Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

supercharger parking stall who owns them? How to deal with gas cars using them?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not against putting friendly educational notes on people's cars, but keep in mind that EV drivers and especially Tesla drivers already have a bit of an image of being elitist and out of touch (whether that's deserved or not). Putting a fake citation or a passive-aggressive note might work in some cases, but it risks a reactionary response: "who the hell are you to tell me where I can and can't park?" Once you've gotten someone thinking this way, it's really hard to walk back from that, and you may be moving someone from an honest mistake out of ignorance to intentional action against BEV owners.

I'd encourage you to make sure your notes and conversations are friendly, even if they need to be firm.

Since the spots are generally owned by the adjacent businesses, I'd also encourage you to talk to a manager/owner for that business, and especially make it clear if you are or were being prevented from charging. You don't need to convince them to be altruistic, you need to show them that it's simply good business to make sure that there are charging spots available.

I’m a proud owner of a Dual Motor Model 3 and I also happen to be a hacker / developer. I’ve just built CarTags.me so people can tag events on the road like those trucks illegally blocking Superchargers and send to the police or nearby tow company. I think reporting is the best response to this problem. CarTags webapp can streamline the entire process for everyone. Once their tag is posted, it will send a clear message. They’re messing with the wrong people!

Here’s my tag - Cartags | TN-MODEL3D

If you really need to charge, here is one solution;
While I appreciate the thought there were plenty of extra empty SC spots. There was Zero NEED to move the truck.
Now, when I was on a road trip a couple months ago and stopped for the night at a hotel in Monroe,LA there were two EV charging spaces. One was filled by a trailer that had a pallet of mulch. (Landscaper?). The other spot was filled by a Discovery SUV.
I parked my Ford Expedition SUV right behind the Discovery, “trapping” him in the spot. I left a business card with my cell number and told the front desk lady when I checked in. She knew whose vehicle it was and 5 minimum later he went out. He didn’t call me, but chose to drive over the curb a couple times to get his truck out of the space and went to park in a regular parking spot. I went out 5 minutes later and moved my Expedition to a regular spot.
Next morning the EV spot was filled by a M3.
I figure whatever the motive of the Discovery owner, getting called to account by an even bigger Expedition EL owner wasn’t what he expected.
No, I don’t own a Tesla yet, I’ve had a M3 reservation for over 2 years and trying to decide between a M3 or MS lease return.
One area where Tesla COULD HELP, would be to specify the EV / SC spots be far away from the building. I don’t mind walking, and if the EV spots where less convenient ICEing would probably happen less