Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger Revenue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting stats from their information page: https://www.tesla.com/NACS

1709218820356.png

Most of the 12,000+ stalls not available for use by NACS vehicles are V2 Superchargers...

It seems we now know that Tesla is going to charge NACS vehicle owners more than they charge Tesla owners. A quick look at three sites, within about 15 miles, in Oregon shows that they aren't consistent:

• Troutdale, OR: $0.03/kWh more flat all day
  • Portland, OR @ Ikea: $0.04/kWh more during off and mid-peak times, but $0.07/kWh more during peak times.
  • Portland, OR @ Jantzen Beach: $0.12/kWh more all day.
Or they can pay the $12.99/month to get the lower prices via the Tesla Supercharging subscription.

If they use the OEM service/app to pay, instead of the Tesla app, it is likely marked up even more. (It will be interesting to see how much Ford marks this up.)

I read the linked article.

As somebody that has followed the company for over a decade, I see so many glaring omissions and missed emphasis, its just painful.

In this case I suspect that there is no malicious intent - its being written by a journalist that doesn't have any history, so they are making a surface level observation about the industry as it exists today, and just barely being aware of how we have arrived at today.

No - Tesla did not set out to establish their own standard as the standard by which all EV charging in the US would happen. Actually Tesla set out to build a functional EV charging network for Tesla vehicles, because the standards bodies were dragging their feet quite effectively, and publishing standards for unreliable stations. And there was no public charging network available that could be relied on (unless you call the ability to rely on it not working to be "relied on"), and charging is important. What existed outside of Tesla didn't work, wouldn't scale, and the standards body members (other car companies) weren't all that motivated to make it work, NOW.

No - Tesla charging stations are not reliable and ubiquitous because Tesla is well capitalized. The network is -now- backed by a well capitalized company because back when charging station network was just another long winded way of saying "let's go bankrupt!", Tesla was spending a lot of their cash flow building the network, and making it denser, and building bigger stations with more chargers. Back when bankruptcy was still something talked about in relation to Tesla. So Tesla vehicles wouldn't have the charging anxiety and trouble, whether at home or on the road, that everybody else faces. As a result, that charging network is (indeed) now backed by a well capitalized company.

Because the charging network was the best place to spend advertising and marketing dollars that everybody else has been spending on Super Bowl ads, in establishing the market and persuading consumers to buy.

I could go on.

I am starting to see my Tesla share ownership as a free call option on a new business - Standard Oil of the 21st century. I like free call options on the disruption of trillion dollar industries, with an open ended days to expiration :)

There are a lot of locations like this where it would be better to park on the OTHER side of the SC overall. Front into the stall and use only one spot overall. It would still appear to be an empty parking charging spot when another Tesla arrives, but at least it would only use ONE stall and occupy ONE charger. Lots of SC’s I’ve been to could be utilized this way.

Reactions: Buckminster