Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Phoenix, AZ - Agua Fria Freeway

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Two more on the way very soon to my understanding. Nothing positive but....

1. Biltmore Fashion Park
2. Paradise Valley Mall

I'll check the areas myself Monday/Tuesday time permitting. For those of you who are local, just have a heads up when you are in those areas, keep your eyes peeled for all the obvious beginnings of a supercharging site. Thanks everyone!
Seems like odd choices unless Tesla is trying to help wealthy Scottsdale owners with their electric bills. The one is this thread does the same thing but also aids travelers.

• Informative
Reactions: WFrank
Any response to post #21 could quickly escalate into ugliness so I strongly suggest it be ignored.
No reason to take that attitude. Current Arizona Superchargers are sketchy for long distance travel and those two locations do nothing to help. As for the need for urban Superchargers, the Phoenix area would surely have some need but this is an area of urban sprawl — LA of the desert. If you live in Phoenix, you already know, but if not Payson or somewhere nearby is one spot that really needs a SC for all travelers from Phoenix to points North and East. Hopefully it will be addressed soon if the Biltmore is the next priority.

Last edited:
Reactions: yngwiescruggs
Seems like odd choices unless Tesla is trying to help wealthy Scottsdale owners with their electric bills. The one is this thread does the same thing but also aids travelers.
If true: These locations are in a hotbed of luxury condos and apartments, a demographic of high-income folk with no place to put a personal charger. I agree that it doesn't add much to cross-country tripping but Tesla could move a ton of cars in this market if they solve the issue of where to fill up.

Reactions: Sasmania
If true: These locations are in a hotbed of luxury condos and apartments, a demographic of high-income folk with no place to put a personal charger. I agree that it doesn't add much to cross-country tripping but Tesla could move a ton of cars in this market if they solve the issue of where to fill up.
Many Tesla owners seem to be too trapped in their 4-bed/3-bath/white-picket fence bubble to realize this lol.

Many Tesla owners seem to be too trapped in their 4-bed/3-bath/white-picket fence bubble to realize this lol.
It’s not that there are no condo and apartment dwellers but AZ has been behind on getting SC just to travel the state. And Phoenix is not San Francisco, where so many residents, even detached homeowners, have either no garage or a shed-sized one. I see your location is Seattle and if you don’t know, AZ finally just got a Tucson/SE Arizona SC a month ago — and as someone noted above Payson and Globe remain as huge holes. The Biltmore Shopping Center is within walking distance of the former home of President Reagan’s mom, if that gives you some idea of its neighborhood demographics. Moving it above either Globe or Payson is a joke.

I noticed a poster said that even if it didn’t help many people travel distances it would help sell cars in that exclusive neighborhood. That may be true but If that was the driving force then Tesla has just introduced a new criterion for SC placement. I’ll see if they can put one in my S Chandler neighborhood. There are lots of wealthy potential customers way down here, too :)

Last edited:
Yea, I'd love to see Payson and Globe too even though I generally just go to Flagstaff but I would say any in-town chargers WILL sell significantly more cars than the mountain sites. We also have to think about the Model 3 which will be flooding the market in the next year or so and could have lots of local users. But remember the 3 customers will be paying for the electric so this is not the $ drain on Tesla that all of us free Supercharging S & X users currently enjoy. Either way, I'm just glad to see them adding new sites in AZ at a faster pace than the last year...

Reactions: tmoz
If the trigger is pulled to place 20 Superchargers at BFP they more than likely will be built in this location (see photos). Either 20 in a row or two rows of ten. There are lots of markings on the ground identifying SRP power potentials and future conduit runs. To my understanding NOTHING is firm yet, however, fingers crossed, very possible. Photos.

PVM is a no go, however there will be one in that city in 2018. As to where, your guess is as good as mine.

Now..... let’s all focus this thread back to the Tesla Supercharger under construction. If the Mods want to move posts to a new speculative thread about BFP that’s ok:)
My bad for the side track. (S)

