Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharging - Elon's statement that Daily Supercharging Users are Receiving Notes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
AnxietyRanger said:
Of course in Europe it is even simpler, as not only does the UMC come with the car, the local equivalent of 240V outlet is basically every outlet on the continent - and depending a little on the country, many have them already outside of their houses or in parking lots too (although in practice some outlets might require lowering amps if they're for special purposes with "smaller" breakers). The basic 240V is of course not very high-amperage, I guess perhaps more akin to your hairdryer socket in capacity, so good for nightly charging at 12-13A... but it is still real charging, not a 110V trickle. Many houses and garages also readily have more industrial sockets, for which UMC has the appropriate swappable heads, that triple, quadruple that base charging speed.

These sockets that are prevalently available in Europe are not made for charging cars originally, but by happenstance the standard electricity infrastructure here is simply more suited to it on this base level (and this applied to most European countries, even though our sockets may differ a little from country to country). That said, I understand U.S. may enjoy an edge overall of HPWC "speed" potential for other reasons.

That said, personally I feel the qualifications discussed on who can legitimately charge locally at a Supercharger remain problematic, but I think that is best left at agreeing to disagree.

If you have a 240V outlet in your garage then there really is no argument. You should at least be able to gain 50 miles over night. Sure if that's not enough stop at a Supercharger as much as you need to but to not even plug in just lazy.

Indeed, many a daily commute can be replenished with even a mere 13A overnight.

However, as this is not simply a matter of etiquette, I refer to my summary, because the Tesla Supercharger offer debate is not quite that simple. :)

I am interested if a summary of sorts might generate some more mutual understanding than a continued tit-for-tat. I am genuinely interested how many of you could agree to the following, now updated:

I think most us agree Tesla created the Supercharger system to solve certain specific issues hindering EV adoption, including both lack of infrastructure and the unique needs of EVs. This started with long-distance travel (call it the road trip), both the lack of charging and the lack of charging speed, but eventually evolved into other intents as well, such as solving the question of urban charging (London), perhaps - at least temporarily - even issues like operating a taxi fleet of EVs (Schipol) which would not work as well without such fast charger.

I think most us agree Tesla has calculated the price of the Supercharger system (built into the price of the car nowadays) in such a manner that it would be mostly used for the above-mentioned purposes. I think most of us can also agree Tesla would prefer the Supercharger system to be used for these purposes and not much for other purposes. No doubt, Tesla is also a strong advocate of the home charger, and of the EV-era home (solar, PowerWall etc.) and would not wish to hinder this with the Supercharger.

Also, I think most of us agree the Supercharger, as unique a system as it is, is by nature an obstacle remover - not an instrument of lesser total cost of ownership. There is some debate over whether or not, as EVs have crossed these obstacles and moved to the mainstream, the Supercharger system may become - for future Tesla models - either pay-per-use or perhaps one day even obsolete if other solutions to EV charging replace it in society.

I think most of us can agree, Tesla did not specify or impose - prior to the latest general meeting - any specific limitations on the use of Superchargers, beyond rules related to parking at Superchargers (be it in the form of traffic signs or the website FAQ). I think most of us even agree, Tesla will not likely impose any limitations on the use of Superchargers (on Model S), beyond informative letters.

Where there is a main disagreement, and my intent here is merely to note this not continue to argue it, is: Was Tesla clear enough beforehand on what the Supercharger system can be used for?

Some feel, perhaps a majority on this TMC thread, the context of their communications made it clear enough it was intended for enabling long-distance travel and perhaps secondarily situations where no other charging would be feasible - and at the end of the day, common sense, reasonable interpretation and/or manners should at the very least have made it clear enough. One argument being this is similar to free refills at lunch restaurant, you are expected to know the limits (i.e. during your meal, not the next day) without being explicitly told so.

