Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Santa Monica, CA - Santa Monica Place (LIVE 19 Feb 2019, 14 urban stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's hoping that is in place by end of September. I will be driving my new P3D+ end-to-end on Interstate 95 then the Trans-Canada-Highway then end-to end of Interstate 5 coming back to Santa Monica to begin the end-to-end of Interstate 10. It would be superb to start I-10 with a Supercharger.

Sounds like an awesome drive. I'm assuming you'll have to do most of the Trans Canada Hwy on L2?

electrical permit for supercharger:
Screen Shot 2018-09-16 at 6.35.17 PM.png

The Santa Monica Place Superchargers look like they are going to open imminently. 10 in total, 8 outside and 2 undercover (one handicap). Here are some pictures that I took yesterday and of the construction over the past few months. The trench along 4th Street was probably 25 to 25 feet deep and required the temporary relocation of a bus stop for about a month.

Not sure why the signs say "30-minute general parking"

GsMa8t7.jpg

HukcIka.jpg

dERbbIu.jpg

dQrDafs.jpg

Not sure why the signs say "30-minute general parking"
Because planning/zoning rules require a certain number of general parking spots be maintained for a given square footage of commercial floorspace. Switching general parking stalls to dedicated EV charging stalls would push them under the limits and the planning/zoning boards usually won't allow the property owners to outright convert them all. So what normally happens is that they give a variance to allow a few spots to be charging-only and then put a time limit on the rest so that they can still be counted as general parking. If you're using the supercharger you should preferentially choose to charge in one of the "general parking" stalls if possible, that way you leave more of the dedicated stalls open to hopefully reduce the potential of ICEing. With the Urban-style chargers there's no speed penalty for using a paired stall.

I don't have any certain knowledge but from what I saw it looks ready to go. Probably waiting for inspections and testing. It's a nightmare garage during day especially at christmas. Plan for off hours and you'll be less frustrated.

General reminder/warning; apparently Santa Monica is one of those municipalities that looks toward the lack of front license plates as a way to fill the city coffers. Perfectly legal, understood. I'm sure the local enforcement team will be all over this location once it goes live.

Word to the wise...
Very true. 2 tickets so far. Also ticketed there for not having ALL the carpool stickers in place (just had one rear one in the far bottom right corner).

That is why they’re called Soviet Monica!

Now I place the front plate on my front windshield when parked :)