Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Sault Ste Marie, ON

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sault Ste Marie, ON

Along National Highways: TCH/ON-17

TCH:
To: Blind River, ON - 145.7 km
Diversion: 2.5 km
To: Espanola, ON - 238.8 km

Well, at least it looks like this year Tesla will complete the TCH from Sault Ste Marie, ON to Truro, NS.
In one of the posts above, it was mentioned that the team installing the SSM supercharger is tasked with Wawa next.

Is it much longer to take the US route through Chicago (or even the ferry across Lake Mich)? At least that way you are on large highways.

It's faster if I go south through Chicago and Toronto, but then I have to go through Chicago and Toronto. I love visiting those cities--much of my mother's side of the family live in Chicago, for example--but when just passing through the traffic in them is a pain. Going across the the TCH is a much more delightful drive even if it takes me a bit longer. Last year was the first time I went via SSM, and though the Chademo chargers along that route are sometimes unreliable, it was still a nicer drive overall. There tends to be nobody on the road and I have the place to myself. Now with a bunch of SuperChargers along the way, it will be a cakewalk.

I've also taken the ferry across Lake Michigan, and that's fun, too. But I like driving my MS, and going across Ontario is currently the most pleasant route.

Years ago, I used to fly for this trip. Then I got a Tesla...

It's faster if I go south through Chicago and Toronto, but then I have to go through Chicago and Toronto. I love visiting those cities--much of my mother's side of the family live in Chicago, for example--but when just passing through the traffic in them is a pain. Going across the the TCH is a much more delightful drive even if it takes me a bit longer. Last year was the first time I went via SSM, and though the Chademo chargers along that route are sometimes unreliable, it was still a nicer drive overall. There tends to be nobody on the road and I have the place to myself. Now with a bunch of SuperChargers along the way, it will be a cakewalk.

I've also taken the ferry across Lake Michigan, and that's fun, too. But I like driving my MS, and going across Ontario is currently the most pleasant route.

Years ago, I used to fly for this trip. Then I got a Tesla...
Google Maps actually shows that the TCH route is an hour faster than the route via Chicago and almost 200 miles shorter. Plus definitely a nicer drive, at least on the parts I've driven.

Google Maps

Thanks for the update. This is excellent news. My 90 year old father-in-law lives about two blocks from there. He’s lived and breathed cars all his life but has never been in an EV. I’ve been looking forward to taking my M3 there to show him the future of automobiles. This will make it an easy trip.
Put him to work providing daily updates :)

Google Maps actually shows that the TCH route is an hour faster than the route via Chicago and almost 200 miles shorter. Plus definitely a nicer drive, at least on the parts I've driven.

Google Maps
Agree with all of this, but it looks like if you time the ferry just right, that is a hair faster than going through the UP. Of course, in reality, you have to get there early, wait, etc. and it's a wash in terms of time at best, but you would be on the supercharger highway the entire way doing that (but you'd still have to drive through Toronto).

If it were me, I would take the route through the UP and overnight in some place with L2 charging like Naubinway, Mackinaw or the Soo. The original poster is correct that one of these Soo superchargers opening up will make this route the slam dunk choice for a Minneapolis to Montreal trip.

Agree with all of this, but it looks like if you time the ferry just right, that is a hair faster than going through the UP. Of course, in reality, you have to get there early, wait, etc. and it's a wash in terms of time at best, but you would be on the supercharger highway the entire way doing that (but you'd still have to drive through Toronto).

If it were me, I would take the route through the UP and overnight in some place with L2 charging like Naubinway, Mackinaw or the Soo. The original poster is correct that one of these Soo superchargers opening up will make this route the slam dunk choice for a Minneapolis to Montreal trip.
The ferry seems quite expensive, especially if you are driving with a family, since you pay for each person in addition to the vehicle.

Reactions: outdoors
We finished a 22,500 km trip in our MS through the UP and along the TCH from SSM and just wanted to get home. The TCH from SSM to Sudbury was great, mostly two-lane, not many mountains/cliffs in that part of Ontario, often divided and recently paved. Also, not a lot of traffic so avoiding all those head-on collisions was easy .

• Informative
Reactions: RiverBrick
Yes, it's definitely a nicer drive taking the TCH. Cheaper, too: The toll roads in the US add up to about $40 each way as I recall from the last time I drove the whole way on the US side.

Yup, those tolls sneak up on you and IMHO interrupt the normal flow of traffic, and if you miss one they'll get you later. It's wonderful that there are NO tolls in Canada on the TCH, and yet the roads are pretty good despite heavy truck traffic from both Canadian and US operators of commercial 18-wheelers.

Having taken that ferry a couple of times, my conclusion is that it saves you no time, but is a nice change to get away from traffic.

HWY 407, an alternate limited-access corridor for Greater Toronto commuters conjured up by crooked political motives, is an anomaly and has nothing to do with the TCH system, and not to be spoken in the same breath.
Yes - I FAR prefer taking Hwy 407 vs the TCH. The only downside is the tolls. I think you are using revisionist history regarding the how the highway was built as well. The advantage of tolls is that it keeps the highway from being congested. I can use Autopilot on my Model S and not have to intervene from Burlington to Ajax.

Reactions: ccudmore
Between Kenora and the Soo, it's more like a winding country road with 80kph speed limits.
I've never travelled that portion. My uncle, who's lived in Kenora longer than I've been alive, always highly encouraged me when heading West to come through at Sault, across, and then back up into Canada somewhere at my discretion once I passed through Duluth.

Especially in the winter, where nasty stuff can come off Lake Superior onto that road. They've definitely improved it over the decades with passing lanes on the long uphill slopes (which would clog with people pulling trailers), saving untold lives, but still can be an iffy route.

Still, if you're on a sightseeing trip and like rocks and trees, it seems like a very viable option in the summer.

I've never travelled that portion. My uncle, who's lived in Kenora longer than I've been alive, always highly encouraged me when heading West to come through at Sault, across, and then back up into Canada somewhere at my discretion once I passed through Duluth.

Especially in the winter, where nasty stuff can come off Lake Superior onto that road. They've definitely improved it over the decades with passing lanes on the long uphill slopes (which would clog with people pulling trailers), saving untold lives, but still can be an iffy route.

Still, if you're on a sightseeing trip and like rocks and trees, it seems like a very viable option in the summer.
It's a great drive. As long as you aren't in a hurry :)

One of the more memorable moments of my Transcanada trip (was June 2009 in an ICE) was when I stopped in at the Ontario Welcome Centre just west of Kenora. I really just needed to use the washroom but the girl working there was kind of cute, so I started chatting with her. I thought she was exaggerating when she said that it takes 3 days to cross Ontario. I had just driven across the Prairies and it was smooth sailing so it seemed hard to believe. But she was right, you can squeeze it into 2 days if you're in a hurry, but 3 days is better if you are on vacation and trying to enjoy yourself.

Last edited: