Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Northville, MI

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I noticed what appears to be some sort of charging station construction at Walmart (Grand River/Novi). Not sure if it's Tesla or another vendor.
That Walmart is where Electrify America plans to put it's chargers in Novi. And, while Tesla has in a few instances placed superchargers at Walmarts, it's still pretty rare for them to put them there. As opposed to EA where the vast majority of their installations are at Walmarts. So, the default assumption should be that what you saw is for EA. If it ends up turning out otherwise, that will be a nice surprise for Tesla owners/drivers.

Thumbs up for keeping your eyes open, though.

Noticed yesterday that the Walmart on N Market Place Blvd, Lansing, MI. south of I96 had 4 Electrify America CCS 150/350 combinations with 8 total stalls. We did not have time to test them, but they appeared to be operational. Wonder if Walmart is trying to counter the Meijer Tesla connection?
IMG_0007.jpg
IMG_0008.jpg

I talked with both the Wixom and Novi building departments today. Both say they have NO applications on file for any Tesla charging stations. They did mention the permit for the new station at Wal-Mart in Novi, but that is not a Tesla station. Their response suggests they are actually in tune with charging station applications though, which suggest the "there's no permit application" answer is an informed and correct answer.

Pictures from June 15th. Electrify America is installing four 350kW chargers and four slower ones. Still not clear to me how parking will work. Not sure if the cables are long enough for parking on the other side or they will redo the back.
EA's chargers can only serve 1 car at a time. According to them, the dual cables are to make it so that it doesn't matter which side or end of your car the charging port is on, one will reach. This without having to deal with a significantly longer cable that needs some sort of automatic retraction system, etc. So, they've really installed 2- 350 kW CCS chargers (4 plugs). 1- 150 kW CCS charger (2 plugs). And 1- dual 50 kW CHAdeMO / 150 kW CCS charger. Parking will work by parking your car directly in front of the charger. Since only 4 cars can be served at any one time, they only need 4 spaces. That super wide stall at the right is weird though.

May be wishful thinking but seeing a lot of work being done in the Meijer parking lot on Grand River and Wixom.
Wondering if that might be a supercharger install ?
Thoughts
On June 3rd, JMatt reported that both the Wixom and Novi building departments had said there weren't any applications for Tesla charging stations with them (see quote below). So, on the basis that applications for superchargers have invariably taken longer than a month to process and approve, and then for work to begin, I'm officially going to doubt that it's a supercharger. Of course, this relies past history being an accurate predictor of the future (not always the case). And on JMatt having been given correct and up-to-date information by the building depts. But that point was also addressed in their comment. So, still worth a look if anyone is in the area, but not at all likely, unfortunately.
I talked with both the Wixom and Novi building departments today. Both say they have NO applications on file for any Tesla charging stations. They did mention the permit for the new station at Wal-Mart in Novi, but that is not a Tesla station. Their response suggests they are actually in tune with charging station applications though, which suggest the "there's no permit application" answer is an informed and correct answer.

Last edited:
On June 3rd, JMatt reported that both the Wixom and Novi building departments had said there weren't any applications for Tesla charging stations with them (see quote below). So, on the basis that applications for superchargers have invariably taken longer than a month to process and approve, and then for work to begin, I'm officially going to doubt that it's a supercharger. Of course, this relies past history being an accurate predictor of the future (not always the case). And on JMatt having been given correct and up-to-date information by the building depts. But that point was also addressed in their comment. So, still worth a look if anyone is in the area, but not at all likely, unfortunately.
I was at the meijers tonight and saw construction but was in a bit of a rush and couldn't check it out. With a quick glance It looks like they are just redoing the entrance but can stop by this week and see if there is anything more.

The Novi Electrify America Chargers seem to be working now.
Session fee 1$
1-75kw $0.25/min
1-125kw $0.69/min
1-350kw $0.99/min
Idlefee $0.40 after 10min
I won’t be able to use them as I nether have Chademo nor CCS :-(

Attachments

• E05A45C8-2BD0-4626-998B-A2CBDC1D0677.jpeg
    E05A45C8-2BD0-4626-998B-A2CBDC1D0677.jpeg
    451 KB · Views: 66
The Novi Electrify America Chargers seem to be working now.
Session fee 1$
1-75kw $0.25/min
1-125kw $0.69/min
1-350kw $0.99/min
Idlefee $0.40 after 10min
I won’t be able to use them as I nether have Chademo nor CCS :-(

Too bad Tesla does not support CCS fast charging yet. I would love to also be able to use the EA network. Not the Chademo port either. that is too slow and that adapter costs too much. I hope a ccs adapter is cheaper.

Their best option IMO was to build it where the old Dennys was right outside Twelve oaks. They could have put up a bunch of stalls and had a cafe or something inside. It's walking distance to the mall and other restaurants and right of of the freeway.

Too bad that location is either going to be or already is a Chick Fil A.

If and when...I'll bet it will be at a Meijer. Most in Michigan are...so it would be rare to go against this trend.
Not sure if there is any thread on this yet, or if Tesla has really indicated exactly where the Novi Supercharger is going to be. I would bet its going to go at the Meijer off of Wixom road (49900 Grand River Ave, Wixom, MI 48393) only about 3 miles off the Pin drop on the map.

Feel free to add any information if it has been released, I figured I'd start a thread as I didnt see one yet and the Tesla website claims completion by the end of 2018.

The bigger question is where the service center will be. Maybe that’s hanging up the SC location