Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Superchargers in Northern California (location speculation)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Was at the Rocklin SC yesterday picking up cargo mats for my new MS :smile:, which they were holding for me. Spoke with some of the staff regarding a supercharger in Roseville and was told that Tesla is trying to get a SuperCharger in to The Galleria Shopping Center there (ideal location, 5 mins off I-80, lots of activities nearby) but that the shopping center is near maxed out on electricity to their site and they're reluctant to bring additional electricity to the area to support a Tesla Supercharger site. Maybe it's a fight over who pays and how much disruption, ripping up roads, etc., new power lines will bring.

Tesla is now considering putting a Supercharger at or near their Service Center in Rocklin. Also right off I-80 (about a mile from the Sierra College Boulevard exit, visible from I-80), but not much to do nearby. However, there are a Target, Walmart and a Cineplex up or going up soon within walking distance, so there may soon be something to do. Was told that the area has much more electrical capacity than needed for the foreseeable future, so assuming permitting is easier near the Service Center, I suspect a Supercharger in Rocklin is going to happen before anything at the Roseville Galleria.

I heard the debate between those two locations 3 or 4 months ago, but more recently, the guy in charge of the roll out of the vacaville location mentioned a specific spot in the galleria parking lot that one was going. The way he said it (with a lot of details, including some future businesses going in there) and the fact he is directly involved with local sc rollout, has me still leaning towards the galleria.

that said, I checked the parking lot the other day and saw no evidence.

Took this pic of the Vacaville SC on New years day. When we pulled up another MS pulled up just ahead of us. We made 4 there. Before I could get out and take the pic two more showed up leaving only 2 spaces open!
egusyry8.jpg

I am hearing Truckee is now on Teslas radar. It would make sense for getting that last charge before heading over the mountains, since you never know how that will go. Also people staying around the north shore of Tahoe could charge up quickly there. The question is where? The Safeway parking lot is way too crowded. I am thinking the shopping center on Deerfield and 89. Always plenty of parking...plus a Subway, Bills Rotisserie, Village Pizzeria, and McD across the street. Could also be near 267 and 80 but I don't know what location in that area would make sense. any guesses??

Would love a supercharger in Truckee. It's a bit of a stretch from Vacaville to Truckee for my 60 but, if I want to venture out to Reno from there, it gets rather hairy. When visiting the ski resorts near I-80, a Truckee SpC will alleviate concerns around finding local charging options.

Would love a supercharger in Truckee. It's a bit of a stretch from Vacaville to Truckee for my 60 but, if I want to venture out to Reno from there, it gets rather hairy. When visiting the ski resorts near I-80, a Truckee SpC will alleviate concerns around finding local charging options.

When the Roseville Supercharger comes online, I would think you could bypass Vacaville and get a full charge at Roseville, and you wanted to head down the hill to Reno, it should be a piece of cake since it's virtually downhill all the way from Truckee.

It is a little out of the way but why not charge at the Folsom SC? That's where I have before when heading up to Chico.

It is a little out of the way but why not charge at the Folsom SC? That's where I have before when heading up to Chico.

Right, Folsom was the only option before Vaca came along. It works but, is out of the way as you said. Another option is to get a little extra juice - at a slower pace thanks to my single charger :( - at the Auburn ClipperCreek high-amp stations.

Thanks for getting us back to the I-5 corridor and trying to put together this last piece. Its too far from Harris Ranch to Folsom, out of the way from I-5 to Vacaville -- only if going to bay area. Hands down WANT the Manteca SC for drive border to border "Electric Highway" - I-5.

Anyone hear anything about a SC in the Manteca area? I have pinged Tesla about my interest in this location as I know have others.

I drove off at every offramp on the 120 and on I-5 searching yesterday 3/17/14, and did not see any evidence of anything getting installed. It could be at one of the couple 99 offramps I did not check, but really the exits on the 120 are the best location to serve both 99 and 5, as well as have the best amenities.

I drove off at every offramp on the 120 and on I-5 searching yesterday 3/17/14, and did not see any evidence of anything getting installed. It could be at one of the couple 99 offramps I did not check, but really the exits on the 120 are the best location to serve both 99 and 5, as well as have the best amenities.

Thanks for checking. The shopping center at the NW corner of 120 and Airport looks like a good SC spot to me. But I don't know that area well. What locations look promising to you?

Thanks for checking. The shopping center at the NW corner of 120 and Airport looks like a good SC spot to me. But I don't know that area well. What locations look promising to you?

Yes, the shopping center at 120 and airport has about 10 good locations that already have huge transformers and some empty pads. The area near the McDonalds to the east of there is also a good site with power ready to go. The shopping center on Union and 120 with BassPro is also a good location, though not as promising as the airport drive one.