TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Supercharger - Custer, SD

Discussion in 'Midwest/Great Lakes' started by azred, Sep 12, 2017.

1. azred

azred Member

I see Custer on the planned 2018 list. The more the merrier but Hot Springs or Newcastle would seem like more logical locations for long distance travelers. I assume Custer's annual Tesla rally was a huge factor in determining this location.

2. IT Geek

IT Geek Member

Yeah, at least that is what I was told when I was there at the rally this year. Tesla liked what they were doing and decided to put in a SC for them there. There are a ton of destination chargers in town, but a SC would certainly be a big benefit as the rally does draw people from several states. Heck, I came from Michigan (the far east side) to attend.

3. azred

azred Member

#3 azred, Sep 12, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
    Hats off to the organizers of the event. I'm sure they took note of the annual motorcycle rally 50 miles North in Sturgis and the huge economic impact it has had for over 60 years on that small town. It's doubtful Tesla's Custer rally would have anything close to a similar economic impact, but for a small town that relies on tourism it's a great idea. And for Tesla to reward Custer with a Supercharger will only help grow the event, as you noted. Additionally it will be a good thing for all Black Hills tourism. It is beautiful country and unlike the mammoth Rockies with hours long ascents and descents, the Black Hills' small scale makes it great for a two or three day cruise on the winding two lane roads. Even better on a motorcycle --which explains Sturgis.

4. napoleonblownapa

I am in contact with the Director of the Custer SD chamber of Commerce. Building permits in the
    City of Custer are not automated and cannot be accessed via the internet. The Custer, SD supercharger was SUPPOSED to have been constructed last quarter, but a delay in the building permit has forced it into this quarter. The permit has now been issued. The contracts have been signed with Lynn's Dakota Mart, 800 Mount Rushmore Rd, Custer. The supercharger will go onto a vacant lot owned by Lynn's, and is directly behind the Dakota Mart. Hoping for completion before the Custer Tesla Rally, May 18-20, 2018. I will post updates when I get more news. Mac

• Informative x 11
    • Like x 6
    • Helpful x 1
  5. Mr. PlugShare

Mr. PlugShare Member

Now on Supercharge.info

6. Barry

Barry Active Member

Tesla Rule #1 - NEVER make trip plans based on a completion date provided by Tesla.

• Like x 4
  7. napoleonblownapa

Amen, brother Barry!

8. lightfoot3b

lightfoot3b Member

Most notably while living in North Dakota ;)

• Like x 2
  9. sdoorex

sdoorex Member

Mac, any possibility of the Chamber setting up a webcam on the roof of the grocery store so we can watch the construction progress?

• Like x 2
    • Funny x 1
  10. txakoli

txakoli Member

Supercharge.info now shows that a permit has been pulled for Custer.

11. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker S 90D 2017.50.3

Yep, here's the current thread: Supercharger - Custer, SD

12. IT Geek

IT Geek Member

Yeah, well, if you ever find yourself in Custer, SD getting access to a Tesla charger is probably going to be the easiest thing you've ever done. The Supercharger will just be a bonus. Your rule does still apply elsewhere though. :)

• Like x 2
    • Funny x 2
  13. Utahken

Utahken Member

I'm planning a west road trip, and was planning on staying at Custer state park (one of my favorite places), so the news of the supercharger sounded great. But with all you talking about how great Custer was for Tesla, I decided to look on plugshare. Now I see why. Thanks for tip!

• Like x 2
  14. txakoli

txakoli Member

Thanks. I posted here because this thread covers South Dakota. Never thought to look elsewhere. So now we have two threads on Custer.

15. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker S 90D 2017.50.3

I submitted a request to have the two Custer threads merged.

16. napoleonblownapa

Hey Ken, Oh yeah! If you come through this town almost anytime, you can charge up with no trouble at all! Several chargers located all over town. This is the LEAST anxiety charging town in the country, maybe.
    Sdoorex, so you think I should suggest a webcam at the grocery store so we all could watch the construction? Well, that would be different. We could check progress ANY DARN TIME!! I am just a dude living in Colorado Springs, CO. Do you think I can work MIRACLES???

Yes? Really? Well, let's see what I can do....
    I will keep you posted.
    Mac

• Like x 5