Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Wilsonville, OR (LIVE 17 Nov 2023, 8 V4 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The handle should be the same size. NACS doesn’t vary from V3 to V4. And the supposed internal Magic Dock shouldn’t be apparent from the outside.
I agree, maybe it was just an optical illusion with how big the chargers are. Also there are new protection posts where the transformer is going in and they are cleared the area for its install, however it has not arrived.

When Tesla released the NACS spec, the 1000v capable handle was a little bigger. There’s a chance that’s what we’re dealing with.
IMG_5986.jpeg

I think it’s liquid cooling, and the thicker insulation to keep back double the voltage
With electricity, it is about amperage. You can up the voltage on the same gauge wire and it still allows the same amperage. V3 already has liquid cooling so it likely has more to do with upping amperage than voltage. Notice the same ampacity applies up to and including 2000V for a given wire size.
1696993356813.png

With electricity, it is about amperage. You can up the voltage on the same gauge wire and it still allows the same amperage. V3 already has liquid cooling so it likely has more to do with upping amperage than voltage. Notice the same ampacity applies up to and including 2000V for a given wire size.
You also need thicker insulation for higher voltages, which is what the poster you are replying to said. You’ve provided a table about current carrying capacity which is different.

Reactions: GhostSkater
You also need thicker insulation for higher voltages, which is what the poster you are replying to said. You’ve provided a table about current carrying capacity which is different.
Because the cables from the cabinets to the posts were increased from 350mcm to 600mcm. This implies more amperage. You do not increase conductor diameter to increase voltage. Yes you would for insulation on higher voltage depending on the wire. It looks like 600V is the common cutoff where insulation thickness increases so it would apply in this case if we were talking about non cooled conductors. Because they are liquid cooled, that would be the increased insulation. In fact, less insulation would make the liquid cooling more efficient. I am sure all three things play a factor here.

Because they are liquid cooled, that would be the increased insulation. In fact, less insulation would make the liquid cooling more efficient. I am sure all three things play a factor here.
The liquid cooled portion is just from the post to the vehicle. And they eliminated the insulation between the coolant and the cable for V4. (immersion cooled cables.)

But to support the eventual 1000v, I believe that they have to use different cable between the charge cabinets and the posts. So a V3 to 1000v V4 wouldn't be a simple upgrade.

At a minimum the NACS connector would have to be the 1000v version, which is easy to see.