Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Tannersville, PA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What shop/store is this near in the outlet lot? Nothing distinguishable from the photos. Thanks

After looking closer, the cemetery in the background gives it away. It's located in the back of Brooks Brothers, which is right next to the entrance. You have to go around the back of the building to access the chargers. Should make ice-ing less of a problem. Kind of kicking myself because when I scoped out the site about a month ago I did not go around to the back of that building; all the others, yes, but not that one.

Lots of construction on the east coast for year-end.

Am i counting correctly? Looks like 7 pedestals. Aren't they usually installed in pairs?

Normally. There are locations with 7 pedestals.

Looking at tturbotom's photos, it seems to be a pull-in spot near, then 5 back-ins, then the last one is actually a pull-in spot around the corner. So maybe there's another back-in spot around the corner.

I notice what looks like orange construction mesh in the distance. If that's where the electric installations are, then the run would be coming from around the corner anyway...

Instalation has begun

- - - Updated - - -

View attachment 103446

I received a request to comment on the three pole mounted transformers in the background of this picture. The only place that I know of that uses pole mounted transformers for a Supercharger Site is in Inyokern, CA. See Supercharger - Inyokern (Went LIVE on 03-20-2015) - Page 7

Inyokern only has 4 charging pedestals and 2 Supercharger cabinets. Short analysis: 2 Supercharger Cabinets at 135 kW DC Out or 150 kW AC In need 300 kW AC power or 300 kVA. That can be provided by 3 100-kVA, pole-mounted, single-phase transformers, 1 on each phase.

OTOH, Tannersville has 7 charging stalls, needing 4 Supercharger Cabinets. That would require 600 kVA total, or 3 200-kVA, pole-mounted, single-phase transformers. I don't have a lot of expertise here, but I doubt that you can find pole-mounted transformers that big, or what the pole would have to look like to hold them. Those pole mounted transformers probably serve another building in the area.

My recommendation would be to keep looking for a ground mounted transformer and a trench for the HV conduit and cabling from one of those poles to the transformer location.

Happy sleuthing! Keep the pictures coming. I regularly award reputation points for good pix!

I received a request to comment on the three pole mounted transformers in the background of this picture. The only place that I know of that uses pole mounted transformers for a Supercharger Site is in Inyokern, CA. See Supercharger - Inyokern (Went LIVE on 03-20-2015) - Page 7

Inyokern only has 4 charging pedestals and 2 Supercharger cabinets. Short analysis: 2 Supercharger Cabinets at 135 kW DC Out or 150 kW AC In need 300 kW AC power or 300 kVA. That can be provided by 3 100-kVA, pole-mounted, single-phase transformers, 1 on each phase.

OTOH, Tannersville has 7 charging stalls, needing 4 Supercharger Cabinets. That would require 600 kVA total, or 3 200-kVA, pole-mounted, single-phase transformers. I don't have a lot of expertise here, but I doubt that you can find pole-mounted transformers that big, or what the pole would have to look like to hold them. Those pole mounted transformers probably serve another building in the area.

My recommendation would be to keep looking for a ground mounted transformer and a trench for the HV conduit and cabling from one of those poles to the transformer location.

Happy sleuthing! Keep the pictures coming. I regularly award reputation points for good pix!

Thanks for weighing in! It would be nice if we got some pics from around the corner. hint, hint to our local members :)

Thanks for weighing in! It would be nice if we got some pics from around the corner. hint, hint to our local members :)
Stopped by today. PPL was working on the poles. They have no idea when it is going live and had more questions for me than I had for them about it.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 141
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 108
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 113
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 119
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 114
At this point and all future buildout should be accounting for model III.

It took them 3 years to get here and this is going to be a major route. 8 double stalls (16 spaces) makes a lot of sense.

Places like Newark are going to need expanded to 32 or more stalls when model III gets here.

Just 8, the odd spacing is because some are for cars on one side and the last one is a pull in spot for the other side. Very odd arrangement indeed.

The layout is probably more to conform to the footprint of the building than anything else. In the original picture, the closest charger was a pull in as well as the first one around the corner, so two for this site.

Stopped by today. PPL was working on the poles. They have no idea when it is going live and had more questions for me than I had for them about it.
Thanks for the excellent pictures! That sure looks like they plan to support 4 Supercharger cabinets with 3 pole mounted transformers. Does it look like they are planning an enclosure for the cabinets?

At this point and all future buildout should be accounting for model III.

It took them 3 years to get here and this is going to be a major route. 8 double stalls (16 spaces) makes a lot of sense.

Places like Newark are going to need expanded to 32 or more stalls when model III gets here.

I seriously doubt that. They will increase number of locations dramatically, but not the number of chargers at each location, at least not dramatically. There just isn't likely to be enough electricity. Not that I am an EE, but what I have seen here, approximately: each charger outputs up to 135 kW, intakes up to ~ 150kW. 32 stalls means 16 chargers, 16*150= 2400 kW = 3000 kVA. Google search shows that to be about 9x the electrical usage of an average Kohl's.

I am admittedly imitating someone who knows about electrical infrastructure, but the amount of energy required for 32 DCFCs is just plainly huge.

Thanks for the excellent pictures! That sure looks like they plan to support 4 Supercharger cabinets with 3 pole mounted transformers. Does it look like they are planning an enclosure for the cabinets?

This is a first: powering an 8-Stall Supercharger Site with pole-mounted transformers, but I think that you may be correct.

See ABB Pole-Mounted Transformers for an existence proof that pole-mounted transformers are available from ABB up to 315 kVA. This site would need about 200 kVA per phase.

Next, look closely at a crop of those previous pictures. The pole mounted transformers are pretty big, and it sure looks like the connections are being made to the secondary (480/277 Volt) side of those transformers with multiple large cables to carry the required 725 Amps per phase. Also, compare those transformer cans to the lineman. The cans are pretty BIG. Finally, notice that the cans are mounted on a new pole, indicating that these transformers were not there already. Although non-standard, if I were mounting these big transformers on that pole, I would arrange them on 120˚ spacing instead of 90˚ spacing around the pole, to equalize the lateral stress on the pole.

Tannersville-xfmr.jpeg