Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Wilkes-Barre,PA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Spotted a new supercharger coming to Wilkes-Barre. PA near the Target located at 3400 Wilkes Barre Twp Commons, Wilkes-Barre Township, PA 18702

Attachments

• IMG_2804.jpeg
    IMG_2804.jpeg
    707.6 KB · Views: 881
  • IMG_2803.jpeg
    IMG_2803.jpeg
    707.2 KB · Views: 180
  • IMG_2802.jpeg
    IMG_2802.jpeg
    704.5 KB · Views: 166
Wilkes-Barre Township, PA

Host Type: Mall
Host: Wilkes-Barre Township Commons
Along Primary Interstates: I-81
Along US Numbered Highways (<=5mi): US-11
Along Auxiliary Interstates: None

I-81

To: Moosic, PA (v2) - 14.5 miles
Diversion: 2.5 miles
To: Binghamton, NY (v2) - 80.4 miles

US-11

To: Moosic, PA (v2) - 20.4 miles
Diversion: 9.4 miles
To: Binghamton, NY (v2) - 87 miles

Pathetic Splitter! On I-81 Wilkes-Barre Township, PA splits 115.2 miles, 103.2 miles from Harrisburg, PA, 14.5 miles to Moosic, PA.
It would split the #36 gap and move it down to joint #62nd.

Truthfully this is supplementing the existing 8-stall v2 Moosic, PA Supercharger with a new 12-stall v3 Supercharger, and this and Matamoras, PA will help with the I-80/I-81/I-84 connection which currently has a v3 gap of 224.2 miles, from Mill Hall, PA to Fishkill, NY.

• Informative
Reactions: BagheeraNY
Wilkes-Barre Township, PA
Pathetic Splitter! On I-81 Wilkes-Barre Township, PA splits 115.2 miles, 103.2 miles from Harrisburg, PA, 14.5 miles to Moosic, PA.
It would split the #36 gap and move it down to joint #62nd.

Truthfully this is supplementing the existing 8-stall v2 Moosic, PA Supercharger with a new 12-stall v3 Supercharger, and this and Matamoras, PA will help with the I-80/I-81/I-84 connection which currently has a v3 gap of 224.2 miles, from Mill Hall, PA to Fishkill, NY.
Interestingly, the current north-south v3 gap is even worse - along 15/81 this will be the the first 250kW option between Mechanicsburg and Tully (246 miles). Sticking closer to 81, the current v3 gap is Hagerstown to Tully (310 miles).

Selfishly, I'm in the DC area and my son just committed to Syracuse, so I'll be frequenting the I-81 corridor and will be glad to have another option with faster charging that isn't so close to the start or end of our trip. Not super-convenient to many food options though, aside from picking up a snack at Target, or a 5-6 minute walk to Panera and a couple other places.

Hazleton might be a better option, and it would also be a bit more convenient (though still 6mi out of the way) for I-80 travelers.

Hasn't been a lot of V3 activity along that part of 81. Guess that is the price we pay for the route being enabled early, and not a lot of volume necessitating more capacity. Have you timed the difference charging at a V3 vs an unpaired V2? At what SOC does your car taper below the V2 speed? I know the V2 is slower, but how much shorter would your trip time from DC to Syracuse be if the V2s were V3s?

On the positive side, it is probably just 2 charges in the summer (Harrisburg / Binghamton), and 3 in the winter (add Scranton). And a great school with sports teams that are fun to watch (something to do when you visit!).

Hasn't been a lot of V3 activity along that part of 81. Guess that is the price we pay for the route being enabled early, and not a lot of volume necessitating more capacity. Have you timed the difference charging at a V3 vs an unpaired V2? At what SOC does your car taper below the V2 speed? I know the V2 is slower, but how much shorter would your trip time from DC to Syracuse be if the V2s were V3s?

