Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Sault Ste Marie, ON

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm praying for a Thanksgiving miracle too. Sounds like there may be a mini invasion of Teslas in the Soo over thanksgiving

Here’s hoping! And yes, sounds like it...my kind of invasion!

Bet they are all installed by Wednesday evening or earlier. Doesn't take long to hook up as the cables are pulled.
No idea when they will get lit though.
It will be a long shot to get the pedestals on in all the areas that actually have the conduits and transformers in place before Thanksgiving in Canada (Oct. 14th).
I believe there are still three sites in Manitoba to get the cable pulled and equipment installed. That's not counting Winnipeg as only the transformer is there.

Hope you’re right - anyone have any insight into how long they usually take to flip the switch once the install is fully done?

Reactions: scottf200
Just the one pedestal box still and no signs of activity

Attachments

• 18743A8E-66E4-474B-8BDE-61BC0F8BFD51.jpeg
    18743A8E-66E4-474B-8BDE-61BC0F8BFD51.jpeg
    30.9 KB · Views: 80
Is that where the old "Diplomat Hotel" used to be located?

Address of the Diplomat Motel was 844 Queen Street East, Sault Ste Marie, ON.
It was remodeled into apartments and is now "the Queenstown Residences".

There's another apartment building built next to it, apparently. (Google Streetview shows the Queenstown Residences and a fenced-off lot next to it.)

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: navguy12
Address of the Diplomat Motel was 844 Queen Street East, Sault Ste Marie, ON.
It was remodeled into apartments and is now "the Queenstown Residences".

There's another apartment building built next to it, apparently. (Google Streetview shows the Queenstown Residences and a fenced-off lot next to it.)
Thanks for the update.

My godfather used to own that hotel and back in the mid 1960s, I go with my dad to that hotel and use the underground parking lot for washing the car in the wintertime.

Well, now there is. If you have a CHAdeMO adapter, you can now fast-charge at the Petro-Canada in SSM!
Looks like a decent option. I *did* have a CHAdeMO adapter with my previous X (Sig P90DL) but lost that and other good things in the deer accident in the summer of '17. Decided not to spend money on another with the additional supercharger build out when I got my 2nd X (100D).

Oh, thank the maker. I'll be passing through SSM early Sunday morning, the forecast is for drizzle and temps in the upper 30s. The stretch from Naubinway, MI to the SC in Sudbury is a challenge even in good weather. There are L3 chargers at the ScotiaBanks and Tim Hortons, but they're underpowered and unreliable. But an L3 charger in SSM will make the day's trip easy. Of course, a SuperCharger in SSM would be best, but that's not quite ready, so I'll take this. Hooray!

Oh, thank the maker. I'll be passing through SSM early Sunday morning, the forecast is for drizzle and temps in the upper 30s. The stretch from Naubinway, MI to the SC in Sudbury is a challenge even in good weather. There are L3 chargers at the ScotiaBanks and Tim Hortons, but they're underpowered and unreliable. But an L3 charger in SSM will make the day's trip easy. Of course, a SuperCharger in SSM would be best, but that's not quite ready, so I'll take this. Hooray!

And more good news: The L3 charger at the PetroCanada in Espanola is also open! My trip to Montreal just got much easier!

And it appears the PetroCanada chargers in Wawa, Nipigon, and Thunderbay are all operational, too, according to Plugshare.

Well, now there is. If you have a CHAdeMO adapter, you can now fast-charge at the Petro-Canada in SSM!View attachment 464356
Unfortunately, don’t those engineers/installers know how to configure these stations? So now, the #1 EV sold, must block the Level 2 J1772 station when using the DCQC. Stupid stupid stupid. Don’t worry, it’s not just them, I’ve seen the same configuration at other locations. Why can’t they put the L2 pedestal on the right side? Uhhhhhrrrrggggg.

Reactions: Ulmo
Unfortunately, don’t those engineers/installers know how to configure these stations? So now, the #1 EV sold, must block the Level 2 J1772 station when using the DCQC. Stupid stupid stupid. Don’t worry, it’s not just them, I’ve seen the same configuration at other locations. Why can’t they put the L2 pedestal on the right side? Uhhhhhrrrrggggg.

What length is the L2 cable? By the J1772 standard, It can be up to 25 feet long, so somebody might be able to park in the other space and use it.

• Informative
Reactions: ReddyLeaf
On a similar note - hopefully Tesla gives some pointers to the firms that will be clearing snow from the new SCs being opened up in snowy locations. I have had trouble accessing one of the SC units in Woodstock ON as there was a snow bank between the charger and the parking spot that made it hard for the cable to reach to the car.

• Informative
Reactions: navguy12
I think this picture is from Espanola, not SSM and there IS NOT a live Petro Canada charger in the Soo. Yet...
I can confirm this. I used the PetroCan in Espanola today and that’s it in the picture.
Sorry for spreading misinformation. The picture I saw on PlugShare was added at the SSM location. Post #130 is incorrect and the photo is of the Espanola Petro-Canada. @Doug_G please remove that post (130) and this one.