Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger Questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Skipdd

Supporting Member
Dec 30, 2015
Silver Spring, MD
First, I tried searching for answers to these before posting, but did not find any..

Just got back from visiting relatives in South Carolina. On the trip back we needed to make a detour to a waypoint before heading home. As far as I know Nav does not support waypoints (did find thread on that from 2015). I had to fake out the Nav App to figure out where the closest SC was to waypoint for the last leg of the trip. And then when there I noticed that the car now automatically resets the desired charge limit to what Nav says is needed to get there. I've never seen this behavior before. I am on 48.12.1. When did this behavior start? After I realized what was happening, I reset the desired charge and started a new session to add the additional range I estimated I would need to get from the waypoint to our home. I kept getting nasty nags about potential idle fees. I have my own "nag" for Tesla/Elon on this:)

I don't think Tesla has added an easy way to report issues with SuperChargers correct? Calling Roadside Assistance is useless with hold times. Email is useless because it doesn't alert others who might need the information in realtime. I logged onto Plugshare and did a check-in and noted the issues in my comments. This is a band-aid. Any suggestions?

And at the troublesome SC, there was an SP90D parked and blocking a charger w/o being plugged in?? It looked like the stall was working (Tesla light looked "on" and there was no sign on the unit saying it was broken). Suggestions for how to deal with this? The SC was Rocky Mount, NC btw..

I did meet some very nice folks there including a very helpful owner driving a M3PD.

Thanks for any comments.

...I don't think Tesla has added an easy way to report issues with SuperChargers correct?...

Correct. Would you give Elon Musk a tweet for an easy way to report Supercharger issues from the car's screen display or cell phone app?

...And at the troublesome SC, there was an SP90D parked and blocking a charger w/o being plugged in??...

Could someone please start a website to shame Supercharging Abusers?

...automatically resets the desired charge limit to what Nav says is needed to get there...

There should be an option to "remove Supercharging stops" or turn off "Planner"

News to me. My last Supercharger stop was on FW 32.2. Haven't read anything like this on TMC before.

There should be a Tesla number to call for Supercharger problems, posted near the Supercharger. I've never had to use it, but I thought it was dedicated to Supercharging and not just Roadside Assistance. Just from what others here have said. Lots of guys have described calling to find the working charger or to report bad chargers, and I don't remember complaints about wait times when doing that.

You can always leave a note for the abusers.

• Helpful
Reactions: GSP
Correct. Would you give Elon Musk a tweet for an easy way to report Supercharger issues from the car's screen display or cell phone app?

Sure why not. Not much of a twitter user, will have to recover my credentials..

Could someone please start a website to shame Supercharging Abusers? The thought crossed my mind to start a thread here, but then I recoiled from it. Probably should have just left a note. Was actually hoping they showed up while I was charging, and I would have asked them why they parked there and suggested it was unfair to others.

. There is an option to do this, but if you do it after plugging in, it doesnt reset your charge limit to where you had it before. You have to manually reset the limit. Appears that Tesla reset the charge limit to try and force you to accept their determination of how much charge you need.

Thanks for the replies.

News to me. My last Supercharger stop was on FW 32.2. Haven't read anything like this on TMC before.

There should be a Tesla number to call for Supercharger problems, posted near the Supercharger. I've never had to use it, but I thought it was dedicated to Supercharging and not just Roadside Assistance. Just from what others here have said. Lots of guys have described calling to find the working charger or to report bad chargers, and I don't remember complaints about wait times when doing that.

You can always leave a note for the abusers.

Thanks - have not noticed that before. Thought only option was Roadside assistance/Technical support which has very long hold times.

First, I tried searching for answers to these before posting, but did not find any..

Just got back from visiting relatives in South Carolina. On the trip back we needed to make a detour to a waypoint before heading home. As far as I know Nav does not support waypoints (did find thread on that from 2015). I had to fake out the Nav App to figure out where the closest SC was to waypoint for the last leg of the trip. And then when there I noticed that the car now automatically resets the desired charge limit to what Nav says is needed to get there. I've never seen this behavior before. I am on 48.12.1. When did this behavior start? After I realized what was happening, I reset the desired charge and started a new session to add the additional range I estimated I would need to get from the waypoint to our home. I kept getting nasty nags about potential idle fees. I have my own "nag" for Tesla/Elon on this:)

I don't think Tesla has added an easy way to report issues with SuperChargers correct? Calling Roadside Assistance is useless with hold times. Email is useless because it doesn't alert others who might need the information in realtime. I logged onto Plugshare and did a check-in and noted the issues in my comments. This is a band-aid. Any suggestions?

And at the troublesome SC, there was an SP90D parked and blocking a charger w/o being plugged in?? It looked like the stall was working (Tesla light looked "on" and there was no sign on the unit saying it was broken). Suggestions for how to deal with this? The SC was Rocky Mount, NC btw..

I did meet some very nice folks there including a very helpful owner driving a M3PD.

Thanks for any comments.

Correct, the car nav only supports routing to a single point at this time.
To see the Superchargers, just click on the map and the option to turn on the Superchargers should turn on. Just look to see what makes sense.
I'm not really sure what you mean that you had to fake out the Nav to figure out where the closest SC was. I'm guessing that you may be suggesting that the Supercharger was between your location and detour point, as opposed the detour point and destination. If it was the latter, there should have been no issue.
I thought that there was a Supercharger issues option on one of the numbers. But with a bunch of people on the road, I wouldn't be really surprised if they were busy.

I'd try to plug the guy in, if not, a nastygram would have been called for. But was he interfering with anyone?

Correct, the car nav only supports routing to a single point at this time.
To see the Superchargers, just click on the map and the option to turn on the Superchargers should turn on. Just look to see what makes sense.
I'm not really sure what you mean that you had to fake out the Nav to figure out where the closest SC was. I'm guessing that you may be suggesting that the Supercharger was between your location and detour point, as opposed the detour point and destination. If it was the latter, there should have been no issue.
I thought that there was a Supercharger issues option on one of the numbers. But with a bunch of people on the road, I wouldn't be really surprised if they were busy.

I'd try to plug the guy in, if not, a nastygram would have been called for. But was he interfering with anyone?

Thanks. Yes SuperCharger was between 1st leg and waypoint. Route to Final destination sent me to different charger than route to waypoint. I played around with some other point farther than the waypoint as well to see what it would suggest.

Wrt your last question, 5 min out, map showed 4 of 8 chargers in use. As I arrived another Tesla came in just before me, so that put us at 6 users, +1 blocked. Could have been gnarly had 2 more owners shown up. As it was, 2 stalls were charging at very low rates - 6KW and 28KW. This seemed lower than what one should expect when sharing a circuit. So, even with the density I suggested, it was an issue until some folks left and we were able to use higher KW stalls. So, yes, this owner impeded others from efficient charger use.

I thought there was but I'm not at my car right now. I remember turning this off a couple years back when it was giving ridiculous results.

I do my trip-planning with an off-line tool such as EVTO or ABRP. From that I have a list of Superchargers I intend to use (possibly with my own manual changes), and then I only use the in-car nav system just to get me to the next Supercharger. At each charging stop I reset the nav system to go to the next Supercharger. Maybe it's more work this way, but I have more control over the routing process and a better understanding of the results. I have never had the charging limit reset (most recent experience is a 1000-mile round trip that finished on Christmas Day, with my Model S running 2018.48.12.1).

Bruce.

Reactions: Tam