Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Scotts Valley, CA (LIVE 30 Jan 2020, 16 V3 stalls + Magic Docks)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
M

MarcoRP

Could this be a possible Supercharger? I came upon this Twitter post posted 14h ago by searching “supercharger construction” on my Twitter query. The location I came up with on my Google search upon searching for IWL was in King’s Village Shopping Center at 230 Mount Hermon Rd, Scotts Valley, CA 95066, United States. Electrify doesn’t have a planned location in Scotts Valley, while Tesla has planned a location in Santa Cruz California. I can’t yet say for sure if this is a Supercharger (no photos) so can someone go and check to make sure this Tweet is relevant? Thanks!
04876AAB-D2E5-40FF-9E41-E4CE7E3F4449.jpeg

That SV location would be good for anyone in the SV/SLV area.

I'd like to see a SC in Santa Cruz at the old ToysRUs/Marshalls location @ Highway1 x Soquel exit. It fits their profile perfectly. Close to highway, lots of parking, 5min walk to food/drink.

Putting one downtown is super-inconvenient, plus you have to be afraid to leave your car because of all the crime and homeless drug addicts everywhere.

The non-countrymen staffing that post would make the globalists proud. They did not share countryman friendliness. They would not tell me anything.

Some type of cabinets might be destined for the parking lot. Some trenches adorned a few parking spots, but nothing obvious. Many cuts in the asphalt parking lot probably would reveal a pattern, but it would be best to poke around when the foreigners are gone.

The label on the 3 cabinets said "2500amp 65KATC" (illegible photos attached below), and are from Z Power and Distribution. (That company was founded in 2010 and located at 1350 S. Claudina St. Anaheim, CA 92805. They "provid[e] our customers with a quality product from lighting panels, distribution panels, utility service entrance equipment, custom industrial control panels and custom bus work and sheet metal designs." I approve of them being a USA manufacturing facility: "Our fabricating facility located in Anaheim, California is equipped with the very latest programmable fabricating machinery. Our sales engineering and fabricating staff have over 50 years of experience in the sales, engineering, fabrication and designing electrical distribution and control equipment. ... We fabricates all our custom equipment following customer specifications while meeting NEMA, NEC, ANSI and UL rules and standards as well utility service agencies." They further say "At Z Power we can provide custom enclosures from various materials (Steel, Stainless, Aluminum) all with complete UL approval and OSHPD certification. From the smallest control boxes to large fully insulated High Voltage NEMA 3R cabinets, we have produced thousands of variations to meet any needs." These cabinets could be for anything.)

There was also a pipeline inspection team out in the roadway that seem related to the same construction zone.

IMG_1628.JPG

The cabinet spec labels are illegible with an Apple camera.

IMG_1636.JPG IMG_1637.JPG IMG_1638.JPG

I called the Building Department of the City of Scotts Valley and they did not answer; they might be out to lunch (12:50PM). They don't even have Friday counter hours. The address for Goodwill is 224 Mount Hermon Road, Scotts Valley, CA 95066.

Currently, tesla.com/findus shows a mark in Santa Cruz, not Scotts Valley. The new Watsonville Urban Chargers have their marker already placed in the right spot of course. Here are screenshots of the tesla.com/findus for Scotts Valley area which I think may or may not directly apply; I'm thinking they don't apply to Scotts Valley:
Screen Shot 2019-10-04 at 1.02.13 PM.png Screen Shot 2019-10-04 at 1.02.33 PM.png

If these are chargers for anything, they are located well: as you come down or up from a drive to or from Santa Cruz and Monterey Bay, you may find yourself needing something after a long drive over the hill or before a long drive over the hill. At this location in daytime hours, you can shop at a number of good places, including Nob Hill. I hope these turn out to be chargers. It is a very congested urban area with all the types of urban people around that you would expect so be aware of that.

Last edited:
If this is a supercharger, that's great. That's exactly where I said they should put one to serve the greater Santa Cruz area. There are at least half a dozen decent restaurants within a block, and it is only a couple minutes off of 17. Here's hoping it is Tesla and not some other DCFC abomination. :)

BTW, by my math, three 2500A transformers at 480V is 3.6 MW, which is almost exactly enough power for 10 proper V3 superchargers (with a little bit of wiggle room) which is IMO exactly what they should be installing down there. Let's hope I'm right, and that they don't put in 50 of the 72 kW pedestals instead. :D

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Ulmo and ReddyLeaf
BTW, by my math, three 2500A transformers at 480V is 3.6 MW, which is almost exactly enough power for 10 proper V3 superchargers (with a little bit of wiggle room) which is IMO exactly what they should be installing down there. Let's hope I'm right, and that they don't put in 50 of the 72 kW pedestals instead. :D

Worth noting that the Las Vegas V3 site only has a 2.4 MW supply (only - can you imagine saying that a couple of years ago?) for 24 stalls. Not a problem because very few cars will get close to 250kW during their charge process and of those that do, it will only be for a short period. So 3.6 MW would theoretically likely be capable of more V3 stalls than Las Vegas has (assuming usage pattern is the same)!

(Note: Las Vegas has battery and solar as well, so although it's theoretically sometimes a bit higher than 2.4 MW, but not a lot more)

• Informative
Reactions: ReddyLeaf
Worth noting that the Las Vegas V3 site only has a 2.4 MW supply (only - can you imagine saying that a couple of years ago?) for 24 stalls. Not a problem because very few cars will get close to 250kW during their charge process and of those that do, it will only be for a short period. So 3.6 MW would theoretically likely be capable of more V3 stalls than Las Vegas has (assuming usage pattern is the same)!

(Note: Las Vegas has battery and solar as well, so although it's theoretically sometimes a bit higher than 2.4 MW, but not a lot more)
Or 2 cabinets for 2500A of switches and 1 cabinet for some other type of switches? We don't have all the data still. An electrician please correct me: 2x2500Ax480VACrms=2.4MW, so that seems plausible. Or whatever.

View attachment 465712 View attachment 465713 View attachment 465714 View attachment 465715 View attachment 465716 View attachment 465717

i still didn’t see any hard Tesla evidence - but here are pics from sunday 10/13 - looks like it could be Tesla but no logo boxes

i’d say it’s tesla just based on stall count - none of the other charging networks install the sort of stall count this appears to be!
Those pre-cast bases for the charging posts make it definitive. They may not actually say "Tesla" on them, but they are a bespoke part that only Tesla uses. Supercharger confirmed!