Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Tannersville, PA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It happened at different houses. The 14-50 wiring is fine. The UMC is just poorly designed that allows itself to melt if it's not completely snapped together tight or not seated right.
If this is true, then this is all the more reason to use a wall connector (previously known as a HPWC) instead of the UMC. I'm glad I did. My 2 year old UMC has only been used ~ 7 times.

Maybe this is a big part of the reason why the new UMCs come with the 15-40 plug permanently attached. No more opportunity to connect the adaptor loosely, no more opportunity to melt?

I did not know that the new UMC's are 14-50 only. that's probably exactly the reason why then. they want to reduce the risk if getting sued if a house burns down for sure.
You didn't know it because it's not so. Tesla sells a "non-universal" mobile connector with a permanent 14-50 for $30 less than the UMC, and also the same UMC we all have. The new cars come with the usual UMC. I've never heard of anyone buying the "non-universal" mobile connector.

• Informative
Reactions: CSFTN
Why did they do that? Maybe you should rent a house that is more accommodating.
I asked about 120v outlets by the driveway (it is a very large house we are sharing with a lot of friends) and they said "our circuits don't support that" and that previous guests trying that have caused "damage to the equipment". Which sounds to me like their circuits are not up to code and a fire hazard, or maybe someone tried to pull too many amps. HomeAway, VRBO and AirBnB need to add filterable charging amentities (including 120v) to their listings ASAP, everyone should send them this feedback. In the future I honesty probably won't ask and will just bring long extension cords.

Don't ask. If the plug fits, it should deliver the power to the spec. If not, it's not your problem.
Agreed - you are only pulling a trickle charge for your car, which is well below the normal 15 amp circuit capabaility. But I understand the reluctance to go against the rental house rules if they do spot inspections and see your car plugged in.

Agreed - you are only pulling a trickle charge for your car, which is well below the normal 15 amp circuit capabaility. But I understand the reluctance to go against the rental house rules if they do spot inspections and see your car plugged in.
No, this is not true. We may consider 120V charging to be "trickle charging" compared to the rate the battery is capable of, but when charging at 12A that's a full load for the 15 amp circuit.

Reactions: jthompson
My wife just went here last weekend and Tesla moved the spots to the other end of the parking lot. That's got to be a first. There were there, but moved to another location in the same parking lot.
So they are no longer by Brooks Brothers? I haven't been there in a bit. I'll take a drive tomorrow and take photos.

I don't know what stores are where, but I just questioned her. "When you get off 80 and make a left at the traffic light they are RIGHT THERE. Right by the road before the first entrance." and she said "Wait! They were always there? Ok they didn't move them. Sorry."

The conversation last night from her was "Hey, you remember the Tesla superchargers at the outlets? Well they moved them. They are no longer where they were. They moved them to the other end of the parking lot." She was naming stores and I have no idea what stores are where.

I didn't question anything last night, I just said "ok, we've been there together. If she says they are moved, I guess the outlet complex had other ideas where they wanted them." But I think I'm gonna have her committed. They didn't move them. Sorry for the confusion. :)

As you approach the mall, the chargers are visible on your right hand side but you have to circle the bldg. to access. Pic attached

Attachments

• tannersville.jpg
    tannersville.jpg
    452.1 KB · Views: 95
  • Informative
Reactions: stevem and Stasla