Some feel, perhaps a minority on this TMC thread, Tesla used the generalized message of free Supercharging for life as a marketing tool, intentionally without limitations to strenghten the marketing message - and that Tesla sales people used the message liberally, thus creating the perception that Supercharging is not - either legally or morally - limited to any specific use. Some of these people feel e.g. the lunch refill argument does not apply, because Tesla made use of the implication that there are absolutely no limits, similar to a restaurant selling you a mug and saying come refill anytime.

Who would be comfortable with this summary and just agreeing to disagree on the last part? I know I am.

Last edited:
Supercharging - Elon's statement that Daily Supercharging Users are Receiving...

It really is that simple. You have the right to not plug in at home and use the Superchargers as much as you want but that doesn't make it right or good etiquette. Or good for you even. If enough people come up with the same brilliant idea then you yourself will be blocked from charging when you really need it.

If you have 240V outlet in your garage regardless of the Amps it outputs you should plug in and at least reduce the amount of Supercharging you need at the Superchargers. If you forget and need to Supercharger then by all means use the Superchager. If your slow 13A can't keep up with your commute then please use the Supercharger or consider upgrading your home charging.

It really is that simple. You have the right to not plug in at home and use the Superchargers as much as you want but that doesn't make it right or good etiquette. Or good for you even. If enough people come up with the same brilliant idea then you yourself will be blocked from charging when you really need it.

If you have 240V outlet in your garage regardless of the Amps it outputs you should plug in and at least reduce the amount of Supercharging you need at the Superchargers. If you forget and need to Supercharger then by all means use the Superchager. If your slow 13A can't keep up with your commute then please use the Supercharger or consider upgrading your home charging.

Just that we're clear, I get that is your opinion - and I don't necessarily even disagree it being good etiquette. I under-use Superchargers and I don't expect that to change, ever (although I'm sure my use will eventually rise a little as the network expands), so I'd gladly spare my "time slot" to an over-user or two, though. ;)

For me, the debate was not about etiquette, but what Tesla promoted back then - and what Tesla promotes now - because what Tesla promotes now isn't even clear.

One of the things that makes a thread like this hard is that people are discussing different things, for some it is what Tesla said, for others it is what is right, and everything in between. :)

No one is arguing that Tesla said you can Supercharge as much as you want. But they also said it was intended for long distance travel as the video of the unveiling Bonnie posted shows. It's possible things have changed in 2 years. To not take new data into account and stick their head in the ground would be unwise for Tesla to do.

No one is arguing that Tesla said you can Supercharge as much as you want. But they also said it was intended for long distance travel as the video of the unveiling Bonnie posted shows. It's possible things have changed in 2 years. To not take new data into account and stick their head in the ground would be unwise for Tesla to do.

I would say, some are arguing even that Tesla did say you can't charge as much as you like - through context. There was plenty of talk of throttling, bans, someone even suggested forbidding Tesla sales for life - and other assorted tantrums.

And what Tesla overall said is under dispute in many directions. Then some argue Tesla's message changed over the years, or now - some argue it has always remained the same.

Others talk of what is right or how they'd interpret Tesla's alleged "long-distance only" rule, to all sorts of things that actually have very little to do with long-distance only.

Finally, people have weighed in with very different opinions on what the good etiquette on this would be, which has been somewhat muddied with the different discussion on what Tesla's or owner's actual responsibilities are.

It is a really multi-faceted discussion in my opinion. I don't blame us all too much for not finding consensus. :)

Funny, I thought we were discussing just one thing; should people use SCs locally on a regular basis. There is more than enough in what Tesla has, and has not, said to allow a person to justify using SCs for daily local needs. However, I view Tesla as having treated their customers as adults and with respect. The adult respectful thing to do would be to honor the intent of the asset/facility.

Just because you can does not mean you should.

Funny, I thought we were discussing just one thing; should people use SCs locally on a regular basis. There is more than enough in what Tesla has, and has not, said to allow a person to justify using SCs for daily local needs. However, I view Tesla as having treated their customers as adults and with respect. The adult respectful thing to do would be to honor the intent of the asset/facility.

