Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger preheating hours before charge

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On a recent road trip I had to stop navigating to superchargers as the car would start to pre-heat the battery instantly even when I was miles/hours away. It never used to do this and it is killing the range/efficiency. It happened on multiple stops and over multiple days.

Has anyone else had this problem? Any remedy or is this a Tesla support issue?

Attachments

• IMG_1942.jpg
    IMG_1942.jpg
    769 KB · Views: 229
On a recent road trip I had to stop navigating to superchargers as the car would start to pre-heat the battery instantly even when I was miles/hours away. It never used to do this and it is killing the range/efficiency. It happened on multiple stops and over multiple days.

Has anyone else had this problem? Any remedy or is this a Tesla support issue?
There's a dependency on outside air temp. Efficiency in the cars mind is shorter spells at the Supercharger, I suspect.

Yes. On a run from Bordeaux to Cartagena last month, this happened quite a lot. The 'early' pre-heating however, turns itself off after about five minutes. If you are using the in-car navigation, it appears to sort itself out and their are no range issues..

Done my first long-ish trip today, so can’t speak of what it was like previously, but experienced exactly the same.

Having set off toward our 110 mile away destination, with a supercharger programmed in as a waypoint about 5 miles before destination, the car immediately started preparing the battery. Journey was 2.5hrs ish, so I thought that was a bit strange - but hey, I’ve never done a trip or a supercharge before, so what do I know! I deleted the supercharge waypoint, and added it back in with about an hour left if the journey.

Yes. On a run from Bordeaux to Cartagena last month, this happened quite a lot. The 'early' pre-heating however, turns itself off after about five minutes. If you are using the in-car navigation, it appears to sort itself out and their are no range issues..

Interesting, I may have been premature to clear the navigation but it felt like forever and the efficiency was starting to push into 420Wh/mile driving at ~70mph over about 20 miles from memory...

This is normal behaviour when navigating to a Supercharger if the battery temperature needs to be optimised for fast charging. It used to precondition once and aggressively, closer to the destination but changed many updates ago. It’s now more of a stepped process beginning earlier in the journey. Nothing to worry about. However, if you’re not concerned with optimising supercharging speed, or would prefer to not take the extra Wh/m hit, then either don’t navigate directly to the supercharger pinned destination, or navigate to it later in the journey.

This is normal behaviour when navigating to a Supercharger if the battery temperature needs to be optimised for fast charging. It used to precondition once and aggressively, closer to the destination but changed many updates ago. It’s now more of a stepped process beginning earlier in the journey. Nothing to worry about. However, if you’re not concerned with optimising supercharging speed, or would prefer to not take the extra Wh/m hit, then either don’t navigate directly to the supercharger pinned destination, or navigate to it later in the journey.
I agree. Totally normal behavior. If the battery pack is already warm (warm climate) there is no need to pre-condition the same way. If you are in a cold climate, I guarantee, 100% of the time, it will pre-condition the battery. PC takes time so its not surprising that it will come on and maybe come on early.