On the positive side, it is probably just 2 charges in the summer (Harrisburg / Binghamton), and 3 in the winter (add Scranton). And a great school with sports teams that are fun to watch (something to do when you visit!).
tes-s,
I’ll use the Carlisle Sheets as an example of past experience. At a V3 my model Y will charge at a rate of over 1,000mph as I’m pulling 240 kw. A V2 will do around 600 mph and maxes out at 150 kw. That particular Sheetz however is always busy being a must stop and you share chargers. Now you’re getting a 75 kw power supply and max out at 300 mph. True a V3 station would trickle down to a rate of 75 kw over time but that’s when you already have 70%. Basically if you need 70% to continue it’s a difference of 15-20 minutes versus 35-45.

tes-s,
I’ll use the Carlisle Sheets as an example of past experience. At a V3 my model Y will charge at a rate of over 1,000mph as I’m pulling 240 kw. A V2 will do around 600 mph and maxes out at 150 kw. That particular Sheetz however is always busy being a must stop and you share chargers. Now you’re getting a 75 kw power supply and max out at 300 mph. True a V3 station would trickle down to a rate of 75 kw over time but that’s when you already have 70%. Basically if you need 70% to continue it’s a difference of 15-20 minutes versus 35-45.
At what SOC does your Model Y drop to 150kW? I just don't think the difference in charge time is that dramatic, though my car charges pretty much the same speed at a V2 or V3.

I've been to Harrisburg and Binghamton V2s along I-81 between DC and Syracuse often, and rarely is there anyone there and don't remember having to share - which is probably why that route is not getting any V3 love yet. They did add a V3 in Mechanicsburg. The nearby Roscoe V2 was always busy - now there is a V3 in Hanover and all is good.

I do remember when they added the Carlisle location - helped alleviate the congestion at Harrisburg. With the V3 in Mechanicsburg now (10 miles away) there is still congestion at Carlisle? When traveling east/west through Harrisburg now I still stop at Carlisle sometimes, but I would think most people with newer cars would be better off skipping it and use the V3s in Breezewood and Hamburg, or charge at Mechanicsburg instead of Carlisle.

Could be worse - could be looking for CCS chargers. :)

Reactions: lensovet
At what SOC does your Model Y drop to 150kW? I just don't think the difference in charge time is that dramatic, though my car charges pretty much the same speed at a V2 or V3.

I've been to Harrisburg and Binghamton V2s along I-81 between DC and Syracuse often, and rarely is there anyone there and don't remember having to share - which is probably why that route is not getting any V3 love yet. They did add a V3 in Mechanicsburg. The nearby Roscoe V2 was always busy - now there is a V3 in Hanover and all is good.

I do remember when they added the Carlisle location - helped alleviate the congestion at Harrisburg. With the V3 in Mechanicsburg now (10 miles away) there is still congestion at Carlisle? When traveling east/west through Harrisburg now I still stop at Carlisle sometimes, but I would think most people with newer cars would be better off skipping it and use the V3s in Breezewood and Hamburg, or charge at Mechanicsburg instead of Carlisle.

Could be worse - could be looking for CCS chargers. :)
I would recommend just doing a search on charging curves. You can see what others have mapped out. That’s getting beyond the scope of the Wilkes Barre supercharger. I live in NC but travel the I-81 corridor. Just my personal experience, I always hit those V2 chargers with 6 or 7 cars there and have to split the charge. Just bad timing. I-81 has plenty of charging once you get south of PA. I hope they start filling in the gaps as there are many throughout NY and PA

Oh cool! I was thinking of offering a destination charger at my garage in town, unfortunately its on a hard to find alleyway with lots of potholes. Was gong to call it Last resort charging! Running around town I've used enough getting back to WAWA in Blakeslee, on my way out of town was cutting it too close. I have a plug @ my garage for my travel charger so i can do 34A, but it takes too long to charge. The other 2 destination charges are closed (Arena Bar) or only does 7A, so having these SCs in cities are a huge benefit. It opens up sales to those in apartments and without driveways in the area. Plus, after road tripping to Hilton Head, having a charger at so many exits makes the journey painless. Stop whenever you need a bathroom break, no need to plan it out.

That being said, the Walmart would have been a better location. there's ton of options in the area, just not walking distance.

Oh cool! I was thinking of offering a destination charger at my garage in town, unfortunately its on a hard to find alleyway with lots of potholes. Was gong to call it Last resort charging! Running around town I've used enough getting back to WAWA in Blakeslee, on my way out of town was cutting it too close. I have a plug @ my garage for my travel charger so i can do 34A, but it takes too long to charge. The other 2 destination charges are closed (Arena Bar) or only does 7A, so having these SCs in cities are a huge benefit. It opens up sales to those in apartments and without driveways in the area. Plus, after road tripping to Hilton Head, having a charger at so many exits makes the journey painless. Stop whenever you need a bathroom break, no need to plan it out.

That being said, the Walmart would have been a better location. there's ton of options in the area, just not walking distance.
You mean Wilkes-Barre Township Marketplace. Tesla doesn't have Superchargers at Walmarts, but it has some very close to them in malls. :p