Just because you can does not mean you should.

The legitimacy of those notes (or lack thereof alternatively) is being discussed through a wide variety of points of view, obviously.

Yet, even the "abuse" side is receiving multi-faceted attention. "Daily Supercharger" is not the only type of abuser, and not all "Daily Superchargers" are considered abusers even by those who subscribe to the "abuse" point of view, and so forth.

It really is a very diverse conversation, which in itself is good, but it is hard to gain agreement beyond some very generic notions perhaps. :)

As for intent (and subsequently adult respect of), even that depends on did and should the customer have known (did Tesla make it clear) what the intent was. There is a debate over that. Because in reverse, if intent was unclear or marketing was misleading, the adult responsible thing would be to honor the wider interpretation.

and a perfect example of how behavior can be justified......

Plain and simple. The system breaks down if everyone uses SCs for daily charging. In response to this truth, people want to discuss just how many of them can use it for daily charging before the trough dries up.

Sorry to be so black and white about it but I do not do well discussing shades of grey when it comes to right and wrong.

I just took a quick look at your handle and I must add that my view is from a US vantage point only. Things are different on the other side of the pond when it comes to access to charging and the mindset for what is and is not an entitlement.

and a perfect example of how behavior can be justified......

Plain and simple. The system breaks down if everyone uses SCs for daily charging. In response to this truth, people want to discuss just how many of them can use it for daily charging before the trough dries up.

Sorry to be so black and white about it but I do not do well discussing shades of grey when it comes to right and wrong.

I just took a quick look at your handle and I must add that my view is from a US vantage point only. Things are different on the other side of the pond when it comes to access to charging and the mindset for what is and is not an entitlement.

I respect your opinion. Although, equally I think your post exemplifies one of the issues I feel are in this thread - a wide-variety of subjective interpretations on the topic are being applied at the same time, some of the them more stringent than others. I would say "I do not do well discussing shades of grey when it comes to right and wrong" assumes an absolute right of sorts, even though right and wrong are subjective at least in practice where the circumstances are subjective and thus goodness or badness uncertain.

For example, someone might consider the responsibility of the larger entity (Tesla in this case) as higher than that of the smaller entity (the consumer). For others it would make no difference in right and wrong, and so forth. For someone the "abuser" could more easily be the corporation that is felt misleading the consumer, than the other way around, simply due to added power brings added responsibility. As you correctly point out, regional and cultural differences probably also play a part.

Personally, the crux of my opinion isn't really about entitlement to charge at Superchargers (I rarely do), for me it was: Tesla changed their marketing message, softly, in the general meeting from what it had been. I don't think that is how they sold the Supercharger to us, I think the unlimited use interpretation is not entitlement nor is it unfair (quite the opposite, I'd say changing sold and bought for-life terms would be unfair). That said, I don't expect Tesla to enforce any stricter rules, so I'm fine with that despite of this.

Other people have beef with quite different issues - for example, many a person have confronted myself with the same entitlement angle, although I don't see how that has anything to do with my point of view. I certainly don't feel entitled. But I do consider it reasonable holding people and companies (especially companies that take money) to their word - and so it comes down to what one believes Tesla said and so the hyperloop goes round and round... :)

Just my subjective take on the topic. I agree there are my other angles to it as well, as I summarized above.

If someone tells you (or if you hear them tell you) something that is too good to be true, it likely is not true. There is no way I could have heard Tesla tell me that free SuperCharging was for all my charging needs because that simply would not make sense and would be too good to be true. The company simply could not provide everyone with free power for all their travel for the amount they charge for SC activation (the only thing we have remotely close to what we "are charged" for SuperCharging).

