Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharging cost in app or website?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there any way to see Supercharging fees besides in the vehicle? You can look them up on the app or on the website, but neither has published cost/kilowatt. It seems so silly to only be able to access this while sitting in the car. Does anyone know a source for this outside the vehicle?
TeslaFi gives information about all home and away charges including Superchargers.
Here is a screen grab that shows how supercharger information is presented.

1663173037981.png

Upvote 0
I've been looking at creating an app to do that. Just need to find the time…but I might just do it soon.
It’d be nice. Right now SC’s rates are fixed by kW-hr, are at certain rates per minute that are in tiers by power level, and (more recently) vary over a 2:1 range based on time of day. New ones that aren’t heavily used get lower rates than the ones that are stacked up like airports the day before Thanksgiving.

None of the costs are that exorbitant, at least to my eye, but my natural inclination would be to go to the cheaper ones given half a chance. And planning for the trip would be easier with an app so one could do it all before one left, or for a passenger when the driver is busy, well, driving.

Wonder if Tesla has some kind of lock on the data, though? Funny that nobody else has done this over the years that SCs have been around.

Upvote 0
TeslaFi gives information about all home and away charges including Superchargers.
Here is a screen grab that shows how supercharger information is presented.

View attachment 852444
Nice-but that gives only the total after a charge. It’s the $.26/kW-hr between 9 p.m. and noon the following day, and $.54/kW-hr between noon and 9 p.m. that I’d like to know about.

Reactions: ope_sorry
Upvote 0
It’d be nice. Right now SC’s rates are fixed by kW-hr, are at certain rates per minute that are in tiers by power level, and (more recently) vary over a 2:1 range based on time of day. New ones that aren’t heavily used get lower rates than the ones that are stacked up like airports the day before Thanksgiving.

None of the costs are that exorbitant, at least to my eye, but my natural inclination would be to go to the cheaper ones given half a chance. And planning for the trip would be easier with an app so one could do it all before one left, or for a passenger when the driver is busy, well, driving.

Wonder if Tesla has some kind of lock on the data, though? Funny that nobody else has done this over the years that SCs have been around.
Some states do not permit the sale of electricity unless you are a electric utility. In those states, Tesla gets around the restriction by selling you a charging service at a cost per minute. That rate increases with higher charging rates to approximate the cost of electricity.

It's silly, of course, but until those states revise their laws, that's what Tesla (and other EV chargers) must do.

• Informative
Reactions: n.one.one
Upvote 0
Nice-but that gives only the total after a charge. It’s the $.26/kW-hr between 9 p.m. and noon the following day, and $.54/kW-hr between noon and 9 p.m. that I’d like to know about.
100%- I am planning a road trip and knowing when the peak times start could help some of the planning. Also, I am generally curious how different regions of the country compare. It just seems like it would be easy to get the same data that shows in in the vehicle to also show on the website and app.

Upvote 0
100%- I am planning a road trip and knowing when the peak times start could help some of the planning. Also, I am generally curious how different regions of the country compare. It just seems like it would be easy to get the same data that shows in in the vehicle to also show on the website and app.
It used to be on the Tesla website (on the Supercharger map), but it was taken away at some point in the last year or so.

Upvote 0
I'm not sure about what follows, so take this with a grain of salt.

Sit in the car. Fire up NAV. Put NAV in a random location somewhere in the 'States with the little lightning bolt active, so one can see the Superchargers. Tap one's finger on one of the SC locations on the actual map screen. A little window pops up: On that window, the charges for that supercharger are listed. Time of day, or power levels and per minute charges, or fixed number if it's that, and even some mention of how much one gets charged if the car's charged and the car's just parked there.

I know for a fact that the above works locally around where one is parked at the moment; I'm pretty sure (not near the car right now) that if I center the NAV on, say, Chicago, I can get the prices for those Superchargers in and around the Windy City.

For an app, getting to that database of costs, which is definitely sourced by Tesla, is the key. That cost data is very much not on Tesla's web site.. although it darn well should be. How to get at it: No idea. Some kind of connection to a car's API? Don't know. Is Tesla keeping this some kind of deep, dark secret for some reason, or what?

Upvote 0
Some states do not permit the sale of electricity unless you are a electric utility. In those states, Tesla gets around the restriction by selling you a charging service at a cost per minute. That rate increases with higher charging rates to approximate the cost of electricity.

It's silly, of course, but until those states revise their laws, that's what Tesla (and other EV chargers) must do.
No problem with any of that. Used to be like that in NJ, then they allowed per-kW-hr rates, instead. And, I don't care: If it's power level vs. per-minute times, publish that. Whatever the costs are, we consumers want to see them.

Upvote 0
No problem with any of that. Used to be like that in NJ, then they allowed per-kW-hr rates, instead. And, I don't care: If it's power level vs. per-minute times, publish that. Whatever the costs are, we consumers want to see them.
abetterrouteplanner will give you cost and KWhr estimates for a supercharger that is part of a route plan. ABRP allows you to set the departure time and has an estimate of the arrival time at the supercharger. Unfortunately, they don't present a rate schedule. You can estimate the cost per KWhr from the totals and play with your start time to see if they take arrival time into account.

No idea how up-to-date their rate data is, so YMMV. Not exactly what you are looking for, but it's better than nothing.

plugshare has support for cost data, but the supercharger sites I looked at all have no cost info displayed.

Upvote 0

The problem is that the data is private to Tesla. So to do it we have to in a crowdsourcing way, but that method has to be super easy or gamified way to capture that info.

Upvote 0
The problem is that the data is private to Tesla. So to do it we have to in a crowdsourcing way, but that method has to be super easy or gamified way to capture that info.
No argument with the statement. But.. If we're trying to make it easier for Tesla owners (or potential Tesla customers) to get to the numbers so they can figure out the cheaper SC.. which is how Tesla is actually trying to move customers to underutilized SCs, one can see that Tesla would be helped if the information was, say, more public.

I have to wonder: Has anybody actually asked Tesla if this information could be accessed? And, if the answer was no, what was the reason?

Upvote 0
The data is not very private when the car shows it to you and Tesla includes an itemizes bill. But, that doesn't mean that Tesla makes it available in a publicly accessible API.

ABRP gets charging cost data from someplace.

Upvote 0
The data is not very private when the car shows it to you and Tesla includes an itemizes bill. But, that doesn't mean that Tesla makes it available in a publicly accessible API.

ABRP gets charging cost data from someplace.

It’s private in that it’s a private API and we don’t know what that is. That’s the definition of private. ABRP charging cost data is old and not correct 99% of the time in my actual road trip experiences using ABRP quite a lot. ABRP does not use Tesla’s charging cost APIs.

Upvote 0
It’s private in that it’s a private API and we don’t know what that is. That’s the definition of private. ABRP charging cost data is old and not correct 99% of the time in my actual road trip experiences using ABRP quite a lot. ABRP does not use Tesla’s charging cost APIs.
The API may be private, but the supercharger price structure is not. In theory, you could provide an app with supercharger price data simply by hiring a bunch of people to sit in Teslas and record the cost data for all the superchargers every day.

Upvote 0