TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Supercharger - Novi, MI

Discussion in 'Midwest/Great Lakes' started by Adonzil, Apr 14, 2018.

1. mociaf9

mociaf9 Active Member

That Walmart is where Electrify America plans to put it's chargers in Novi. And, while Tesla has in a few instances placed superchargers at Walmarts, it's still pretty rare for them to put them there. As opposed to EA where the vast majority of their installations are at Walmarts. So, the default assumption should be that what you saw is for EA. If it ends up turning out otherwise, that will be a nice surprise for Tesla owners/drivers.

Thumbs up for keeping your eyes open, though.

2. william5543

william5543 Member

Noticed yesterday that the Walmart on N Market Place Blvd, Lansing, MI. south of I96 had 4 Electrify America CCS 150/350 combinations with 8 total stalls. We did not have time to test them, but they appeared to be operational. Wonder if Walmart is trying to counter the Meijer Tesla connection? IMG_0007.jpg IMG_0008.jpg

3. mhinterseher

mhinterseher Member

8A893DDF-7AEB-4060-B7ED-345F91E2B71B.jpeg F8325140-1FAB-4637-8441-177A77AD4B5A.jpeg 52AD6037-656B-4447-ACD5-5D1B1DEA5ED9.jpeg I was at Novi Walmart today and confirmed it will be Electrify America powered. Looks like 8 chargers. See pictures.

Attached Files:

• Informative x 3
  4. JMatt

JMatt Member

I talked with both the Wixom and Novi building departments today. Both say they have NO applications on file for any Tesla charging stations. They did mention the permit for the new station at Wal-Mart in Novi, but that is not a Tesla station. Their response suggests they are actually in tune with charging station applications though, which suggest the "there's no permit application" answer is an informed and correct answer.

• Informative x 3
  5. mhinterseher

mhinterseher Member

Pictures from June 15th. Electrify America is installing four 350kW chargers and four slower ones. Still not clear to me how parking will work. Not sure if the cables are long enough for parking on the other side or they will redo the back.
    5ACEA6E2-80CF-4DA0-9F43-790E9D42A657.jpeg 044A01CF-0280-474D-9D84-63CAF822E8BE.jpeg

6. mociaf9

mociaf9 Active Member

EA's chargers can only serve 1 car at a time. According to them, the dual cables are to make it so that it doesn't matter which side or end of your car the charging port is on, one will reach. This without having to deal with a significantly longer cable that needs some sort of automatic retraction system, etc. So, they've really installed 2- 350 kW CCS chargers (4 plugs). 1- 150 kW CCS charger (2 plugs). And 1- dual 50 kW CHAdeMO / 150 kW CCS charger. Parking will work by parking your car directly in front of the charger. Since only 4 cars can be served at any one time, they only need 4 spaces. That super wide stall at the right is weird though.

7. mrau

mrau Authorized Driver

Possible construction.

On the Michigan Group @Mhycki posted this:

hey group
    May be wishful thinking but seeing a lot of work being done in the Meijer parking lot on Grand River and Wixom.
    Wondering if that might be a supercharger install ?
    Thoughts

8. mociaf9

mociaf9 Active Member

#28 mociaf9, Jun 25, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
    On June 3rd, JMatt reported that both the Wixom and Novi building departments had said there weren't any applications for Tesla charging stations with them (see quote below). So, on the basis that applications for superchargers have invariably taken longer than a month to process and approve, and then for work to begin, I'm officially going to doubt that it's a supercharger. Of course, this relies past history being an accurate predictor of the future (not always the case). And on JMatt having been given correct and up-to-date information by the building depts. But that point was also addressed in their comment. So, still worth a look if anyone is in the area, but not at all likely, unfortunately.

9. eineins

eineins New Member

I was at the meijers tonight and saw construction but was in a bit of a rush and couldn't check it out. With a quick glance It looks like they are just redoing the entrance but can stop by this week and see if there is anything more.

10. JMatt

JMatt Member

The Meijer construction is a new Bridgestone/Firestone store in an out lot. I stopped by over the weekend and read the posted building permit.

• Informative x 2
  11. Bigsam411

Bigsam411 Member

Is this one ever going to get built? Seems like I have been expecting it since 2017.

12. IT Geek

IT Geek Member

Tell that to the folks in Escanaba...

13. Bigsam411

Bigsam411 Member

Oh well. It will eventually come. I don't really even need to use that one but it would be nice to have every now and then when I forget to plug in or whatever. The Livonia one came in handy on Sunday as I needed both groceries and a fill up from 25%.

14. mhinterseher

mhinterseher Member

The Novi Electrify America Chargers seem to be working now.
    Session fee 1$
    1-75kw $0.25/min
    1-125kw $0.69/min
    1-350kw $0.99/min
    Idlefee $0.40 after 10min
    I won’t be able to use them as I nether have Chademo nor CCS :-(

Attached Files:

15. Bigsam411

Bigsam411 Member

Too bad Tesla does not support CCS fast charging yet. I would love to also be able to use the EA network. Not the Chademo port either. that is too slow and that adapter costs too much. I hope a ccs adapter is cheaper.

16. fomite

fomite Member

Any updates on the supercharger in Novi, MI? The Tesla website still says 2019.

17. IT Geek

IT Geek Member

And in a few weeks it will say 2020...

There's not even a permit that anyone has found for a Novi site yet, so I wouldn't expect anything anytime soon.

18. Bigsam411

Bigsam411 Member

Their best option IMO was to build it where the old Dennys was right outside Twelve oaks. They could have put up a bunch of stalls and had a cafe or something inside. It's walking distance to the mall and other restaurants and right of of the freeway.

Too bad that location is either going to be or already is a Chick Fil A.

19. IT Geek

IT Geek Member

If and when...I'll bet it will be at a Meijer. Most in Michigan are...so it would be rare to go against this trend.

• Like x 1
  20. EVgeek

EVgeek Member

The bigger question is where the service center will be. Maybe that’s hanging up the SC location