Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Reston, VA - Sunset Hills Dr

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone understand what the delay is?

These chargers have been ready but wrapped in white plastic for several months. You can see them from the W&OD and it looks like everything is there for a functioning Supercharger site. (There is a rumor that bureaucrats at Fairfax County are slow walking permits for EV chargers.)

There is no utility transformer, as shown in the pictures above. There is a national backorder on utility transformers, so it can take weeks or months to get that final piece in place.

These chargers have been ready but wrapped in white plastic for several months. You can see them from the W&OD and it looks like everything is there for a functioning Supercharger site. (There is a rumor that bureaucrats at Fairfax County are slow walking permits for EV chargers.)
I'd take issue with "several months" -- the stalls first appeared in mid-May, and there has been visible progress as recently as the end of last month / beginning of this month. Fairfax is not often fast, but I doubt they're intentionally delaying anything. I expect @Big Earl's explanation is the most plausible, that the contractor and utility company are just waiting for the transformer to arrive. Inspections could take days or weeks after the transformer is installed and testing is complete, and at that point we could start blaming Fairfax. :)

I see a series of red markings along the connector trail between the parking lot and the W&OD trail. Not sure if that means further excavation is coming. I also noticed that the little white flags in the ground say “Dominion - Proposed cable route” which I somehow hadn’t noticed before. But overall not much new to report here. Still no transformer yet.
IMG_6291.jpegIMG_6290.jpegIMG_6289.jpegIMG_6288.jpeg

Yes the permitting offices cause delays, but that was before they started construction.

However once done, now you have the Dominion VA bureaucrats holding up the works. Until the designs are completed and the checks in the bank. They won't do anything. One person at Tesla forget to do something and they will be waiting a long time. Dominion is probably just gearing up there subcontractors at this point. They will have to directionally bore a conduit from the trail over to the transformer base.

Still nothing new. Side note: Dominion appears to be in the middle of a much larger project along the power lines that parallel the W&OD trail in Reston. There’s decking like this at several points along the trail:
IMG_6995.jpeg
(Photo taken along the connector between the W&OD trail and the supercharger.)

I’m guessing that project is unrelated to the supercharger, but I suppose there’s a chance they’re waiting for one project to complete before continuing the other.