Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger Windham Maine

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Supercharger going in at the Windham Hannaford.

Next to the charge points.

This wasn't on the maps when the fence went up last week.

Couldn't find an press releases.

Looks like an 8 stall from the length of construction.

Dropped pin

Attachments

• PXL_20221128_221324939.jpg
    PXL_20221128_221324939.jpg
    633.3 KB · Views: 444
  • Screenshot_20221128-171005.png
    Screenshot_20221128-171005.png
    318.6 KB · Views: 168
  • PXL_20221128_221321023.jpg
    PXL_20221128_221321023.jpg
    722.8 KB · Views: 165
Reactions: kayak1
I don't understand that placement, but good for them. And thanks for the recon work!

It's on US-302 near the Sebago Lake area. It's on the route from Portland, ME to North Conway, NH and further to the White Mountains.
It's a bit out of the way for US-202, but in reality not too far, and it's actually right on the fastest route if you were to travel across from Central/Eastern Maine to/from Sebago Lake, or further west through the Cornish area to Lake Winnepesaukee in New Hampshire..

So, I can see why people would want it, although I'm a bit surprised it's happening now. But I think that whoever is handling New England Superchargers is aggressively leveraging their partnership with Hannaford in Maine to reinforce their competitive advantage in a tourist destination state.

(I've charged my Kona at the Chargepoints there when driving across New Hampshire to/through White River Junction, VT.)

Last edited:
There have been some rumors about South Portland circulating for a while but no permits or other evidence has surfaced to date.
If there were a Maine service center a friend might have been/be interested in checking out Tesla. No chance otherwise.

Maine has the highest percentage of vacation homes in the USA. So Tesla's probably just putting in Superchargers to serve all of the visiting Mass...achusettsans.

Personally, I think the Gray Hannaford would have been a better place. Gray is right on the way to the ski mountains, also in close proximity to Sebago Lake. However, any supercharger in Maine is a good thing and I'm happy to see it.

Yes, although the three largest ski resorts are served by the Bethel and Farmington Superchargers. I think they wanted US-302.

Personally, I think the Gray Hannaford would have been a better place. Gray is right on the way to the ski mountains, also in close proximity to Sebago Lake. However, any supercharger in Maine is a good thing and I'm happy to see it.

Yeah, this would be awesome as it’s right along my daily commute. I also think the service plazas in Gray/New Gloucester would be excellent spots, but I’m sure it’s a bit more of a process with the state to get them installed there.

Yeah, this would be awesome as it’s right along my daily commute. I also think the service plazas in Gray/New Gloucester would be excellent spots, but I’m sure it’s a bit more of a process with the state to get them installed there.

I think it'd probably be working with the MTA (Maine Turnpike Authority). Tesla has Kennebunk N and S so I doubt it's that big a deal. There are also Chargepoints there and at the West Gardiner Service Plaza, and 2 more were recently added to each location.

I doubt they'd be interested in the Cumberland/Gray service plazas. Turnpike traffic only and relatively low volume. Likely only used by people heading somewhere off that section. GPS routes travelers onto I-295 because it's faster, and it's shorter and cheaper as well.

Much better to have a location off the Turnpike, but close to exits. Gray Hannaford would have been better for that. It's 70 miles from Falmouth (construction) to Farmington so really only one more needed to fill the hole.

I think it'd probably be working with the MTA (Maine Turnpike Authority). Tesla has Kennebunk N and S so I doubt it's that big a deal. There are also Chargepoints there and at the West Gardiner Service Plaza, and 2 more were recently added to each location.

I doubt they'd be interested in the Cumberland/Gray service plazas. Turnpike traffic only and relatively low volume. Likely only used by people heading somewhere off that section. GPS routes travelers onto I-295 because it's faster, and it's shorter and cheaper as well.

Much better to have a location off the Turnpike, but close to exits. Gray Hannaford would have been better for that. It's 70 miles from Falmouth (construction) to Farmington so really only one more needed to fill the hole.
That’s fair. I see so many Tesla’s in that stretch of I-95 is all, but the Gray Hannaford would be nice (minus the added toll for some of getting on/off the interstate).

They should really look into the Topsham Hannaford and somewhere in the Lewiston/Auburn area next. I know it’s not the safest or most glamorous area, but L/A is really lacking for Tesla owners besides Freeport, which isn’t that convenient.

• Love
Windham, ME

Host Type: Grocery Store
Host: Hannaford
Along Primary Interstates: None
Along US Numbered Highways (<=5mi): US-202, US-302
Along Auxiliary Interstates: None

US-202

To: Augusta, ME (v2) - 59.8 miles
Diversion: 5.8 miles
To: End (US-2 Bangor, ME) - 125 miles

US-302

To: Falmouth, ME - 15 miles (Construction)
Diversion: 1.6 miles
To: Portland, ME (v2) - 16.2 miles

Another Maine Hannaford Supercharger.

I took a couple photos on the 17th I forgot to post.
Looks like Stalls to cabinet are hooked up mechanically.
Cables have been pulled from the cabinets to the transformer pad.
Looks like they're just waiting for the transformer to be delivered.

I'll check in this weekend how they're doing.

We got slammed with two snowstorms this week so it will probably have to wait till after everything is dug out.

Attachments

• PXL_20230117_221343149.jpg
    PXL_20230117_221343149.jpg
    632 KB · Views: 57
  • PXL_20230117_221355359.jpg
    PXL_20230117_221355359.jpg
    719.1 KB · Views: 54
  • Informative
Reactions: kayak1 and Tdreamer
Thanks for the update.

With the secondaries run from the supercharger switchgear to the transformer pad, it seems likely all electrical work is done. Still missing (from the 17th photos) are signs on the sign posts, bollard covers on those posts around the transformer pad and charging posts - all finish work. They probably also need to seal & stripe the lot too. Not sure if there are any issues getting power from the pole to the transformer pad itself - not something done before a transformer is in place.

Some or all of that work might already be done at this point too. Optimistic for a quick finish, and perhaps commissioning at the same time as Saco.