Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Tysons, VA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From what I was told, it is supposed to be in Bloomingdales garage and is supposed to be the largest supercharger in the country. They are expecting to be a total of 40 stalls.

Nope, it's going to be 10 72kW stalls. I started the 40 unit rumor based on information I received about 9-12 months ago. The macro level location was right (Tysons Mall), as was the fact that it's going to be 72kW "urban" chargers, but the quantity and exact location (which lot) was wrong.

IMG_5474.jpg

10 urban-style charging posts are planned to be installed against this wall on the lowest level (L1) on the western end of Garage B.

Wonder what they will do about the red and green occupancy lights above the charging spots?

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: scaesare and vdiv
Urban chargers... cool!

First I'm aware of around here... and also explains the placement a little better. This isn't necessarily supposed to support long-distance travel and be convenient to get to from a major travel corridor, etc..

Nope, it's going to be 10 72kW stalls. I started the 40 unit rumor based on information I received about 9-12 months ago. The macro level location was right (Tysons Mall), as was the fact that it's going to be 72kW "urban" chargers, but the quantity and exact location (which lot) was wrong.

Based on my conversations, I was also expecting a larger installation of urban Superchargers. I think 10 stalls will be pretty busy most of the time.

Was just at mall all existing chargers are full.

the lights are green open
the red is occupied.
blue is handicapped.
Purple I believe is special and that would cover them.

flashing red is someone who has parked over 4 or 8 hours. and can be towed.

The green counters count all spaces. I don't know enough about the Park Assist systems whether, or not handicapped spaces are even in the count. so they could drop the count to the Tesla chargers. Loops or Frog sensors count the top deck spaces as people come and go.

• Informative
Reactions: hoang51 and Lanny
Was just at mall all existing chargers are full.

the lights are green open
the red is occupied.
blue is handicapped.
Purple I believe is special and that would cover them.

flashing red is someone who has parked over 4 or 8 hours. and can be towed.

The green counters count all spaces. I don't know enough about the Park Assist systems whether, or not handicapped spaces are even in the count. so they could drop the count to the Tesla chargers. Loops or Frog sensors count the top deck spaces as people come and go.

Slight correction. Flashing purple is for vehicles that have stayed over the maximum time (24 hours, I believe).

My understanding is that the plans need to be picked up in person at Fairfax County Government Center by the applicant before the permit is officially considered "issued." Keep an eye on the "Current Plan Location" info on this FIDO record.

In talking with the sales people at Tysons Corner, two different employees told me that this would be a 45 stall installation. I said "45? Really?" They double confirmed.

-Jim

Permit is for Ten. But like you i heard at most 40 stalls. I would say they start with the 10 then expand. everytime I go up there the 8 little chargers are fully occupied. I remember seeing tesla's in line waiting to get any type of charge.

Permit is for Ten. But like you i heard at most 40 stalls. I would say they start with the 10 then expand. everytime I go up there the 8 little chargers are fully occupied. I remember seeing tesla's in line waiting to get any type of charge.

And to add to that, when the existing wall connectors are fully occupied, the charge rate drops down to 20 amps per vehicle (4 stations share a 100 amp breaker).

Reactions: vdiv
Wonder if the longer term plan is indeed for more stalls wether those would be installed in the other garages. For now the only concrete plan as applied for and approved by FFX County is this one for 10.

There is certainly plenty of room for them to expand, both in garage B and elsewhere around the complex. It'll be interesting to see how much utilization the 10 Supercharges get, considering that the 8 wall connectors are often full.

Personally, I'd like to see at least 4 wall connectors in each of the five mall garages (A, B, C, D and E), allowing patrons to choose their preferred parking location. Installation would be straight forward and inexpensive, since each garage has its own electrical room... just put the wall connectors on a shared 100 amp circuit in the closest spaces and call it a day. All of the garages have been converted to LED lighting in recent years, so there should be plenty of electrical overhead.

In addition, the mall is severely lacking J1772 public charging stations. If they decide they don't want to subsidize power for shoppers, which I can understand, I'd like to see them partner with Chargepoint and get some J1772 stations installed in the garages. I'd actually prefer this to Tesla wall connectors if it's a one-or-the-other situation.

Reactions: kingjamez