Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Whitecourt AB

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From a post by Adam Gates on Electric Vehicle Association of Alberta (EVAA) Facebook group, construction has started in Whitecourt AB.

He asked the town administration and it is apparently an 8 stall Tesla Supercharger estimated to be completed by the end of December.

This is at 4223 52 Avenue, Whitecourt AB

Note that this is NOT on Tesla's Supercharger site yet.

The photo is inconclusive at this time but plausible, however still too early for a pin just yet. He lives locally so will update as construction proceeds.

Attachments

• whitecourt.jpg
    whitecourt.jpg
    326.3 KB · Views: 179
Reactions: PStewart
From a post by Adam Gates on Electric Vehicle Association of Alberta (EVAA) Facebook group, construction has started in Whitecourt AB.

He asked the town administration and it is apparently an 8 stall Tesla Supercharger estimated to be completed by the end of December.

This is at 4223 52 Avenue, Whitecourt AB

Note that this is NOT on Tesla's Supercharger site yet.

The photo is inconclusive at this time but plausible, however still too early for a pin just yet. He lives locally so will update as construction proceeds.
Looks like you need to make a thread.

Moderator note: This post was merged from a different thread.

It appears that an 8-stall Supercharger might be coming to Whitecourt, AB. We have pictures of construction and indirect affirmation that this will be a Tesla site. I'm going to go ahead and start this thread but hold off on adding it to supercharge.info until we have conclusive evidence of this being a Supercharger.

@Xelloss99 please feel free to post any information you have from the other thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: PStewart and Mayoo
Chicken dinner. I was going to make a joke about Canada being Swiss Chalet territory, but now I'm just hungry and can't come up with anything funny.

Sigh. The last of the Swiss Chalets in the Vancouver area closed their doors forever a year or two ago. Not that I had it that often, but I miss it. Back when I was a kid in Ontario, I used to love St. Huberts, but I don't think they ever made it out west. Nor, for that matter, do I know if I'd still like their food or not.

But we digress.

If you decide to do an Prairie road trip next summer to visit Whitecourt and all the other new Superchargers, there is apparently one right across the street from the 130 Ave Calgary supercharger. Just like that, we're vaguely back on topic.

Looks like the site will have a medium size switchgear cabinet like Valleyview. Hopefully someone can get a better picture of the conduit layout, as now I'm really curious if Tesla has decided that v3 cabinets are now reliable enough to be deployed without a pair, or if there is additional conduit being stubbed underground for future expansion (be it Flo or another cabinet with magicdock stalls).

Reactions: PStewart
Update from Donald Robertson on November 11 on Electric Vehicle Association of Alberta and Tesla Owners Alberta Facebook groups:

"Picture from yesterday in Whitecourt. Looks completed other than pavement. In a good location with Subway, Original Joes, Tim Hortons and Walmart in same parking lot."

It's a 4 stall V3 Supercharger, with no Magic Dock (at least not yet).

There's a brown box off to the side, maybe a transformer in a protective crate? Not 100% sure.
whitecourtsupercharger.jpg

Looks like the site will have a medium size switchgear cabinet like Valleyview. Hopefully someone can get a better picture of the conduit layout, as now I'm really curious if Tesla has decided that v3 cabinets are now reliable enough to be deployed without a pair, or if there is additional conduit being stubbed underground for future expansion (be it Flo or another cabinet with magicdock stalls).
Traffic in these areas is probably too small to warrant more than 4 stalls.

Below is from the Alberta Traffic Volume Annual Average Daily Traffic counts, which counts daily 2-way traffic volumes,

Highway 43 just South of Valleyview had 3560 vehicles daily in 2022, with a max of 7400 in 2013.

Whitecourt seems to have more commuting with much higher counts near the town, but I counted through traffic on Highway 4 with the lowest point just east of Mayerthorpe, with counts of 4190 in 2022 and 8070 in 2017, and traffic on 32, North of Secondary 748, was 1000 in 2022, 1580 in 2017 (this may count Highway 16 eastbound drivers going North from Edson)

Milk River, the other 4 stall Supercharger in Alberta, had 1540 vehicles per day in 2022, max 2490 in 2014, counted on Highway 4 just South of Milk River. This route has a lot of transport semi traffic so is probably a lot less than that for passenger vehicles. This probably has higher importance because it is a link from Alberta (Highway 4) to Montana (US Interstate I15) and thus link to the I15 Superchargers.

Highway 3 on the Alberta border got about 5320 daily vehicles in 2022, which was the highest in the sheet (starts 2013). The BC Superchargers on Highway 3 have 6 stalls.

Any idea when/if GP will have a Supercharger location?
It's a fair assumption that this is being built for Alaska bound travelers from the east coast. None of the gaps between population centers are ideal, but GP seems like the best option. It would be nice if there were food options on the north side, but the shopping center where hwy 43 turns west again seems like the obvious choice if Tesla can find a host. 200km to the south side of FSJ isn't bad, but would be tough for SR+ vehicles in the winter; Dawson Creek has a decent amount of L2 options if needed.

Very much looking forward to being able to confidently drive from St. Albert to Beaverlodge! Charging infrastructure still
relatively undeveloped in GP.
Any idea when/if GP will have a Supercharger location?
Gp doesn't have any planned yet, but I'm currently there and there is a free 6kw/32amp charger at the AMA. Its slow but better than a regular socket :(. Also some places have plugs for block heaters that you can plug in to, at least two hotels I was at did.

Hi,
Any news on the opening dates of either Valleyview or Whitecourt? Perhaps they are open and I am misinformed.
Thanks for your help.
Keep checking the phone app, in-car navigation and the Tesla Find-Us map online. Those are the best sources, particularly for sites without much Tesla traffic in the area. Anyone following this forum will usually be very quick to post new information. I'm not sure that anyone has confirmed whether the meter and transformer are in place. That equipment is a good sign, particularly if there is power to the meter.