Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Williams Lake, BC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
M

MarcoRP

Thanks to TeslaMcQueen for the tip-off. 8 Stalls under construction at Prosperity Shopping Centre in Williams Lake, BC.

7F5F2169-AF84-4DEE-B04C-BE45BF5062A1.jpeg

Attachments

• CC662EA8-725D-4AF3-98BE-94B73CFD4E87.jpeg
    CC662EA8-725D-4AF3-98BE-94B73CFD4E87.jpeg
    216.5 KB · Views: 258
  • C04248A2-EE88-415C-89B2-DB5776961DBB.jpeg
    C04248A2-EE88-415C-89B2-DB5776961DBB.jpeg
    241.9 KB · Views: 100
  • B26EB33E-314B-4F2E-A76C-D0E9185B3839.jpeg
    B26EB33E-314B-4F2E-A76C-D0E9185B3839.jpeg
    191.8 KB · Views: 95
Need someone to scout Quesnel!

With construction in Williams Lake and a permit in Prince George, it seems likely they'll put one there eventually.
Haha I could volunteer, but its a far way from Vancouver especially. Might be worth a cool trip to Prince Rupert.

Luckily there is Chademo there. And easy to achieve 600km - 800km range in summer weather.

Reactions: PLUS EV
The newer SR+ 3's could probably make that gap in winter, but older ones, especially with a worn battery would need at least a few minutes of L2, if for nothing else than to take some of the cabin heating load off.

On that note, do Tesla's have the ability to use A/C power for heating the battery or cabin? Would make sense, especially for a SR+ connected to a >32A charger to run some of that extra available power to a cheap aux heater.

Ha I don't even look at that map. I've had greater predictive powers just using plain old common sense. I always imagine that map being updated by some intern (who gets fired every year).
Haha. Quesnel is pretty much midway between PG and Williams Lake and the largest urban centre between the two so it makes sense I guess. Also the map seems to be more accurate now as it is updated every quarter and provides more precise estimates than it used to (specific quarter rather than just a year).

Reactions: PLUS EV
On that note, do Tesla's have the ability to use A/C power for heating the battery or cabin? Would make sense, especially for a SR+ connected to a >32A charger to run some of that extra available power to a cheap aux heater.
Depends on the manufacturing date of the M3 SR+ or M3 LR whether it can use the A/C as a heat-pump. For nearly the first two years of Model 3 production, cabin heat is provided by resistive heating elements. I'm pretty certain the A/C could be used to cool the battery as well as the cabin, but I think battery warming would have be resistive based too. When the Model Y started rolling off the production line it came with a heat-pump A/C unit meaning the unit can generate heat or cooling without any resistive elements and can direct it where needed. That is a much more efficient way to heat as you can get 3 times the heat value of running the coolant pumps to cool the ambient air and "dump" the heat into the cabin or battery. You may have heard about the octa-valve that allowed for the cooling fluid to flow in a variety of ways to warm/chill cabin, battery or outside air (as a source or dump of warmth even in cold weather) Shortly after the Model Y launched, the Model 3's also started getting this setup, so the latest ones do use "A/C" to heat cabin and battery. I forget the date the changes started to appear, so you'll have to search one of the Teslarati or Electrek type sites, or maybe someone here remembers.

You ask about "extra available power", where is that coming from? You can't tap into the 220 volt L2 cable or connector, and most level-2 charging runs at max current until the last few minutes of getting to 100% SOC. If charging to a lower SOC, it'll run at max current the whole time. So there is no extra power available. So any plugging in of a "cheap aux heater" means you need access to a 110V outlet too, and that heater will be resistive. That keeps your charging time to a minimum as you can turn off Tesla's cabin heater, but at the cost of being slightly less efficient electrically than using a heat-pump heater, if you have one. Running the car heating system (whether heat-pump or resistive) will obviously slow the battery charging rate, but if you have to do it, you have to do it. And if you didn't heat the cabin before unplugging, then you're going to drain your battery a bit to warm the cabin as you drive. So if range is the priority, heat the car while plugged in.

For models S and X, I don't know of any vintage that don't have heat-pump style A/C units.

I was talking about alternating current, not air conditioning. L2 chargers on 50 or 60A circuits are pretty common, so you could rectify 32A for charging the battery and dump 8A into a cheap resistive heater for the cabin.

I was talking about alternating current, not air conditioning. L2 chargers on 50 or 60A circuits are pretty common, so you could rectify 32A for charging the battery and dump 8A into a cheap resistive heater for the cabin.
The cars definitely use AC power to heat the cabin and battery, regardless of whether equipped with a resistive heater or heat pump. The one difference from what you are envisioning is that the heating actually takes priority, and whatever is left over is used to charge the battery.

The cars definitely use AC power to heat the cabin and battery, regardless of whether equipped with a resistive heater or heat pump. The one difference from what you are envisioning is that the heating actually takes priority, and whatever is left over is used to charge the battery.
The complicated (and expensive) part of charging an EV from AC power is rectification and converting to pack voltage (>350V DC). If you have >40A of AC charging available, but your SR+ can only rectify 32A (some of which, after rectification then provides heat), why not run that extra 8A through a glorified space heater and keep your cabin at 20C on a cold day, whilst you stop for a quick bite of lunch? It's not something people in California need, but it could be the equivalent of a block heater for EVs in cold climates.

Does anyone have any idea if PG is next on the list of chargers that will be constructed. Seems like a logical step seeing as they are in the neighborhood. Also any recent pics on Williams lake construction?

Hoping pg is next, people installing have Alberta plates on trailer. Maybe they making their way to jasper... I drive by the pg sight twice a day, so soon as I see movement will let everyone know.