Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharging current session $0.00

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone else had it where it wont update? If I go supercharge again it will show me the last session price for a bit, and then switches over to $0.00 for current session and it just stays at 0 the whole time. Started after an update I believe... I tried the 2 button reset, any other reset or solution I can try before putting in a ticket?

It was working where it would actively show the price of the current charging session prior to this happening about 3 weeks ago.

The first rule of "unexpected, unintended, free Supercharging" is: don't mention the unexpected, unintended, free Supercharging session or otherwise you might jinx the future.

For me, I've had sessions that were not recorded on my Tesla account or credit card, discounts (by one or more increments of the cents/kWh that the station was supposed to bill me) and normal sessions where the cost was what was indicated. I'd say enjoy the freebie but don't expect it to last forever.

The first rule of "unexpected, unintended, free Supercharging" is: don't mention the unexpected, unintended, free Supercharging session or otherwise you might jinx the future.

For me, I've had sessions that were not recorded on my Tesla account or credit card, discounts (by one or more increments of the cents/kWh that the station was supposed to bill me) and normal sessions where the cost was what was indicated. I'd say enjoy the freebie but don't expect it to last forever.
Yeah but it still charges. This is for tiered charging, but it was all showing up when I first got the car. Must have been with the new pay scale upgrade. It still bills the card once charging is complete and lately the prices have gone through the roof so it would be nice to be able to see on screen how much the current cost was, as it was previously. Hopefully they fix this, I will put in a ticket with Tesla. I also noticed I went to a supercharger and I maxed out at 59kw the entire session which should all have been under the first tier, but when I left I was incorrectly billed so there is definitely some BS currently going on with charging tiers and pricing.

Does this particular supercharger use tiered pricing? I noticed that flat rate supercharger will show an incrementing amount while charging, but tiered rate superchargers just show $0.00 and then a price appears under account-->charging-->history in the app afterwards.
That is correct! Tiered charging is pure rip off by Electric Companies! It makes EV charging as expensive as gas cars!

This just happened to me today. I'm newer to Tesla so I wasn't sure. Fee on the screen said $0.00 for the whole charge. Then got home and checked my account and see I was charged. I would have unplugged earlier had I know it was going to be 3× my cost at home.

This just happened to me today. I'm newer to Tesla so I wasn't sure. Fee on the screen said $0.00 for the whole charge. Then got home and checked my account and see I was charged. I would have unplugged earlier had I know it was going to be 3× my cost at home.
yeah it sucks , they broke the current sessions after they did the new charging tier updates.. which is when we could use it the most, hopefully the new update my car just got fixes it and i will try it later today

i have learned to monitor my khw and when it drops to about 40 or below it is not worth the price anymore , charge up to like 70 or 80 and then leave for the best price IMO

In my very limited experience with tiered pricing superchargers, it really wasn't that much more than flat rate supercharging. I paid 29 cents per kWh (flat rate) in Alabama, 33 cents per kWH in Mississippi (tiered $ total / kwh added), and 31 cents per kWh in Louisiana (tiered $ total / kWh added).

However, since tiers are charged in minutes, @sbizzle is correct, it's not worth it to sit there and get a higher SoC than you need to safely get to the next supercharger. This could be by design. Just as Tesla charges an "idle fee" for sitting in the stall after charging has completed, this pricing structure could be designed to a negative incentive for those that take more time to charge than Tesla deems necessary to continue your trip.

I would have unplugged earlier had I know it was going to be 3× my cost at home.
Supercharging is convenience priced, and is always much more expensive than home charging (unless you were lucky enough to have bought a Tesla when they included free lifetime supercharging).

Supercharging is convenience priced, and is always much more expensive than home charging (unless you were lucky enough to have bought a Tesla when they included free lifetime supercharging).
Or unlucky enough to live in California where our electricity rates can be almost as much, or more, than Supercharging. My current PG&Ê E-6 rates are $0.250 (part-peak) / $0.233 (off peak) for baseline usage and $0.326 / $0.309 for over baseline. Supercharging near me is $0.24/kWh so it's cheaper for me to go there instead of charging at home.

In my very limited experience with tiered pricing superchargers, it really wasn't that much more than flat rate supercharging. I paid 29 cents per kWh (flat rate) in Alabama, 33 cents per kWH in Mississippi (tiered $ total / kwh added), and 31 cents per kWh in Louisiana (tiered $ total / kWh added).

However, since tiers are charged in minutes, @sbizzle is correct, it's not worth it to sit there and get a higher SoC than you need to safely get to the next supercharger. This could be by design. Just as Tesla charges an "idle fee" for sitting in the stall after charging has completed, this pricing structure could be designed to a negative incentive for those that take more time to charge than Tesla deems necessary to continue your trip.

Thanks for the info. I'm still a newbie (6months with my MY) so I have a little bit of range anxiety, especially in the mountains in Colorado where the swings in percentage (up and down) can be huge for a single drive. So I wanted to top off a bit extra. It ended up being 39cents kWh.

My biggest gripe was the $0.00 showing the whole time. I knew my referral miles had expired a couple weeks ago, but I thought I was getting lucky with a free charge, so I stayed extra. I wish the current session would have shown at least some fee/charge so I would have known.

Thanks for the tips.

Lol found this thread because it happened to me today. My referred free Supercharging expired two weeks ago. Today was my first time SC and it showed $0. Even after, it stayed $0, but my Cc was charged the correct amount after. Bummer.