Attachments

• 56EF286B-6263-4A5F-92E6-36419B5A7999.jpeg
    56EF286B-6263-4A5F-92E6-36419B5A7999.jpeg
    669.7 KB · Views: 138
  • 8A3646AD-7A77-4B48-9352-B7A5AF1F2F69.jpeg
    8A3646AD-7A77-4B48-9352-B7A5AF1F2F69.jpeg
    841.5 KB · Views: 90
  • BCE803F3-F16C-4109-858C-5827C534129A.jpeg
    BCE803F3-F16C-4109-858C-5827C534129A.jpeg
    824.6 KB · Views: 107
  • C2FEF741-7B12-4E19-8781-5716DCB0FC15.jpeg
    C2FEF741-7B12-4E19-8781-5716DCB0FC15.jpeg
    713.4 KB · Views: 100
  • 1578993B-DDF7-4C7F-A5C5-BDF74693571F.jpeg
    1578993B-DDF7-4C7F-A5C5-BDF74693571F.jpeg
    537.3 KB · Views: 114
  • 34DA05E4-D1C2-49D5-8FE1-6308E76AA4C6.jpeg
    34DA05E4-D1C2-49D5-8FE1-6308E76AA4C6.jpeg
    675.4 KB · Views: 103
  • 689E0B41-A96D-4CBD-A55F-B5A4EDAD4365.jpeg
    689E0B41-A96D-4CBD-A55F-B5A4EDAD4365.jpeg
    618 KB · Views: 106
If the trigger is pulled to place 20 Superchargers at BFP they more than likely will be built in this location (see photos). Either 20 in a row or two rows of ten. There are lots of markings on the ground identifying SRP power potentials and future conduit runs. To my understanding NOTHING is firm yet, however, fingers crossed, very possible. Photos.

PVM is a no go, however there will be one in that city in 2018. As to where, your guess is as good as mine.

Now..... let’s all focus this thread back to the Tesla Supercharger under construction. If the Mods want to move posts to a new speculative thread about BFP that’s ok:)
My bad for the side track. (S)

That would be great!! Now just throw a solar canopy on these new sites and we are golden!

No reason to take that attitude. Current Arizona Superchargers are sketchy for long distance travel and those two locations do nothing to help. As for the need for urban Superchargers, the Phoenix area would surely have some need but this is an area of urban sprawl — LA of the desert. If you live in Phoenix, you already know, but if not Payson or somewhere nearby is one spot that really needs a SC for all travelers from Phoenix to points North and East. Hopefully it will be addressed soon if the Biltmore is the next priority.
I agree with the desire to have payson, globe, or kayenta before this one. I was a little surprised that this one popped up. The more the merrier, but this one took me by surprise. I'm happy it is here, but sure wish some of the more remote ones would pop up soon too.

Hallelujah! A Supercharger that has several great options for meals that are not just limited to 1 or 2 fast food places. This one has eateries and shopping places within easy walking distance. I won’t be using it since I live nearby and would homecharge but nice to see they selected a great location and hope this is replicated when I am traveling around the US and using superchatprging.

Hmmm..
I have to respond to that post in that it appears you never have visited the very-close-to-Phoenix Wickenburg SpC. It has over a half-dozen really interesting eating sites within walking distance...and not a one is a fast food. Closest one of those is over a mile away.

I agree, however, that overall in the US, fast fooderies are common around many SpCs.

It’s not that there are no condo and apartment dwellers but AZ has been behind on getting SC just to travel the state. And Phoenix is not San Francisco, where so many residents, even detached homeowners, have either no garage or a shed-sized one. I see your location is Seattle and if you don’t know, AZ finally just got a Tucson/SE Arizona SC a month ago — and as someone noted above Payson and Globe remain as huge holes. The Biltmore Shopping Center is within walking distance of the former home of President Reagan’s mom, if that gives you some idea of its neighborhood demographics. Moving it above either Globe or Payson is a joke.

I noticed a poster said that even if it didn’t help many people travel distances it would help sell cars in that exclusive neighborhood. That may be true but If that was the driving force then Tesla has just introduced a new criterion for SC placement. I’ll see if they can put one in my S Chandler neighborhood. There are lots of wealthy potential customers way down here, too :)
I'm fairly familiar with Arizona and I'm aware of what is going on in the world of superchargers :)

I, too, prefer the more rural superchargers for long distance travel but urban superchargers serve their purpose as well. I've been to the Phoenix area twice with my Tesla and both times I had to drive out to Buckeye or even Casa Grande to charge in the middle of my visit. I was obviously not staying at a hotel that had any charging. Any of the 3 locations mentioned in this thread would have been preferable.

Anyways aren't Payson and Globe on the COMING SOON map? I guess I don't see what all the fretting is about. Also, I lived in Payson for 6 months and I can guarantee you that no one in either of those towns is buying a Tesla any time soon, but if they did I suppose they could easily set up home charging :)

I'm fairly familiar with Arizona and I'm aware of what is going on in the world of superchargers :)

I, too, prefer the more rural superchargers for long distance travel but urban superchargers serve their purpose as well. I've been to the Phoenix area twice with my Tesla and both times I had to drive out to Buckeye or even Casa Grande to charge in the middle of my visit. I was obviously not staying at a hotel that had any charging. Any of the 3 locations mentioned in this thread would have been preferable.

