Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharging expectation - 3 year old car - share your experience please

What's a typical rate you get at a Supercharger when you are at 50% SOC?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've super charged in over 25 states, I think 2000+ times. I've kept a log of Everytime. No charge will ever be the same. There are too many variables, SOC, temp, altitude, etc. I noticed my charges were taken to long. Water pump 3 was bad, not cooling pack enough. Tesla throttled all of us antiques back to save the battery packs. That's a fact now in court. The court in Norway just ruled Tesla had to pay every S owner $16,000 for throttling back the cars. If you start and keep a good record you can prove your battery is going bad.
My car started using too many miles to get to the service center, 50 miles. I recorded it. They checked my pack. I had several modules gone bad. They replaced my pack.
My original full charge was 265, now it's 225 miles. Even on replaced pack, they did not set it at 265 because it was a remanufactured pack. I asked why I didn't get new pack? " We don't make them anymore"". What's my warranty? "" There is none"".

I've super charged in over 25 states, I think 2000+ times. I've kept a log of Everytime. No charge will ever be the same. There are too many variables, SOC, temp, altitude, etc. I noticed my charges were taken to long. Water pump 3 was bad, not cooling pack enough. Tesla throttled all of us antiques back to save the battery packs. That's a fact now in court. The court in Norway just ruled Tesla had to pay every S owner $16,000 for throttling back the cars. If you start and keep a good record you can prove your battery is going bad.
My car started using too many miles to get to the service center, 50 miles. I recorded it. They checked my pack. I had several modules gone bad. They replaced my pack.
My original full charge was 265, now it's 225 miles. Even on replaced pack, they did not set it at 265 because it was a remanufactured pack. I asked why I didn't get new pack? " We don't make them anymore"". What's my warranty? "" There is none"".

I was only just recently chargegated because I had 3 year old v8.1 until a few months ago when I upgraded to MCU2.

Image shows charge curves several days before the upgrade while still on v8.1 vs right afterwards on v10.

i-52jrN5q-X2.png

Since then, I've seen 105 KW at 20% (sustained) at 250KW chargers, at the right temp, and ONLY if the charger is very crowded. If the charger is not crowded, everything can still be optimal but I won't see higher than 90KW at 20%.

I’m on a road trip, 2018 MS 75D. I planned my stops making a very loose assumption, drive 150-175 miles and charge from 10-80% in 30 minutes. Well, after the second stop that assumption flew out the window. I have logged all my stops but have not done any analysis yet. I’m guessing that from 15-80% is at least 40 min, on day 2 of the trip I switched to more frequent stops and charging from 15-50 or 60 in 20 min.

Those who answered 300 to 399 did so based on what they saw right after they plugged in. Nobody with an 85 is getting that at 50% if it's been more than 2
minutes since they plugged in. Period. Also, this poll should have asked what they're KW were, not miles / hour.
Agree with your suggestion. I NEVER look at mph - just kW. I had to go back and change my vote after I realized I assumed the poll asked for kW.

Supercharging info on 2017 P100D with 61k miles.

Charged last night on a V2 charger. Nav routing to the charger showed no preconditioning so I turned on Ludi+. When I got to the charger at 10:55 the warmup time was down from 40 minutes to 10 so I imagine the battery was fairly hot. Started at 23% state of charge and it ramped quickly to 141kW, usually it settles around 60kW for a bit, then ramps up. 4 minutes later it reached a peak of 145kW with the taper starting at 33% about 5 minutes after starting to charge.
40% 125kW with a slow but steady drop
50% 95kW
60% 74kW
70% 61kW
80% 47kW (23-80% in 36 minutes)
90% 33kW (23-90% in 48 minutes)
95% 27kW (57 minutes) and then it gets weird.... An hour into the charging session I am at 97%, an hour and 8 minutes I'm at 100%, range shows 272 (yes this is a P100D and I have the 19" wheels) and it showing that it is still pulling 12kW?? Ive charged to 100 before and the last 5% usually gets 1-2kW.... Waited 12 more minutes, still at 100% LOL and range is up to 275 but hasn't changed in 7 minutes and still showing 10kW from the charger. I unplugged at that point.

I recently tried to 'balance the battery' by letting the car get low, settle, and then slowly charging to 100%. That made zero difference on getting me range back and actually seemed to lose some. Before I was 282-285 miles, after I have been at 273-281.

YMMV!

IMG_20210618_145558_01.jpg

I'm nearing my warranty expiration. How can I get them to check the modules to see if I can get a battery replacement? I have been waiting for the driveunit on my p85 to be replaced, and they also said I should change the axles ($1000) for leaking. Hopefully this helps with being able to keep it for many years to come.

View attachment 688967
I'm nearing my warranty expiration. How can I get them to check the modules to see if I can get a battery replacement? I have been waiting for the driveunit on my p85 to be replaced, and they also said I should change the axles ($1000) for leaking. Hopefully this helps with being able to keep it for many years to come.

You can't. Well you can pay them but they will just tell you everything is fine NO MATTER WHAT. As long as you don't have a fatal BMS error popping up telling you the sky is falling, then your battery is operating as it should according to them. No reason to waste the money.

In my experience, even a fatal BMS error isn't enough. The first "Avoid Hard Acceleration. Battery needs sevice" message I got was claimed by them not to be a real error. That error ended up being BMS 159, max WOT exceeded. It used to be that for 85 Ludicrous upgraded batteries, once you hit 2500, that error would go off and guess what, 9 out of 10 times you leave upgraded to a V3 P90DL with a 75 hp bump. But then they decided that it didn't warrant replacement and their response to me was that if I want the error to go away, to upgrade to V10. So I drove it like that for 18 months until I did the MCU2 upgrade. After that, I kept getting BMS errors that in the end were related to incorrectly configured HVL nodes in the MCU2. It took two trips to get that sorted out and they charged me diagnostics both times. They said the first one would be refunded after review if it turned out to be a result of their work. Since it was something related to the new MCU2 they just installed, how could it NOT be. Same response for the diagnostic on the second visit. Haven't seen a refund for either....nor have I seen a refund for my $100 solar roof deposit that the I canceled over a month ago.

Last edited: