Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Custer, SD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Boulder is probably the nearest mobile guy--they've been uniformly great. I think I have his cell and I'll be in Custer shortly. Look for the big dog--Macy:)
Awesome. Thanks. Denver techs pulled the logs and will do a detailed review. They'll call me in a couple hours with informed advice. I'll just hang around Custer today. Still, would be great if Boulder mobile would be willing to make trip and resolve on the spot. I'll look for you. My contact info is in the participant list. Look for Don Burke from Virginia.

Reactions: Bighorn
Awesome. Thanks. Denver techs pulled the logs and will do a detailed review. They'll call me in a couple hours with informed advice. I'll just hang around Custer today. Still, would be great if Boulder mobile would be willing to make trip and resolve on the spot. I'll look for you. My contact info is in the participant list. Look for Don Burke from Virginia.
see posts 12v Battery Needs Service
My wife and I are currently here in Custer; perhaps will see you this afternoon.
We were in Custer last September on a week road trip and the first morning of our trip in Custer we got the battery needs service message.
We got a different response from Tesla service every time we called.
Conclusion is that you have 2-3 weeks to get this fixed.
Just really annoying to have the console flash a warning continuously for the entire road trip.

see posts 12v Battery Needs Service
My wife and I are currently here in Custer; perhaps will see you this afternoon.
We were in Custer last September on a week road trip and the first morning of our trip in Custer we got the battery needs service message.
We got a different response from Tesla service every time we called.
Conclusion is that you have 2-3 weeks to get this fixed.
Just really annoying to have the console flash a warning continuously for the entire road trip.
Thanks. I'll be going to Denver on Sunday. The service Center can replace it while I wait on Monday. The text took a very close look at the logs and we're quite confident I'd be able to make the whole trip but I don't care to risk it. Maybe I can Caravan with a bunch of folks going back to Denver if anyone is going on Sunday.

I decided to stay in Custer for the night. I was going to go down today, Friday, but I awoke to a 12 volt battery needs service warning. Any advice for me? My next major stop was going to be Seattle. Roadside service says people usually have two to three weeks before the car stops working but that isn't very comforting when I'd be traveling through the middle of nowhere. Doesn't sound like Mobile support could get here to Custer until next week. I'm waiting for a call back now. Anyone go through this before? How far do you think I can push this? Can I continue to Seattle or should I divert down to Denver to get this fixed?
If they said 2-3 weeks, I think you'd be fine. Maybe keep a blanket (or preferably a sleeping bag) and a bunch of water in the trunk just in case, but as long as you stay on the interstate, you should have cell phone coverage so if something goes wrong, you can call Roadside Assistance or AAA or whatever to come pick you up in a flatbed. If it were middle of winter, I might feel differently but you won't be facing life threatening weather at this time of year, so that is a huge plus lol.

FWIW I did have a tire blow out between Butte and Missoula last year and it wasn't too big a problem. Took about an hour or so to get a tow truck from Anaconda to pick me up and take me to Missoula where I spent the night and got my tires replaced the next day.

Reactions: theflyer
The grand opening of this SC is today...although it's been working for a while now. It's rather overcast here at the moment, so hopefully the sun pops out so I can get some better photos with all the cars here. This is a pic of my car from yesterday, the road in front is gravel and my car got a bit muddy, but the rain overnight took care of that as it was like a free car wash.

upload_2018-5-19_8-6-6.png

The grand opening of this SC is today...although it's been working for a while now. It's rather overcast here at the moment, so hopefully the sun pops out so I can get some better photos with all the cars here. This is a pic of my car from yesterday, the road in front is gravel and my car got a bit muddy, but the rain overnight took care of that as it was like a free car wash.

View attachment 302243
For those not visiting during rain, there is a touchless car wash close by. Since the bison herds in Custer State Park often hang out near some dusty unpaved roads, we found it handy.

Reactions: vdiv and IT Geek
Please expand on the "cascade of vehicle failures." What are you talking about?
Okay, carry on — it seems just my car is toast, and probably unrelated to the charger! Will update here if I find otherwise. Several others charged here successfully while I was stuck broken down, so the charger seems sound. Still at 1/2 capacity due to parked construction vehicles, but working.

• Informative
Reactions: Bighorn