Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger Pay dates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I visited a supercharger today and was told by the Tesla Valet that cars purchased after 1/15/17 will NOT get free charging at superchargers. He did not know the rate that would be charged but thought it would be buy the "mile" and not the time charging.

He did say that currently all owners must pay .40 a minute for every minute the care is left "fully charged" (after a 5 minute grace period).

I asked if Tesla is honoring there wold that superchargers would be free for all original owners for cars bought before 1/15/17. He said yes to the best of his knowledge.

Has anyone else heard differently?

Tons of threads on the topic, with some questions still hotly debated esp item 2 below. Here is "my" summary:

- Yes, NEW cars purchased after that date will not longer enjoy free unlimited supercharging. Instead, these cars will get roughly 1,000 miles worth of juice annually. The details are still pending, including details on pricing after that.
- For existing cars, the unlimited charging is tied to the car (not the owner) and based on production date. Any car produced before 1/15/17 will get free unlimited, even if they are resold as CPO by Tesla after that date, ditto for private sales. There is a thread on TMC stating that much based on a direct answer from Tesla on the topic.
- The 40c per minute kicks in whenever you've reached your preset SoC (after the 5mn grace period). Your preset doesn't have to be 100%.

• Informative
Reactions: S4WRXTTCS
For existing cars, the unlimited charging is tied to the car (not the owner) and based on production date. Any car produced before 1/15/17 will get free unlimited, even if they are resold as CPO by Tesla after that date, ditto for private sales. There is a thread on TMC stating that much based on a direct answer from Tesla on the topic.

I don't think we know for sure on CPOs. There was one communication that it was based on the car, and a lot of communication that CPO buyers had to buy within the deadline to get unlimited supercharging. It is somewhat notable that all references to supercharging have been removed from the CPO listings.

I don't think we know for sure on CPOs. There was one communication that it was based on the car, and a lot of communication that CPO buyers had to buy within the deadline to get unlimited supercharging. It is somewhat notable that all references to supercharging have been removed from the CPO listings.

That's why I said this was "my" summary and that this item was still hotly debated :) The thread I was referring to is below, but I agree that we've yet to read an official/PR-approved statement from Tesla on the topic.

Supercharging will be grandfathered into used cars

Reactions: Az_Rael
The included for free figure is 400kw per car per year as stated by Tesla. It's not by the mile or by the minute. The easy way to think about it is just to divide this 400kW figure by your individual battery capacity to see how many "full" charges that would equate to and how many rated miles you would get.

The included for free figure is 400kw per car per year as stated by Tesla. It's not by the mile or by the minute. The easy way to think about it is just to divide this 400kW figure by your individual battery capacity to see how many "full" charges that would equate to and how many rated miles you would get.

You're correct re. how the "free" allocation is defined. There are still outstanding questions re. how the non-free juice will be charged for (per miles, per minute, a complex formula of many variables etc)

Two months ago, Tesla thought they'd announce the charging plan before the end of 2016. Since they haven't it could be that the policy proved more complicated than they anticipated.

Part of their justification for the new charging was to discourage or at least recover their costs from cars that are using more charging than they had predicted.

Another justification is to encourage more effective use of the superchargers - which is the reason for adding the idle fees.

While charging per kwh is achieves the first goal, it doesn't completely address the effectiveness goal, since it takes much longer to "top off" charging above 80%.

To maximize supercharger utilization, the policy would need to penalize not only for staying connected after charging, but also discourage owners from charging above 80% - so it's possible the "free 400 kwh" could evolve into a simpler "per minute" fee, which would discourage drivers from charging all the way to 100%.

Another detail is what happens to the credits if they aren't completely used in a year. Will the credits carryover?

And how will charges actually be made - will they be done from an account (like toll tags) or charged per usage (like a gas station)?

Hopefully Tesla will again extend the cutoff date for ordering an "unlimited free long distance charging" car, to provide at least a few weeks for potential customers to place an order before the new policy takes effect.