So-
Either the buyer thinks the company is lying to get his/her money
The buyer thinks they will just use as much of the "free" power as they can until the company runs out of ability to pay
Or the buyer thinks just they will make use of all the free power which will allow the company to stay in business and continue to service their needs

These are the only logical paths if you think you heard the company tell you they would pay for all your charging for life. Given none of these options make a lot of sense, I would take pause and re-evaluate if I really heard the company tell me they would pay for all my charging or if they just said-
Travel is a barrier to EV adoption so we will put in charging stations on the interstate system so people can travel using our product. We do not want to bill for this so we will pick up the tab.

I have the benefit of having bought my first Model S before there was such a thing as a SuperCharger. I'm grateful that Tesla has shown that EVs are viable even for long distance travel and I will not look that gift horse in the mouth.

I will restate what I have already said. There is more than enough wiggle room here to justify any behavior you like. Go ahead customer base. Use SCs for your daily needs. We will all live with the consequences.

So I guess we are back to discussing the morals of daily local charging on superchargers? After Elon's statement I think it's clear *at this moment* the intent is not for that to happen and that it's "wrong" according to Tesla (although still not strictly prohibited).

Now goes to discussing about Tesla's message *before* Elon made that statement (is it a clarification or a change?). The poll on this is still standing at 90+% on the long distance travel side.
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/48618-Poll-Proper-Usage-of-Superchargers

If we go back to the supercharger page right after the unveiling (it doesn't really get any earlier than this), the entire page was about long distance travel/ road trips:
GO AHEAD, TAKE A TRIP
Charge in minutes, not hours. And it's free.
They’re designed to give road trippers half a charge in about half an hour.
Supercharging is a game-changing solution to a common question – how to enable long road trips in an electric vehicle without long stops.
Now you can travel the country in a game-changing way.
https://web.archive.org/web/20120925135117/http://www.teslamotors.com/supercharger

It seems pretty clear to me that the message about superchargers being for long distance driving is very clear even at the start.

It seems pretty clear to me that the message about superchargers being for long distance driving is very clear even at the start.

Yes at the start but after that the message changed. Since spring they have been changing it back to "long distance travel". For example this page was changed in the last few days. Compare it to April version which have for example these:

Where is the nearest one to me?
How can I help bring a Supercharger to my area?
Customers are free to use the network as much as they like.

In addition my understanding is that Tesla sales staff have been selling the car with "Customers are free to use the network as much as they like" and why wouldn't they because that is what Tesla web site stated.

Compare it to April version which have for example these:
Where is the nearest one to me?
How can I help bring a Supercharger to my area?
Again, context is everything. In a road trip case, a supercharger station must still be within at least 100-200 miles (160-320km) to even work. For example, the Toijala and Paimio are useful to you on a road trip because they are less than 160km away from you in Uusimaa. However, if you happened to live in Oulu which is a 520+km trip to Toijala, then those supercharger stations are worthless without a station closer to the area. Those questions do not mean Tesla is encouraging local travel on superchargers.

Customers are free to use the network as much as they like.
People keep latching on this line to justify themselves, but ignore the context completely.
Let's quote in full:
How often can I Supercharge? Is it bad for my battery?
Supercharging does not alter the new vehicle warranty. Customers are free to use the network as much as they like.
That line's context was referring to those worrying that supercharging often will be bad for their battery and void their warranty. This was a real concern since Nissan once limited quick charging to one per day (quickly lifted though). So Tesla is saying not to worry and to charge as much as you want in that context. That doesn't mean they don't have an expectation of *how* you are using it.

For example, the Toijala and Paimio are useful to you on a road trip because they are less than 160km away from you in Uusimaa. However, if you happened to live in Oulu which is a 520+km trip to Toijala, then those supercharger stations are worthless without a station closer to the area. Those questions do not mean Tesla is encouraging local travel on superchargers.

I do not consider Toijala nor Paimio being "near" me nor in "my area". Those are the words used on that QA page. Actually the page said "nearest" which clearly encourages local supercharging.

