Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Sweetwater, TX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is a pic of me charging my p100d in Sweetwater. Obviously not charging at the rate it's supposed to but good enough for someone who just needs a little cushion or someone staying the night. I'm in stall 3B. Tried a couple other stalls but this one was by far best option.

My charge rate dropped significantly while I was in restroom. I received a 4% jump over 19minutes of charging.

I made it home today without any issue from Cisco supercharger to Lubbock. I charged to 99% in Cisco and it showed I would have 10% remaining when I would arrive at my house. I did stop by Sweetwater like I posted to see what rate of charge I could get. I gained 4% over 19 minutes of charging. It was a total of 219 miles from Cisco to my house. I drove 70mph for the first 85 miles. Then 75mph for next 54 miles. At this point I could tell I was in great shape plus I had gained another 4% so I pumped it to 85mph for the remaining 80 miles and I arrived with 17% remaining charge when I pulled into my garage.

I'm going to be headed back to Dallas Thursday with my wife, 2 children and luggage and I plan to start at my house with 100% charge and drive to Cisco. It will be interesting to see the consumption difference from today compared to Thursday. It also, appears to be hovering around 40 degrees on Thursday.

Reactions: nwdiver
I'm going to be headed back to Dallas Thursday with my wife, 2 children and luggage and I plan to start at my house with 100% charge and drive to Cisco. It will be interesting to see the consumption difference from today compared to Thursday. It also, appears to be hovering around 40 degrees on Thursday.

Wind is the big x Factor. The difference in energy consumption between a 20mph tail wind and a 20mph head wind is HUGE.... HUUUUGE.

I stopped by Sweetwater on Thursday the 22nd and attached are the pics of the charge I was receiving. There was a total of 21 minutes of elapsed time between pics. As you can see I was receiving a good charge. I learned that stall 3A is the only stall that you will receive a charge. The other stalls either don't work at all or will charge good for a minute then tapper off to close to no charge at all. I also stopped by there today while driving back to Lubbock and I received the same rate of charge as I did on the 22nd. I'm glad I did as there was a very strong and sustained wind out of north that killed my range while headed to Lubbock and I'm not sure I could have made it back to Lubbock from my charge in Cisco.

Attachments

• IMG_0631.JPG
    IMG_0631.JPG
    195 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_0632.JPG
    IMG_0632.JPG
    231.4 KB · Views: 74
@Lbkmxp100d, can you report if you tried out the stalls in series, beginning with 1A, 1B, etc. -> 4B? Or did you begin your testing from the other end of the stalls, with 4B, 4A, 3B, etc. -> 1A. I sense that for most drivers, there is a mild preference to start with the 1A, especially in Texas, because it reminds us of A1 Steak Sauce ;)

I charged at Sweetwater one week ago (Dec. 26th).

I arrived, having charged at Cisco, with 156 miles of charge on my P85. I plugged into 3A and charged to 190 miles. The Kw was stable, starting at 56, then slowly tapering down a bit to 52 Kw by the time the charge had reached 190 miles. Since that was plenty for me to reach the Midland SC (taking into account winds and cold temperatures that evening), I decided to experiment.

I plugged into 3B. The Kw was immediately unstable, bouncing from the 40's to the single digits. I was only able to add 6-7 miles of range in ten minutes of charging.

I then plugged back into 3A, and to my surprise, I could scarcely get a single Kw from it! After several minutes of charging, I had not added even a single mile of range.

I then randomly picked another pedestal, 1B. Another surprise. Early in December, when I tried this pedestal, it charged with a low, unstable Kw, with very little output. However, on Dec 26th, it worked entirely normal. It was charging with a stable Kw in the high 40's, which is normal for my battery when it has about 200 miles of charge.

As for reports of vandalism to this SC: a few of the Tesla sign posts were vandalized since I had been there earlier in December. I did not see any vandalism to the pedestals, the inverters, or the inverter enclosure, including the locks.

My tesla is the model X. There is a red X 90d in town. I saw it yesterday while at Covenant. I'm 24 mi from Sweetwater supercharger so I will update shortly. Showing offline on tesla nav but I will verify since some said they got a slow charge. I'm currently showing a 12% reserve when I get home but it would be nice to get another 10% if possible.

I'm going to message you my cell.

Sounds like I moved away just in time. I enjoyed being the only one in town for 1.5 years, but now that they're apparently everywhere I wouldn't feel special anymore. :p I knew you were in town when I had people telling me "I saw you at..." for places I never was, lol.

One day, as the pioneer I was, you can invite me back to regale the young people with tales about how I slept in the back of mine at the Abilene KOA because that was the only option.

• Funny
Reactions: bollar
Looking to take a trip from Austin to the West Coast via I-40 in my Model S P90D. Newbie to long-distance trips in the Tesla, although I seem to track well to projections so far on the trip energy planner.

Can anyone comment if it would be better to do Austin->Cisco->Childress or Austin->Junction->Sweetwater->Childress? I've mapped out both routes using the EV trip planner and by the Nav computer and the more direct Austin->Cisco->Childress route is less time (30-60 minutes less) but also less reserve (on the order of 10% reserve at each segment destination). In contrast, the Austin->Junction->Sweetwater->Childress route allows me to arrive at each segment destination with reserves on the order of ~25%. I would be starting out from Northwest Austin and am hesitant to arrive with ~10% charge.

Looking to take a trip from Austin to the West Coast via I-40 in my Model S P90D. Newbie to long-distance trips in the Tesla, although I seem to track well to projections so far on the trip energy planner.

Can anyone comment if it would be better to do Austin->Cisco->Childress or Austin->Junction->Sweetwater->Childress? I've mapped out both routes using the EV trip planner and by the Nav computer and the more direct Austin->Cisco->Childress route is less time (30-60 minutes less) but also less reserve (on the order of 10% reserve at each segment destination). In contrast, the Austin->Junction->Sweetwater->Childress route allows me to arrive at each segment destination with reserves on the order of ~25%. I would be starting out from Northwest Austin and am hesitant to arrive with ~10% charge.

I would just go the more direct route. Just be sure to charge up to 90% or more in Cisco and you should be fine.

I plugged into 1A with 20 miles of range left in my P100DL model X and immediately received 112kw. That held for 10 min so my family and I decided to head down to schlotskys but before we go out of hotel parking lot I glanced at my phone and my charge rate had dropped to 21kw:( so I sent my family off w/o me and I moved to 3A. I have been on 3A since 77 mikes of range and I now have 135. Charger has held steady at 110kw. I will report back if charge drops off.

I have been experiences a high volume of charging stalls with fluctuating charge rates. I'm not an experienced owner as I took delivery on dec 20th but for the 1st month I drove 4,500 miles all over Midwest and never had any drop in charge rate that was out of norm but unfortunately I haven't been to a supercharger over last couple months that I haven't had to move my vehicle to try and find a stall with faster charge. Anyone else experiencing same issues? If so, what's been you experience?