearing construction. Anyone up that way should keep an eye out for signs of construction or local news. Other Q4 builds are permitted already or being permitted now.

There is a Tesla Owners group ride up Mt Washington coming up on October 2nd - you can be sure those on the ride will be tasked to scour the region looking for clues :)

Is there a link with more info on the Mt. Washington group ride?

Is there a link with more info on the Mt. Washington group ride?
I think this should work:

Also, a few other upcoming events as well are listed in this tweet, with info on how to get added to a notification list:

Reactions: JWardell