Last edited:
If I were tesla some signal processing of GPS and charging patterns would yield what I (echo delta) consider stretching the fair use expectation :
- find those cars that park overnight or for long times at the same places where they have charged or somewhat regularly charge substantially (defined as a function of their energy use) and use detours / special purpose trips to superchargers (ie not thru but to and back) during the same time periods.
Basically, finding those that seem like they can charge enough elsewhere but won't, by choice and making an effort, repeatedly.

If I were tesla I'd just measure and not nudge or enforce, as market research and optimization of the algorithm for model 3.

Not enough people running out of water in California yet to make that conversation relevant? Sorry to pick such a harsh example but it seems on point.

It is best to address problems before they become problems. Addressing the all my charging entitlement before it becomes a problem would seem wise.

If someone tells you (or if you hear them tell you) something that is too good to be true, it likely is not true. There is no way I could have heard Tesla tell me that free SuperCharging was for all my charging needs because that simply would not make sense and would be too good to be true. The company simply could not provide everyone with free power for all their travel for the amount they charge for SC activation (the only thing we have remotely close to what we "are charged" for SuperCharging).

The very same thing can be said of unlimited long-distance Supercharging. It can certainly reasonable be said to sound to good to be true. Some people long-distance travel a lot. The notion that it is free for life of the car is in the same ballpark of unrealistic, once you add enough volume. Hence why some of us, of course, ponder if Tesla will change the rules for Model 3. So far Tesla seems to make the point current system is sustainable and the average use is $500/car, out of what $1500-$2000 allocated to it from the price of the car. Everyone of us, I'm sure, realizes how exceptional the Supercharger offer for Model S. It would not surprise me one bit for it to change in the future for new customers and/or car models.

It was always apparent to me Tesla would choose the locations for Superchargers in such a manner that their average user would benefit Tesla's overall goal and minimize other types of use. Hence they have installed also some non-long-distance charging based Superchargers (e.g. London), because they have many goals they are advancing with the system, not merely long-distance driving. They would also promote alternatives like home-charging improvements to - on average - see the kind of progress they want. It has been my assumption Tesla's "free unlimited" stance stemmed from their calculus and estimates that overall it would be profitable to do this without limitations AND it would benefit their marketing (key point to me). Trusting that is not anymore unreasonable than trusting any promise from an estabilshed, yet still risky startup/growup like Tesla.

So-
Either the buyer thinks the company is lying to get his/her money
The buyer thinks they will just use as much of the "free" power as they can until the company runs out of ability to pay
Or the buyer thinks just they will make use of all the free power which will allow the company to stay in business and continue to service their needs

This suggests Tesla is in mortal danger because of local Supercharging. Their own average per car estimate of $500 suggests they are not. Here's my view on that: Tesla is basically selling a fixed-cost service. Some amount of every Tesla Model S sold is basically allocated to a "fund" to power the Supercharger network for the life of those cars. As with every fixed-cost service, it is up to the service-seller to calcuate it in such a manner that the under-users average out the over-users and everything in between, while leaving a profit or whatever other goals (promotion of the car in this case) the seller might have. Tesla benefits from users like me, who rarely Supercharge at all, while of course some over-users even this out. I don't see that overall as an unreasonable situation, nor do Tesla's own numbers suggest it is untenable at all.

Not my point.
I am sure there is merit to your analysis but I find it akin to retail stores allowing for some shoplifting theft in their calculus. Just because it happens does not make it right.

I've tried to return to fundamental values when looking at this and other similar threads. SCs were needed (in the US) to remove the long distance travel barrier to EV adoption. Tesla has yielded to some of the calls for destination chargers as well in support of the long distance travel goal. People are now using SCs for local charging thus all these threads and Elon's comments.

The question here is what happens when we justify shoplifting? Once shoplifting is ok, how much of it breaks the bank? OBVIOUSLY local charging is not shoplifting but you get the point.