Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Superchargers in VA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just heard that the South Hill Supercharger contract is out for bid...

Wait a second... seems like you just gave more insight into this whole process than I expected or knew... back up to the "Contract is out for bid" part there.

Does this mean that Tesla goes to a city, like South Hill, and just says, "Hey, we want to install our superchargers in this city... whoever wants positive press and traffic generation from our clientele should make us an offer"

Then they are basically telling Tesla, "hey come here, we will give you as many parking spots you want and won't charge you a dime for the property, on top of that, we will foot half of your electric bill for 5 years!"
second offer: "Oh yeah? Well how about we give you the same offer, only we also throw in free cake, Everyone loves cake!"

I mean, I figured Tesla was getting a pretty great deal on their locations, but this seems even better to me than I originally thought.

Apparently my attempt to be a bit vague has backfired on me. Yes, there are multiple subcontractors that are needed to do a Supercharger installation and I know that Tesla is soliciting bids for some of that work.

After speaking with the South Hill town manager, I now know that the town has approved the plans and is waiting for Tesla and/or its contractors to apply for the necessary permits. The location is:

Kahill's Restaurant & Bar
1791 N Mecklenburg Ave
South Hill, VA 23970

I hesitate a bit to post this only because construction has not yet actually started. Again, we are still waiting for Tesla to settle on subcontractors, and then apply for the permits, and only after those permits are granted is it free for the contractors to start construction. It might yet be a while before that point, or it could be next week. It is also possible that something goes wrong and this site has to be changed.

Interestingly enough, it is not amongst the main drags along exit 12. Instead, it is near the Love's Travel Plaza off exit 15.

Last edited:
Well way to make that less interesting. Oh well. Is this really all that needed? I made that trip just recently with ease. I don't see it being all that hard to make with a 60 either. That was one trip area I was commenting in a group about how pleased I was to have been going the speed limit and running the AC and yet I was still getting right at the rated range. Have other people been having trouble passing through south hill that they need the stop?

Well way to make that less interesting. Oh well. Is this really all that needed? I made that trip just recently with ease. I don't see it being all that hard to make with a 60 either. That was one trip area I was commenting in a group about how pleased I was to have been going the speed limit and running the AC and yet I was still getting right at the rated range. Have other people been having trouble passing through south hill that they need the stop?

Well, it is 200 miles between Glen Allen and Burlington. That's pretty much at the limit for a 60 kWh battery pack in the summer. In an 85, in the summer, it's an easy trip as long as you almost range charge if you plan on going 75+mph. As it gets colder, on the other hand, this jump gets difficult.

Well, it is 200 miles between Glen Allen and Burlington. That's pretty much at the limit for a 60 kWh battery pack in the summer. In an 85, in the summer, it's an easy trip as long as you almost range charge if you plan on going 75+mph. As it gets colder, on the other hand, this jump gets difficult.

Oh that's right, for some reason I thought it was a slightly shorter distance than that. Guess I wasn't paying attention.

I contacted Tesla several months ago and suggested a couple of locations for superchargers along I-81 (near I-64 interchange and near I-77 interchange). The more suggestions they receive, the more likely we are to see a SC somewhere along I-81. Perhaps 2016??

We can hope.

I'm still thinking that we should have a Supercharger near Wytheville, somewhere someone going north/south from I-77 can use it as well as someone just on I-81. For example, at the I-81/52 interchange. Then it's 120 miles to Lexington, VA. Lexington is interesting because that's also the jumping off point for I-64 west. Then it's about 115 miles to Strasburg, VA. Strasburg is interesting because it hooks up to I-66 towards D.C. Then it's 62 miles to Hagerstown.

The only problem with that scenario is if you are coming from the Glen Allen Supercharger. It's 103 miles to Staunton. It's a reach to get to Strasburg going I-64 west and the up I-81. At least Harrisonburg is reasonable. Lexington, VA is reachable at 134 miles. However, if one is going to Snowshoe Mountain, it's 208 miles... a stretch considering the terrain and the weather. I would still like to see something in Staunton, but I don't know of any good locations. Maybe a good answer is to stick something along I-64 near Waynesboro, which is only 90 miles from Glen Allen.

i81Superchargers.png

BTW, the Wytheville-ish location is 125 miles from Burlington Supercharger, and 127 miles from the Charlotte Supercharger.

Got this note back today:

Hello Steve:
I just wanted to send you a quick note and let you know that your suggestion reached my ears. Connection I-81 is one of my top priorities for 2015 and I hope to see things moving by spring/summer. Thank you for being a part of this great adventure!

<NAME REDACTED> |
Project Developer, Supercharger Deployment, SE USA
3500 Deer Creek Rd. | Palo Alto, CA 94304
m <NUMBER REDACTED> | e <EMAIL REDACTED>

This is great news. Will fill an important gap. I have just recently made it from home in Charleston, WV to Burlington, NC (262 mi) on a single charge but had to drive pretty slow most of the way. 55-60mph. This will allow highway speed travel through some terrain that is really brutal on this cars range. Hope they follow through on building that route as stated