Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - San Diego, CA (Qualcomm / Pacific Heights Blvd., 12 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Randy, as these are back-in charging spaces, the access aisle would appear to be on the passenger side of the marked handicap charging space. I think the issue is that the second pedestal is positioned such that a car charging in the (non-ADA) second spot to the left would have to park illegally over the access aisle.

Assuming the slope of the second spot is within requirements, there is a way to fix this with paint. Make the second spot the handicap space. Bend the access aisle left across the driveway such that the access aisle runs along the left edge of the second spot adjacent to the first spot. Repaint the 3rd spot to be a normal charging spot. That would effectively position the handicap space such that it would have access to the second pedestal with a normal length charge cable.

Thanks, Steve...I wasn't thinking about the back-in aspect of the installation....I guess too many things going on in my mind when I posted that note. Thanks for pointing that out....

Can't disagree with my time being worth more than $10 per hour. More just meant if not going far out of my way and charging up for 30-40 min at a time. As for as recreation time for the mind and body go, sometimes the chance to chill out after work for 30-45 min before getting home to the kids is good for the mind and body ;) And sometimes knowing things are on the house make it a little more fun to hit the accelerator knowing I'm doing it on their dime. Been too obsessed with the math trying to learn the whole EV thing. Private stations are a joke on costs, so figured a SC could work. The other day, I was low, plugged in to a hotel on the 163 and charged for a few hours to a full charge with no time lost as I met my wife there before going out and picked the car up later on the return. All just part of the game.

And yes, I do have solar, but pretty much just enough to cover my annual usage before getting the Tesla. Though, having just gone from normal annual net metering plan to TOU EV2, I should be able to offset much of the car charging costs by charging overnight and banking peak hours. Only did that 2 months ago, so need to get through a year before having any real data on that. Selling back at $.03 to SDG&E doesn't interest me, so breaking even at the end of the year would be great. Just figured at first, before going to TOU EV2, that I was breaking even before so any Tesla use would be on top of that and not really benefitting from the solar. I def could be wrong.

Still also trying to get around the idea that when I use a set % of power (I display % left, not rated miles since I average 360 and it's depressingly off) that I don't actually use close to 85 kWh on a full carge. More like 65 kWh, losing 20 or so to idle time, AC, etc. I understand losing miles the harder I drive, but don't understand why my trip odometer, which I guess only measures actual drive miles and not power needed to run the car, doesn't gel with the amount of power I am using and why it's so far off.

Once I understand all of the quirky math, I can have that last 3% of fun. Still smiling 97% of the time though!

He said he has TOU2-EV which does not require solar, but is even better with it. The peak credits are $.49 per kWh, then use during super off peak is $.18 per kWh. It more than doubles the savings from Solar.

I'm pretty certain super off peak is now over 20 cents. I have SDGE EV plan. 49 cents peak sucks in the summer when I run A/C

I'm working on solar and battery to offset.

I installed a solar array that was approximately large enough to cover my usage before I got my Telsa. EV-TOU2 is essentially cancelling out my car's energy use. Last I heard, my nighttime rate is 16 cents in the summer and 18 cents in the winter. I don't think about it, though, because my last true-up bill was around $100 for 12 months.

I installed a solar array that was approximately large enough to cover my usage before I got my Telsa. EV-TOU2 is essentially cancelling out my car's energy use. Last I heard, my nighttime rate is 16 cents in the summer and 18 cents in the winter. I don't think about it, though, because my last true-up bill was around $100 for 12 months.

Excellent. I'm having HOA issues...

That's good to hear. I had just enough to cover my pre-Tesla usage. Your EV-TOU2 is cancelling out all/most of your Tesla use? That's awesome to hear. I didn't think it would nearly have that impact. Of course, all this May gray doesn't help!

It depends on your usage pattern, though. If you use a lot of electricity during the middle of the day, when the summer rate is 49 cents, it won't be as beneficial. But if you're like me, and generate a lot more than you use during peak hours, the high rate actually reduces your bill.

Supercharger - San Diego / Sorrento Valley (opening in May 2015?)

Regarding solar, utility charges, and whether it is better to charge at a local SC or at home, all that has been discussed many times in multiple other threads. Let's keep this thread focused on the new SD Supercharger. I don't want to have to split posts off to another existing thread.

Thanks,
Your friendly moderator :)

I just picked my car up from it's 12,000 mile maintenance from the SvC and asked when will the supercharger be opened. I was told that the city is delaying opening until the HC issue is resolved. I was also told the second pedestal may need to be moved. For those out-of-towners that plan to charge at the SvC, call ahead, the parking lot is full with no less than 20 cars, 9 of which today are new deliveries.

Last edited:
I just picked my car up from it's 12,000 mile maintenance from the SvC and asked when will the the supercharger be opened. I was told that the city is delaying opening until the HC issue is resolved. I was also told the second pedestal may need to be moved. For those out of towners that plan to charge at the SvC, call ahead, the parking lot is full with no less than 20 cars, 9 of which today are new deliveries.

