Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Reno, NV - 4001 S Virginia St (Under Construction, 16 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Permit found by Marco. Can someone add this to Supercharge.info? Seems like it's right across the street from the existing superchargers at the Atlantis.
Screenshot 2023-04-03 at 8.23.15 AM.png

• Helpful
Reactions: Guacahummus
The Atlantis is a pain in the rear with only six V2 stalls. The SC in downtown is sorta tricky for ingress and egress off 80, especially if there is heavy traffic in downtown. It is worse for those using 395/580. I've been to both.

I understand that there are two others in various stages of permitting or construction to the east off Interstate 80. Those will serve east-west travelers quite nicely.

But I think US395 can use some easier access for people who use that highway from northern California or Oregon to Vegas or the eastern Sierra. It is logical to have a handy location off 395 between Topaz Lake and Susanville that is V3. In addition, it is quite convenient for many to use California SR 88/NV 88 over Carson Pass to Minden and then 395 to 80 for travel east. From where I live in the Central Valley it is generally about 20 minutes longer to make it to Reno on those highways instead of freeway 99 to Sac and Interstate 80 to Reno, but there is hardly any traffic and a much prettier drive. And it is quicker when there is traffic into or out of Sac. In fact, heading home from Reno, I can make it without stopping on those roads because of the long stretch of downhill driving if I leave with 90% or so.

Anyway, just my take.

Sarcasm notwithstanding, the Gigafactory has several Superchargers and at least 100 Tesla HPWC installed with 80A capability.
That's what I was expecting. For the rank and file (no company jet) traveling on business, you would want them to head straight to giga, not waste time hanging around a supercharger expensing lunch while they're at it (I'm sure giga has a nice employee cafeteria they can get 50% off coupons for).

Based on initial building review comments, these might be V4?

5. Provide manufacturer’s specifications for the V4 cabinet and post; only the V3 was provided.​
Accela Citizen Access: Building BLD23-08827E: Commercial Solar & EV Chargers
Maybe. More likely they want every aspect of the plans detailed. Plans have pictures of both units but usually only details of one. And from what we’ve seen, there is no V4 cabinet, just V3. And all current plans refer to alternate post, not V4 so the city employee is using other info to reply to these plans (unless Tesla has changed their plans in the last few weeks).
1681739502260.png

1681739566880.png

Looks like permit Building Review completed today and construction has started:

4001 virginia cabinet.jpg

This is facing North/East with the post trenches along Peckham closest to Hong Kong Diner. The fenced area specially cuts out for the Bank of America ATM. Parts include 4x 1450758-00-H V3 cabinets.

Attachments

• 4001 virginia parts.jpg
    4001 virginia parts.jpg
    711.4 KB · Views: 18
Today was out and about, stopped by this site.

Looking North West: Lots of corrugated flexible non-metallic tubing (can you call it "smurf tube" is it's not blue?) now on site. The light pole base rebar cage shown in Mardak's pic is in the ground with Sonotube (just in front of blue materials handler).
IMG_5297.JPG

Looking East toward Convention Center: looks like the switchgear and V3 cabinets will go down there where 2x4's are across trench.
Side slot trenches heading South (to right). Will the charging pedestals be on the stall lines? Seems kinda short for pull-in stalls, but time will tell.

IMG_5298.JPG

Looking at label on (part of?) switchgear cabinets.
I can't find out much on "Z power & distribution" - their website is just a default server page.

IMG_5300.JPG

Reactions: NV Ray
Took advantage of a break in the weather, and Mrbrock's intel that underground electrical was inspected.
Significant progress with conduit and pedestal bases in, rather concretely.

Looking West. All 16 bases are in, all conduits except the transformer input are in.
IMG_5323.JPG

Looking South West.
The bases are the rectangular ones that can have either a V3 or V4 pedestal installed on them.
Note they poured concrete around everything.
Unless they move the curb, these charge posts are rather far from the curb end, so should be useable by a variety of EVs, so perhaps these will be V4 pedestals?

IMG_5326.JPG

Looking South.
Concrete around the conduits. Kinda sloppy in spots, but looks like the duct tape held.
Switchgear is two groups closest on the left, then the 4 V3 cabinets around that.
Each V3 cabinet looks like 2 - 4" for A/C input, 4 - 4" for DC to the four associated charging posts, 1 - approx 1" for the comms back to main switchgear, and 2 - 3" for the DC bus (usually I've seen 4"). The farthest cabinet seems to have at least 4 if not 6 - 3", maybe the DC bus is a star configuration in this install.
Transformer output visible in 1st pic, sidewalk was cut out and covered with trench plates, so must be getting power from the street underground.
Hope the freeze next couple days doesn't crack any of the conduit.

IMG_5328.JPG

Reactions: Mrbrock and NV Ray
update Thursday, March 14, after 6 pm.

Looking South West into pit where transformer conduit is to go (at East end of site).
Oppps!, they busted out all the output side conduit, there's busted out conduit all around on the ground outside the pit (not shown).
If the two conduits shown are the feed input, then the access space requirement in front of the transformer means the front cannot be facing West (to the right end of the orange mason's twine), because the switchgear is pretty close. Switchgear would only require 3 or 4 feet access space, but a distribution transformer is 8 feet.
Whichever way the front of the transformer ends up facing, the eight 4" output conduits will be to the right viewed facing the transformer.
Ouch, this is an expensive mistake. I think it was also a mistake to bust the sweep 90s, I'd have cut the straight sections far enough back to reconnect. A 4" pvc schedule 40 coupling is 5 or 6 dollars, a sweep 90 in schedule 40 is 60 bucks. If that's schedule 80, over 100 $!. Times 8!

IMG_5376.JPG

Looking West, asphalt paving around pedestals. Also bollards up.
Note the busted sweep 90 lying on the ground!
If you count carefully, there are only 15 pedestals installed. The 16th isn't poured yet, just formed up way down there by the storage container.
Does anybody else think the pedestals should have been a bit further from the curb? If the fence is 6', eyeballing it, the pedestal starts about 6' from the curb, which places it beside the rear door of a model 3 with wheel against the curb.
IMG_5377.JPG

Closeup of one of the pedestals - NO magic dock it appears.
IMG_5379.JPG

update Wednesday, March 20, 2024 - the second day of spring.

Looking South West. Nice view of Mount Rose in left background (NOT Mount Rose Ski Area, which is on Slide Mountain off to left behind tree).
Not much to report, they have dug out of bunch of the concrete to re-align the path for the transformer output conduits.
Looks like they're (about) ready to reinstall the conduit, the 7? conduits I took for the input to switchgear are all gone.
Besides a lot of busted up concrete in the hole, I notice a pallet of new 4" PVC sweep elbows just behind the ATM and a bundle of conduit between that and the mini-excavator.
IMG_5384.JPG

Tuesday March 26, late afternoon - quick stop.
The 7 conduits for transformer to switchgear are in, still need to extend the transformer input conduits, then after inspection is backfill.
Looking South-ish. Also, the trench plate on sidewalk is gone, sidewalk has fresh concrete where high voltage input is coming from.
And I'm guessing the last pedestal mount was poured, but it's covered with concrete blanket.
IMG_5409.JPG