Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Spearfish, SD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

azred

Apr 12, 2016
Chandler, AZ
This one looks like it was built before anyone noticed. Leading the charge Already testing to open in a few days. Great location adjoining I90 just a couple miles East of Spearfish. BTW, 6 stalls. In addition to las nt distance travelers this site will really help for people wanting to tour the Northern Black Hills. Tesla already has a strong presence in Southern Hills -Custer due to the annual rally and Rapid City to the East.

Last edited:
This one looks like it was built before anyone noticed. Leading the charge Already testing to open in a few days. Great location adjoining I90 just a couple miles East of Spearfish. BTW, 6 stalls. In addition to las nt distance travelers this site will really help for people wanting to tour the Northern Black Hills. Tesla already has a strong presence in Southern Hills -Custer due to the annual rally and Rapid City to the East.

The article says Exit 8, which is northwest of Spearfish, rather than the one at Exit 14 east of Spearfish.
Their Facebook page also explicitly says Exit 8: Exit 14 and Exit 8 / Phillips 66.

The photo in the article matches with storage units shown on Google Maps StreetView where it says there's a SpeedyMart. StreetView doesn't show a gas station there, so it must be a relatively new build. It looks like the actual Supercharger location is closer to where Google Maps shows "I90 Self Storage" than SpeedyMart.

There's nothing else around that location. Perhaps they were asked about Exit 14 because there's other stuff around there, but negotiated for Exit 8 because they'd have a captive customer.

Supercharger: Spearfish, SD
Street Address: 3275 Old Belle Rd*
City: Spearfish
State: SD
Zip: 57783
Stalls: 6
GPS: 44.520607, -103.890924

* A Google search gave the address as Old Bell Rd, even though Maps indicates it's on McGuigan Rd and Old Belle Rd is north of I-90.
GasBuddy has the Exit 8 Philips 66 as 3275 Old Belle Rd, Interstate I90, Spearfish, SD 57783
However, I-90 Self Storage, to which it is very close has an address of 3020 McGuigan, Box 728, Spearfish, SD 57783.

EDIT: Exit 8 Phillips 66 set to open Aug. 1 is from July 2016 saying it was opening August 1st 2016. The address is listed in that article as 3275 Old Belle Rd.

@BlueShift

On I-90/US-14 and close to US-85.

A good splitter of a 142 mile gap.
As the article says, expect Wall, SD which will split the 134 mile gap between Rapid City, SD and Murdo, SD.

Last edited:
Yikes, while others with more knowledge of that area can chip in, that seems like a lousy choice in Spearfish — not much to do — but this opportunity must have been too good to pass up as Spearfish isn’t even on Tesla’s current plan until 2018. I’m familiar with the exit where I thought it was located and admit the correct location is unknown to me even though many years ago I attended college in Spearfish. (It must not be close to the bars!)

Last edited:
I just called the Phillips 66 Store to inquire. It is located a block south of Exit 8. They said you will see them right from the bridge/offramp(if coming from the west). Directly in front of the storage units location on google maps (they actually bought the property from the storage unit people). Your positioning at: 44.520607, -103.890924 is perfect!

Awesome! This one puts Dickinson ND 20 miles closer to I-90 supercharging, now only 206 miles(is 226 to rapid and). Still a jump, but way better given the lousy weather (wind) that is normally blowing through here. Last time through I had a 19mph head wind and a 58mph trip home in my P85 (full at Rapid) :(

Side note, this sort of thing going unnoticed in Western ND will be very difficult for Tesla to pull off ;)

This will be great for I90 travelers and Black Hills visitors. I hope the Custer Tesla Rally continues to grow and this will encourage more visitors to the area. When they get a SC in/near Custer, Western South Dakota will be in great shape. Now if only poor ND could get some SC love.

@BlueShift could also reference this thread.

• Love
Reactions: lightfoot3b
Can anyone post about options for lunch near the Spearfish Supercharger? Tesla's site speaks of only Phillips 66. I'm planning a road trip and I was hoping to feed my family there after visiting Devil's Tower.
Nothing at that exit. Grab a sandwich/pizza etc to go from the exit one mile east of the SC exit and then come back and eat while you charge. It's just a gas station. Nothing within blocks. I walked the area in hopes of a hidden gem. Nothing.

• Informative
Reactions: MarkoC
Definitely nothing within walking distance. The Kum N Go does have some food that is made (somewhat?) fresh. I remember saying that I wanted a breakfast sandwich, but they didn't have any out there and the guy said he would make one for me. It took him 10-15 minutes, but you obviously have time to kill while supercharging :) I don't remember how good it was, but at least I don't remember it being awful :) I think they have a small menu of stuff like that depending on the time of day.

• Informative
Reactions: dauger and MarkoC
Definitely nothing within walking distance. ...

Thanks for the tips on this. It was helpful. Just past halfway through our 4647-mile road trip we were at Spearfish:

Tesla Model S - Devil's Tower

superchargerSpearfish180816.jpg

And it was the first Supercharger I've seen with squeegees, so I used one. I took your advice so my family had lunch at Devil's Tower Gulch before:

devilsTowerGulch160816.jpg

So that we only needed a bathroom and snack stop at the Phillips 66 (nice place) while at the Spearfish Supercharger before heading south through Spearfish Canyon and Black Hills to Custer. Even though we took some wrong turns in Black Hills, we had enough charge we didn't need to go to Rapid City. It worked out great!