Anyways aren't Payson and Globe on the COMING SOON map? I guess I don't see what all the fretting is about. Also, I lived in Payson for 6 months and I can guarantee you that no one in either of those towns is buying a Tesla any time soon, but if they did I suppose they could easily set up home charging :)
coming soon as in 2018. The chargers aren't meant for locals, so your estimation that Payson wouldn't be home to many Teslas shouldn't affect the decision to build it there. But I do agree that the traffic at the SC isn't going to be like the traffic at SCs in California. Nevertheless, many people who do trips up to the rim rule out bringing the Tesla. In my S 85D, I can barely make it from Chandler to Payson and back (10% charge left). Not sure if a 75D can make it, and I'm not sure if I can make it once the weather gets colder.

I've heard other people ruling out an EV because their vacation spots are not served by fast EV chargers.

In 2 yrs from now, I'm sure the charging situation will be much better. I look back at June of 2015 when I bought the model S and note that there were half as many charging location as there are now. But I hate to wait.

Given the steady rise of Tesla and considering the economic demographics of the owners, I wouldn't be surprised if the operators of places like BFP and the Paradise Valley Mall are suddenly seeing the commercial advantage to having sc's on site and thus are either competing for, or contributing to, the installation of them at their retail locations.

Meanwhile, in re long distance driving, it's time for some at or near National Parks. For example, I'd think every motel/hotel owner in Tusayan would be clamoring to have an sc in their parking lot.

Reactions: tmoz
...Meanwhile, in re long distance driving, it's time for some at or near National Parks. For example, I'd think every motel/hotel owner in Tusayan would be clamoring to have an sc in their parking lot.
Not that it wouldn't be nice to have more Supercharger Stations near National Parks, but there are already quite a few. For example:

Yellowstone NP (West Yellowstone MT)
Grand Teton NP (Jackson WY)
Arches NP (Moab UT)
Canyonlands NP (Moab UT, Blanding UT)
Zion NP (St. George UT)
Bryce Canyon NP (Beaver UT)
Petrified Forest NP (Holbrook AZ)
Saguaro NP (Tucson AZ)
Yosemite NP (Fish Camp CA)
Joshua Tree NP (Twentynine Palms CA)
Crater Lake NP (Klamath Falls OR)
Arcadia NP (Bangor ME)
Everglades NP (Florida City FL)

In the "coming soon" category:

Rocky Mountain National Park (Estes Park CO)
Great Sand Dunes NP (Alamosa CO)
Black Canyon of the Gunnison NP (Montrose CO)
Glacier NP (Whitefish MT)

Not that it wouldn't be nice to have more Supercharger Stations near National Parks, but there are already quite a few. For example:

Yellowstone NP (West Yellowstone MT)
Grand Teton NP (Jackson WY)
Arches NP (Moab UT)
Canyonlands NP (Moab UT, Blanding UT)
Zion NP (St. George UT)
Bryce Canyon NP (Beaver UT)
Petrified Forest NP (Holbrook AZ)
Saguaro NP (Tucson AZ)
Yosemite NP (Fish Camp CA)
Joshua Tree NP (Twentynine Palms CA)
Crater Lake NP (Klamath Falls OR)
Arcadia NP (Bangor ME)
Everglades NP (Florida City FL)

In the "coming soon" category:

Rocky Mountain National Park (Estes Park CO)
Great Sand Dunes NP (Alamosa CO)
Black Canyon of the Gunnison NP (Montrose CO)
Glacier NP (Whitefish MT)
Lack of North Rim and South Rim SCs are big voids in my opinion.

coming soon as in 2018. The chargers aren't meant for locals, so your estimation that Payson wouldn't be home to many Teslas shouldn't affect the decision to build it there. But I do agree that the traffic at the SC isn't going to be like the traffic at SCs in California. Nevertheless, many people who do trips up to the rim rule out bringing the Tesla. In my S 85D, I can barely make it from Chandler to Payson and back (10% charge left). Not sure if a 75D can make it, and I'm not sure if I can make it once the weather gets colder.

I've heard other people ruling out an EV because their vacation spots are not served by fast EV chargers.

In 2 yrs from now, I'm sure the charging situation will be much better. I look back at June of 2015 when I bought the model S and note that there were half as many charging location as there are now. But I hate to wait.
The tone of your post is as if you disagree with something I wrote, but I can't figure out exactly what it is.