Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SuperCharger Scheduling/Availability?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As an uninitiated Model X reservist, does the navigation/supercharger info show availability of bays at a given location or do you just take a chance a port is available when you see a location coming up on your route. My concern is as popularity and numbers scale up in the out years, it could adversely impact supercharger availability? Being able to bypass a full Supercharger for another (in-range) seems logical since you're not in & out like a gas station. Thx

I think there already is a thread that deals with this subject but not specifically. so moderators might join it into that one. However this is a real possible problem at the most popular superchargers at peak times. and NO tesla does NOT inform you on how many stalls are open or occupied in their routing system....... at least not for now. So your concerns are real at peak times and locations. on the other hand this will be a very scarce problem for the near future, except maybe for California........ and is obviously why the supercharger network is being built out very rapidly. even though it is lagging behind substantially this calendar year according to tesla's initial plan.

The on board software doesn't show any info about the availability of a Supercharger. Maybe a feature like that will come in the future, but I actually doubt it, as there is no way of knowing how busy a station will be in 10 or 20 min or even further out. There is no way of know how long someone will charge and when they arrive. In most cases Superchargers are too far apart to just re-route. Even if within reach, the extra time it would take to go through a different Supercharger and then back to your original route would be much longer than a few minutes waiting at a busy Supercharger.

Having visited almost 40 different Superchargers and having done tens of thousands of miles on long road trips using Superchargers I can say from my experience, you won't have trouble with a full Supercharger. After 62k miles in my Model S I had to wait at a Supercharger twice. Both locations have been expanded since then and many more stations have been added. Tesla is pretty good about keeping Superchargers available.

DCE34B88-10D2-4A06-82BD-7171435DB42B.jpeg
I am on my way to pickup my MX in portland. I thought i woukd stop by and see the charging station on I5 at shasta city.

Theybare all shut off. WTF. I hope they get turned on soon. Anybody know the status of when they will be turned on?

Thanks
Tony