Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - San Diego, CA (Qualcomm / Pacific Heights Blvd., 12 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The top 10% can take as long as the first 40% of the pack.

Watch the current, it might start at over 300 amps, but be down to 100 or so
(about one third of the initial charging rate) when the battery is about
70% (or so) full.

You will learn quickly.

The first virgin mistake is to go head first into a back-in charging space.
The back end, driver's side, of the car needs to be "close" to the arch.

Often you can find other helpful drivers, just ask for help.
Many of us are still learning, for example to read and understand signs.

See the "Supercharger Charging Profile" graphic from here:

Supercharger | Tesla Motors

Some figures from that page:

• 170 miles of range in 30 minutes
  • 0-80% in 40 minutes
  • 0-100% in 75 minutes

Those are all best-case, of course.

Best case by a long shot, at least for the last bullet. The last few percent can take what seems like forever. Figure 0-98% in 80 minutes for more typical Supercharging.

The 0-80% in 40 minutes is reality, and there are a lot of Superchargers where I got the charge I needed to make it to the next Supercharger, in less time than it took me to find a bathroom, buy a snack, and get back to the car.

A charging we will go...a charging we will go...

11406788_10152929513958339_4960848917407917361_n.jpg

My lines seem to work OK, steering centered shows lines straight, and more or less
positioned where the tires would go. But, line touching curb in parallel parking
results in tire-rubbing, or possibly rim-rash, I believe. I have not tried that yet.

Calibrate by backing half way in using the tilted-down side-view mirrors.
Get out and visually check that your car is centered and straight, adjust as needed.
Then, look at the rear-view camera with the steering wheel centered, and
observe the position of the painted lines, and the computer-added lines.
This view should expose a poorly adjusted camera, or peculiar guide lines.

Last edited:
Guys, this thread is about the new San Diego Supercharger site. Let's not get sidetracked with discussing how to use the backup camera lines. There are other threads for that. Thanks.

Unless you want to discuss backing into the San Diego Supercharger...as some of parking spot lines are way crooked :)

SD SC crooked lines.jpg

Tip: Use the spots on the side opposite side of the HC spot, since they are spaced much wider

Attachments

• crooked lines.jpg
    crooked lines.jpg
    262.2 KB · Views: 425
What wrap material, where was the wrapping done, would you use them again,
and how much did it cost, please? Thanks.

When I zoom in on the picture, I can see the outline of the two handles.
Very nice job, it appears. Perhaps I could see it in person sometime.
Will you attend the San Diego Tesla Club's July potluck at Tony
Williams home?

SD Wrap is where I got it done. There are numerous places you can get this kind of work done in San Diego county. I haven't had any issues with the fellas and ladies at their shop. The bonus is that they share the same address as Elite Finish Detailing and Auto Armour LLC so you can get detailing/cquartz and clear bra/xpel all under one roof. They deal with a lot of Tesla's so they know what they are doing.

The main wrap is from Arlon and the color is Aluminum Blue. Cost for the wrap is 2500+. I say plus because I had other work done like cquartz, blackout of the chrome and some clear bra on headlights, etc.

I'll try to make it to the pot luck but no promises.

https://instagram.com/elitefinishdetailing/
https://instagram.com/autoarmour/
https://instagram.com/sdwrap/

Last edited:
With all the other cars parked in this parking area, it appears
that the area will be "open" for charging access from now on.

My friend just reported charging in 1A for about
5 minutes, and taking some pictures.

Probably, until they decide what to do with pedestal 1B. If they decide to move it, that would require trenching and may require blocking access to at least part of the parking lot.

And it is also live on the Tesla Supercharger page. Interesting that they say there are two J1772 chargers on site as well.

Interestingly, there are empty conduits behind the "Electric Vehicle Only" spaces nearer the building. Perhaps those will be the public EVSE spaces eventually. On further review of photos, there are 3 spaces marked like that, and there are 3 empty conduits behind those spaces.

Attachments

• EVSEs.png
    EVSEs.png
    938.1 KB · Views: 387
Last edited:
I dropped by the SuperCharger yesterday for lunch (11:30am ish), and there were no other Teslas there charging. By the time I left two other cars had shown up. Perhaps our San Diego Supercharger is underused because it's so new. I'd love to see statistics on whether it's used mostly on Friday evenings when the folks from up North (or East) come to visit San Diego for the weekend. I suppose the lunch time usage will remain light.

Those conduits may be for HPWC such as they have at the SD service center - makes sense, and the same setup as exists in Hawthorne for Tesla owners who work in the complex - hopefully so - Tesla thinking ahead? -

I bet that they are for J1772. There are a few places like Rancho Cucamonga that Tesla has installed public, free J1772's beside of the Supercharger. This may have been a Qualcomm requirement.

In Rancho Cucamonga, there is a 480V to 208V transformer to supply the J1772's that is downstream of the main 480V transformer that supplies the Supercharger. There could be one of those on Sorrento Mesa, of it could be a direct feed from one of the Qualcomm buildings to the future J1772's.