Interesting information, aligns with what several others (including me) have speculated. Moving the pedestal will mean trenching (possibly only in the garden) and new concrete for the pedestal base. So long as the slope of the parking lot is not too much, it's possible to fix the handicap space issue by just repainting the lines. I.e., designate the second spot as the handicap space, bend the access buffer across to the left side of the second space, adjacent to the existing first space, and repaint the 3rd space as a regular spot. Voilà. Of course, as markb1 has pointed out, the slope of the tarmac might be the issue confounding that solution. It will be interesting to see how they do finally resolve it. Let's hope it's quickly!

For those of us who have been actively awaiting the opening of this SC, and knowing it could be any day now, is anyone willing to send out a group email/text when they see it's actually open? I check back here frequently but not the easiest to access from the app vs getting that good news via text or email I've been waiting for, for all this time!

Also, as a relatively new owner, who likes the idea of a free charge vs the $.17 per kWh through SDGE through my TOU EV2 plan, is it a BAD idea to charge more than 90%, upcwards of 100%, when I get access to a SC or a complimentary destination charger? Will I really be hurting my battery to charge occasionally to 95% or 100%? Am I hurting it by letting it get down to 10% or so before charging sometimes?

I figure the real cost of charging overnight at home is $14.45 for a full charge (85 kWh X $.17), so I'll admit if I can save a few fundred bucks a year, that seems very appealing. Many threads I read have people only paying $.04-$.10 per kWh at home, but here in SD, $.17 is certainly way cheaper than gas, but if I could charger once a week or so at a SC, that could save me a real $500 per year.

Am I just being too cheap, or is that fair math? And before I get trolled on my first ever post, I know the whole 'If you can buy a $100K car, don't nickel and dime over a few bucks, but $500 a year or so does make a dent in the EV charge costs.
Assuming you plan on using the MS for road-tripping to the hinterlands, the first time you arrive at a Supercharger with no other option for power in order to continue, and are locked out due to local folks trying to save money, will modify your thinking.

Of course, as markb1 has pointed out, the slope of the tarmac might be the issue confounding that solution.

What's interesting is that the document that Randy posted didn't specify any slope requirement. Presumably, there is a slope requirement due to their choice to make it a blue accessible parking space. But the document seems to allow another option with no such requirement. Could Tesla just choose the other option? That would also mean none of the 12 stalls would be restricted to cars with placards.

Let's hope it's quickly!
Maybe it was out of frustration of being asked by every owner coming through the SvC, the person I talked to said it could be months.

- - - Updated - - -

For those of us who have been actively awaiting the opening of this SC, and knowing it could be any day now, is anyone willing to send out a group email/text when they see it's actually open? I check back here frequently but not the easiest to access from the app vs getting that good news via text or email I've been waiting for, for all this time!

Also, as a relatively new owner, who likes the idea of a free charge vs the $.17 per kWh through SDGE through my TOU EV2 plan, is it a BAD idea to charge more than 90%, upcwards of 100%, when I get access to a SC or a complimentary destination charger? Will I really be hurting my battery to charge occasionally to 95% or 100%? Am I hurting it by letting it get down to 10% or so before charging sometimes?

I figure the real cost of charging overnight at home is $14.45 for a full charge (85 kWh X $.17), so I'll admit if I can save a few fundred bucks a year, that seems very appealing. Many threads I read have people only paying $.04-$.10 per kWh at home, but here in SD, $.17 is certainly way cheaper than gas, but if I could charger once a week or so at a SC, that could save me a real $500 per year.

Am I just being too cheap, or is that fair math? And before I get trolled on my first ever post, I know the whole 'If you can buy a $100K car, don't nickel and dime over a few bucks, but $500 a year or so does make a dent in the EV charge costs.

How are you getting $0.17/kWh from SDGE? I'm on TOU2 and on superoff peak I'm paying $0.12114/kWh for electricity PLUS $0.12297/kWh for delivery for a total of $0.243/kWh from SDGE

How are you getting $0.17/kWh from SDGE? I'm on TOU2 and on superoff peak I'm paying $0.12114/kWh for electricity PLUS $0.12297/kWh for delivery for a total of $0.243/kWh from SDGE
You are looking at the Delivery section of your bill and you appear to be combining winter delivery (0.12114) and summer delivery (0.12297). You need to combine delivery + generation for the same rate season.

Super off peak (summer) = 0.12297 for delivery + 0.04693 for generation = 0.1699

I'd rather see This supercharger open right now. Take out that Supercharger pedestal where the HC parking currently is and open the remaining 11 tomorrow. This is silly.

Sometime me down the road, fix the HC spot as needed.

11 working pedestals NOW is far better than twelve pedestals MONTHS from now.

I'd rather see This supercharger open right now. Take out that Supercharger pedestal where the HC parking currently is and open the remaining 11 tomorrow. This is silly.

Sometime me down the road, fix the HC spot as needed.

11 working pedestals NOW is far better than twelve pedestals MONTHS from now.

I agree completely. They already removed the cable, making it inoperable. Just cover up the pedestal with a garbage bag and done! 11 working stalls, including the handicap stall.

This SC is becoming increasingly frustrating! I don't think covering up the second stall would be acceptable because the dashed lines still need to be on the HC drivers' side! Why can't they just decide what they want to do with the HC spot and just start fixing the issue. Is that too much to ask? Frankly, I hope another Sc is planned within SD region because after nearly 6 months of construction, this site does not appear to be close to opening with all the issues!