Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharging Disabled while on trip [Resolved]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Reddit user NamBot3000 posted about his similar situation.
This sounds just like our issues. And tesla roadside did tell us that there were two model 3s showing on our account when we've only had one.....but why now all of a sudden are we having issues?

So if you have unlimited supercharging but you have not submitted a CC to your acct can or will they cut you off or is this just for the newer rides
You have to have a credit card no matter what. And I didn't think any model 3 had unlimited miles anymore

I've tried switching cards and same issue. Chase says nothing on their end. It's on Tesla's end but they say they don't see anything either. It's times like these I wish there was a cash option to charge in case of a internet crash or something
I don't think you're paying attention. The issue is likely unpaid charges. Go to the website and pay what's owing. Having a good credit card there isn't enough. Pay now. That's what worked for me after Tesla stole my referral miles and charged me instead.

I don't think you're paying attention. The issue is likely unpaid charges. Go to the website and pay what's owing. Having a good credit card there isn't enough. Pay now. That's what worked for me after Tesla stole my referral miles and charged me instead.
Yes I get what you're saying. I checked and so did tesla, there are no unpaid charges. In fact none of our supercharging sessions even show up since we left Saturday which makes me think even more that they added someone else's car to our account on accident.

• Informative
Reactions: jsmay311
After spending almost an hour on the phone this morning, still not resolved. Tesla support stated that they do show unpaid charges, they do show a second vehicle on our account, and don't know how to fix it at this time. They stated they have to send it to another department and should be fixed within 24 hours.

We have never had a 2nd tesla vehicle and never did anything with our credit card. So we are thinking at this time that they mixed our account up with someone else's and they can't figure out how to get the other person off our account now. They stated when we drive home we will have to call for approval to use superchargers each time if it isn't cleared up by then......we are not happy!

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin and 5150
They stated when we drive home we will have to call for approval to use superchargers each time if it isn't cleared up by then......we are not happy!
You 99% better off than when this thread started and you were contemplating L2 use to get home.

(moderator note: edited out offending comment rather than moving entire comment to snippiness thread)

Last edited by a moderator:
You 99% better off than when this thread started and you were contemplating L2 use to get home.

Maybe. Tesla's internal IT systems are terrible, and most employees will tell you anything to get you off the phone and out of their hair. We'll see if when he calls when he gets to the Super Charger if he'll really be able to charge with their approval. I would give it a 50/50 that will go smooth at every stop.

(mod note: edited out quoted offending comment)

(mod note, edited out quoted offending comment by another member)

@dano9258, I totally get where you are coming from. This adds a completely unnecessary level of anxiety to a trip, and is a huge inconvenience. It is not only very frustrating for a company to make such an error, it is worsened significantly by them being unable to remedy their screw-up in a timely fashion. A company with good customer service would bend over backwards to correct this error, and perhaps give you a few hundred miles of free supercharging to make it up to you for your inconvenience.

I recommend that you call Tesla about 10 minutes prior to arrival at your next charging station. If they answer early, keep them on the phone with you until charging starts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yup... happened to me on my 1st trip with our second Tesla (still had the 1st one). Several charger stops - same thing. After contacting Tesla, who couldn't figure it out but authorized that session, I just swapped credit cards on the account (back and forth). Each 'new' card gave me that one charging session at each subsequent location.
Upon arriving home, dealt with Tesla till fixed.
I'm guessing (at the time), their system couldn't handle same card on two Teslas.

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
This sounds just like our issues. And tesla roadside did tell us that there were two model 3s showing on our account when we've only had one.....but why now all of a sudden are we having issues?

You have to have a credit card no matter what. And I didn't think any model 3 had unlimited miles anymore
Why do you have to have a card on file. If you dont will they then automatically revoke your unlimited SC. I know its a strange question

Why do you have to have a card on file. If you dont will they then automatically revoke your unlimited SC. I know its a strange question

In a perfect world, it speeds up the process. Think 'gas station' where you have to take a minute or so just to get permission to attach the hose to your car. The Tesla knows it's you the moment you plug it in (that's inserting the gas pump nozzle where the gas cap was manually removed for ICE readers). And if the 'charge info' is already associated with your car, then no more action is necessary.

For ICE vehicle
1. Get permission to receive energy (pay or verify with card)
2. Remove Gas cap
3. Attach energy connector
4. Lock flow device or hold handle during fill process
5. When done...
6. Remove energy connector
7. Replace energy connector to it's original location
8. Replace Gas cap
9. Obtain receipt
10. Continue journey

If vehicle is a Tesla
Repeat above procedure but ignore steps 1, 2, 3, 8 and 9

After spending almost an hour on the phone this morning, still not resolved. Tesla support stated that they do show unpaid charges, they do show a second vehicle on our account, and don't know how to fix it at this time. They stated they have to send it to another department and should be fixed within 24 hours.

We have never had a 2nd tesla vehicle and never did anything with our credit card. So we are thinking at this time that they mixed our account up with someone else's and they can't figure out how to get the other person off our account now. They stated when we drive home we will have to call for approval to use superchargers each time if it isn't cleared up by then......we are not happy!
If you log into your Tesla account online can you see the other car?? I’m just curious as to how others might possibly head this off at the pass by periodically checking our accounts to make sure no ghost vehicles show up.

In a perfect world, it speeds up the process. Think 'gas station' where you have to take a minute or so just to get permission to attach the hose to your car. The Tesla knows it's you the moment you plug it in (that's inserting the gas pump nozzle where the gas cap was manually removed for ICE readers). And if the 'charge info' is already associated with your car, then no more action is necessary.

For ICE vehicle
1. Get permission to receive energy (pay or verify with card)
2. Remove Gas cap
3. Attach energy connector
4. Lock flow device or hold handle during fill process
5. When done...
6. Remove energy connector
7. Replace energy connector to it's original location
8. Replace Gas cap
9. Obtain receipt
10. Continue journey

If vehicle is a Tesla
Repeat above procedure but ignore steps 1, 2, 3, 8 and 9
Sounds good. I have unlimited SC put have not linked my card to it at all. I dont want to give them a reason to cancel my SC. But you are correct it just makes sense to do it. i may as well set up a plugshare one also for a J1772