Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharging - Elon's statement that Daily Supercharging Users are Receiving Notes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wouldn't think so. You charge at home usually right? Grabbing a quick charge while you are out and about is something Tesla has supported. Again, if you never charge at home but could and refuse to do so simply because a Supercharger is near your home it seems Tesla is asking those people to simply plug in at night.
Mostly charge at home with the exceptions of the above.

Occasional use was always fair game, and remains that with Elon's statement. We won't have a lot of clarity on the specific conditions to trigger such a notice unless someone reports back about it (although as others put it, if someone receives such a notice, the likelihood might not be high of them reporting it).

This is where David Noland comes in again. Odds are high he'll reprint the communiqué verbatim, in a follow-up article.

...Bless his heart!

Tesla also only highlights free superchargers. They don't say "free unlimited superchargers". The only part where it hints at that is if you dig in the FAQ to the part where it talks about degradation and warranty. But the advertising never highlighted unlimited. That's where companies like AT&T got in trouble because their marketing had that in big bold letters and yet they ended up throttling.
I'd say it's pretty big if it's in the FAQ. That's why a FAQ exists, to get a clear answer for stuff like that.

Also it's not like they don't mention it anywhere else.

With this software update, we’ll enable access and you’ll be able to enjoy free,unlimited use of the Tesla Supercharger network.

http://www.teslamotors.com/sites/default/files/blog_attachments/software_update_1.15.8.pdf

:rolleyes:

I'm not the type to downvote sentiments I disagree with, but please....

Should have added :wink:But . . .With that said . . .

Please feel free. I'm very comfortable with my position which has been adequately supported by Tesla Motors actual statements. Without the need for inference.

Unlike many poster who state unequivocally that there is a moral component to this discussion beyond courtesy.

I'd say it's pretty big if it's in the FAQ. That's why a FAQ exists, to get a clear answer for stuff like that.

With this software update, we’ll enable access and you’ll be able to enjoy free,unlimited use of the Tesla Supercharger network.

http://www.teslamotors.com/sites/default/files/blog_attachments/software_update_1.15.8.pdf
My point was it was not a feature they really advertised and notably absent in their front/supercharger page ads. The FAQ mention is taken out of context and doesn't use the "unlimited" wording. In fact it's really tough to dig for examples where they used "unlimited" whereas it's extremely easy to find references to long distance and roadtrips in all their ads (and I'm referring to even before Elon's recent statement by looking at the internet archive). However, people here has chosen to focus on them advertising "free unlimited superchargers" when it is extremely rare that that they use that wording and when they do it is buried somewhere.

And the definition of the Tesla Supercharger network according to the same page is:

Tesla’s Supercharger network is a game changer for electric vehicles, providing long distance travel that has a level of convenience equivalent to gasoline cars for all practical purposes

So yes, you have free, unlimited use of this thing that provides long distance travel.

Check.

Supercharging - Elon's statement that Daily Supercharging Users are Receiving...

The only way to know if people need it more than you is to ask though. So to add to your rules when someone else pulls up and all the spots are full do you quiz the person arriving? What if you don't believe them when they say they aren't local or really 'need' the charge? Need is relative just like 'local' seems to be relative apparently.

My point was it was not a feature they really advertised and notably absent in their front/supercharger page ads. The FAQ mention is taken out of context and doesn't use the "unlimited" wording. In fact it's really tough to dig for examples where they used "unlimited" whereas it's extremely easy to find references to long distance and roadtrips in all their ads (and I'm referring to even before Elon's recent statement by looking at the internet archive). However, people here has chosen to focus on them advertising "free unlimited superchargers" when it is extremely rare that that they use that wording and when they do it is buried somewhere.

Again, all those Tesla sales people were saying unlimited, no qualifications. There is enough evidence for me to believe this is - or at least was - a wider phenomenon than anecdotal. Tesla is responsible for them, no dealerships as you know.

Also, the context you allude is very vague in my mind. If Tesla had intended to make a clear distinction on this being "road trips only", it would have been trivial for them to say so.

They didn't so say, until now.

Why? I speculate the vague message was better marketing for the car. Maybe now they regret it - or maybe they don't and TMC just made a bigger deal out of Elon's comments and slight changes to Tesla PR - but either way they are now clarifying something they didn't before.

And we didn't even go to the urban city-dweller Superchargers and taxi fleets supported by Tesla yet...

Again, there is no bait and switch. Elon simply asked those who use the Supercharger as their personal garage instead of their actual garage to please charge at home when then can. Did you miss that mentioned a few times in this thread?