Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Swartz Creek, MI

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In the USA, Swartz Creek is definitely an outlier. It is currently in 8th place for longest time from construction to open (at least as can be identified by supercharge.info crowdsource data. Go to this link and turn off all countries but the USA. Here are the top 20 or so with Swartz Creek's infobox presented. Another 25 days and it'll be in the top 5.

upload_2020-1-13_22-3-17.png

Hmm... Well, that's not Tesla. So looks like the contractor had more work to do before they hand over the site. Which then explains why they told you before they were going to wait till "after the holidays" cause they sure do have all the parking spaces taken up.

Worst parking ever. Clearly ICEd — Did someone request towing? I wonder why this hasn’t gone viral yet. Some philosophical questions while we are all waiting for this charger to go live: Can a not working charger be considered ICEd? And if a charger state is unknown (aka Schrödinger’s cat) it could be not working and therefore not being ICEd. Therefore the only way to find out is to plug in — which is not possible as it wouldn’t be ICEd. Ergo the state of ICEd doesn’t exist unless we also allow non working chargers having an ICEd state or where did I make a mistake in my thinking Any way I hope it’s working soon, so they can start working on all the other chargers which were promised to be up by 2018. Happy waiting...
PS I just realized that the Emojis I had sprinkled in are dropped and adding some using menus is also not working :–(

Last edited:
The same crew was at the Swartz Creek SC again today. When I drove by they had all the pedestal covers off and look to be running new wires between them. It was quite a mess around there and couldn't get a good photo of it. I asked one of the crew if they had any idea when it might be working and he snarkily said "check back in the spring"......definitely not the friendly Tesla type.
Later in the evening crew was gone and everything was all put back together and cleaned up. The charger handles are locked in place (unable to unhook them) and there were no numbers/letters on the pedestals yet. It looks like it is ready for the friendly Tesla crew to come out and get it turned on. Hopefully this happens next week. I'll be sure to send the "drone" out on Tuesday to take a look. :)

The friendly Tesla crew is usually just one guy driving some flavor of Tesla. He/she (hey never saw that but why not) puts the numbers on the stalls and does all the verification of the site. Could be there's some inspection work that the city has to do before they hand things over to Tesla (especially with all the new wiring that they just added)...so who knows.

But if the stalls are lit (the Tesla logo is illuminated) and the numbers are on then you should be able to charge...which will be before it shows up in the car or on the website...usually.

After all of this reporting I'd think you want to make sure you get the virgin charge off that thing...I'd be disappointed if you didn't. :)

Reactions: mrau
My drone went by Swartz Creek today and saw a Model X plugged in. Just then the owner came out of the store and came back to the car. Asked them if they were getting a charge and the owner said No. They thought they were when plugging in and it said Ready To Charge, so they left it plugged in to go shopping. Never did get a charge though. Like @IT Geek said, no number, no lights.....no charge.

It would be nice to be the first to charge when they do open, but I will settle for the top ten or one hundred. Just Git-R-Done.

This is on our daily watch list now.

IMG_0471.jpeg

About 5 guys were still working on the wiring and stuff today
Wouldn’t it be interesting if this was an experiment with a v2 to v3 conversion/retrofit?

It would definitely be awesome to have V3 here, but the infrastructure installed by the utility was sized for a V2 station and I haven't seen a new load request come through for this site unfortunately... Unless they're planning on slapping down a megapack somewhere! :)

Reactions: mrau