Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Wichita, KS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'll tell you what would really be antidotal... building a new v3 supercharger in Wichita!
Came to this thread and was surprised to learn I was the most recent poster from 2 years ago!

I stopped here in the wee hours last night with a warm battery and low SOC. There was one other car plugged into 3B that appeared to have been there a while, either sleeping or abandoned for the night (tinted windows so couldn't see in). Just in case it was still charging, I didn't want to plug into 3A. I tried 1A and it only delivered 60-something kW. So I moved to 2A and it only delivered 90-something. Then finally 2B delivered the expected 144kW or whatever it usually is at a v2.

So 1A is either a bad stall or bad cabinet, and 2A is a bad stall. Not a disaster by any means, but I am surprised that a city like Wichita still only has a wimpy 9 year old 6-stall v2 supercharger. Equipment being subpar only makes it worse. Not only that, but those travelling north/south don't get any v3s between I-80 in Nebraska and OKC. I realize this part of the country isn't exactly EV-crazed, but that is a long stretch of mediocre supercharging for a relatively major route.

EDIT to add: Actually looking back at the map, there isn't any supercharger at all where you intersect with I-80 at York, NE and the nearest supercharger along I-80 is Grand Island which is just a v2. I would recommend putting v3s in York and Salina, KS and either upgrading or installing new v3s in Wichita and Perry, OK.

• Informative
Reactions: GleanerC
I talked with the local mobile service technician the first week of April while he was working on the CCS retrofit on my 2018 Model 3. He alluded to plans to install a new site out north of Wichita. I couldn’t tell if there were real plans or that was just something that he hoped to get installed with his driving area. I mentioned to him the planned NEVI-funded stations going east and west from Wichita, which should help his travels.

It didn’t really seem like mentioning since it wasn’t anything concrete. Add to that the upheaval in the team with the layoffs and not expecting much soon.

I would like to see stations at the Wellington service area on the Turnpike just south of Wichita as well as the Matfield Green one halfway between El Dorado and Emporia.

In addition, Rivian recently opened a RAN site on the NE corner of Wichita (K-96 and Greenwich. Those are supposed to open to other vehicles by the end of the year.

Reactions: GleanerC