Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharging Disabled while on trip [Resolved]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

talkingevs

GO AVS! 2022 CHAMPS!
Jan 28, 2018
Las Vegas, NV
We took a trip to Phoenix for the weekend and while unplugging from a supercharger in Wickenburg, a message immediately popped up stating supercharger diasbled and to add payment method. We had already charged at one other earlier with no issues. We continued to Phoenix thinking it would disappear and it did not. Now we can't charge in phoenix. Tried to change our credit card and it didn't go away. Tried power off and reset and still there. Tried calling tesla and they aren't in on weekends. Called roadside assistance and they approved a one time charge through a supervisor but the message is still there. They said you prolly have unpaid charges but when they go in, said we don't. Anyone else have this and how did you fix!?

Reactions: TLLMRRJ
Seriously Try again
Go to tesla.com and log in with your account information you used to order the tesla (website! not the tesla app)
put in CC details (is it authorized on both ends? -call your CC company check with Tesla site)
Pay up or papa musk will hunt your dreams
proceed the use SC as usual

worst case scenario look for free lvl 2 chargers - it's going to suck

Last edited:
Reactions: smartypnz
This happened to me three months back. Called my credit card company to see if they rejected a charge and they said it was not a problem on their end. I followed links from Tesla (in email, I think) and just had to click something that said they had permission to charge my standard card again.

Sorry to be so vague, but with a bit of clicking on my laptop and tapping on my phone I was able to get back in business before we reached our next charger.

No issues with credit card side and tesla said nothing seen on their side. How did you get the authorization email again from tesla? I just got on a laptop and updated the credit card to see if that would help but nothing still. We might have to wait til Monday when actual tesla support is open..... And driving home on level 2 chargers would take like 24 hours

I had that happen several times while on my route 66 trip 2 months ago. It was associated with the big server outage they had. First time was the day of the outage, but it resolved itself after doing an update and waiting for an hour at a supercharger. Many tweets at elon, emails, and phone calls to every tesla number I could find were involved. It came back the next day, but went away in an hour or two. ALso happened at least once or twice more. All of these times I would try and fix it on the website - the first day nothing worked, the website was unresponsive. The next times I removed my existing card and re-added it back - that seemed to fix things.

• Helpful
Reactions: jjrandorin
I tried plugging in with resets and it worked for about 6mi but then stopped again. I guess could do that over and over 60 times lol.

I had a software update come across today which I am currently installing using my mobile hotspot. Hoping that fixes it

Man this sort of thing scares me. Have you used Supercharging prior to this trip?
Yes many times no issues. Our hotel we are at tonight has EV chargers so hopefully we can too off here before we leave Tuesday and then will have to find a level 2 charger somewhere along the way home to refill.

Of all the issues I thought we'd have with an EV, this was not one.

I would keep calling into emergency assistance as needed during the trip. If this is out of your control and a bug on the Tesla side they should help. Just be sure to clearly explain the problem and ask the Tesla support to clearly log the issue.

Last edited:
I had this issue on a coast-to-coast trip. Credit card company thought fraud with so may charges away from home. Switched cards on Tesla site and issue fixed. Eventually got original credit card company to recognize no fraud (you could draw a line on charging stops across the country) and was able to put original card back on Tesla. The card switch I did on the Tesla site.

I've tried switching cards and same issue. Chase says nothing on their end. It's on Tesla's end but they say they don't see anything either. It's times like these I wish there was a cash option to charge in case of a internet crash or something

I've tried switching cards and same issue. Chase says nothing on their end. It's on Tesla's end but they say they don't see anything either. It's times like these I wish there was a cash option to charge in case of a internet crash or something

When you get ahold of them on monday and figure out what this is, please come back and let us all know what it ended up being.

I would drive to the next supercharger and just call roadside service again, and again, and again. They are responsible to make sure you get to your destination, provided you did your part with your credit card, etc.