Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharging at 386 mph! Anyone seen faster?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The fastest charging I have noticed so far in my car is 386 mph at Tejon Ranch in CA. My car has SW ver 5.6. Has anyone seen any faster rates? Sorry for the blurry cam photo.

photo.JPG

I got 388 when I started charging in slot 1A of an otherwise empty Tejon Ranch SC tonight. By time I grabbed the iPhone to snap a picture it'd dropped to 386, then 385 then 384 etc. We pulled in having crossed Hwy 58 from the Atascadero SC.

I got 388 when I started charging in slot 1A of an otherwise empty Tejon Ranch SC tonight. By time I grabbed the iPhone to snap a picture it'd dropped to 386, then 385 then 384 etc. We pulled in having crossed Hwy 58 from the Atascadero SC.

A few things to remember:
  1. The mph displayed is the average charge rate for the session.
  2. The present power being consumed is Volts x Amps. In the case above, it is 305 Amps x 370 Volts = 112.85 kW. Very nice!!
  3. Pick your number for "Rated" W-hr/mi, I use 308. 112.85 kW/308 W-hr/mi = 366 mph.
  4. The taper starts very soon, and you will see the highest rates of charge at the lowest states of charge. Note the one above started at 30 miles rated range left.
  5. Happy Supercharging!

[*]The mph displayed is the average charge rate for the session.

This is a confirmed fact?

Going from memory, I'm pretty sure I've seen very low numbers at the end of a range charge, like 30 mi/hr. This would be around the 1 hour mark, implying that I put in 30 miles over that 1 hour? No way I averaged out to charging at NEMA 14-50 rates over the course of that session.

This is a confirmed fact?

Going from memory, I'm pretty sure I've seen very low numbers at the end of a range charge, like 30 mi/hr. This would be around the 1 hour mark, implying that I put in 30 miles over that 1 hour? No way I averaged out to charging at NEMA 14-50 rates over the course of that session.

I think it might be some rolling average. (At least on 4.5, which I'm still stuck with.) It's something in between the average of the whole session and the instantaneous rate. Basically useless in my opinion. The current and voltage readings are essentially instantaneous, though.

I think it might be some rolling average. (At least on 4.5, which I'm still stuck with.) It's something in between the average of the whole session and the instantaneous rate. Basically useless in my opinion. The current and voltage readings are essentially instantaneous, though.

I have not confirmed with 5.6, but with 4.5, it was the average of the session, on the dot. I will confirm with 5.6 when I hit a supercharger again in early December.

This is true. There's nothing quite like the feeling of driving your MS along the ocean coast with the windows down and sunroof open on a beautiful day! Hey, it's mid-November and it's 80 degrees and sunny out--lets take the S out for a circle-island spin! :cool:

...but don't forget to charge first--there's no Superchargers anywhere on the island. On the bright side, there's 150+ level 2 chargers all over the place.