Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharging faster than 250kW?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Curious what the mi/hr you are getting charging at 261kW?

IMG_4823.JPG

The car displays the kW the charger is supplying, and the miles per hour of range (power displayed as rated range) that’s being added to the pack. The limit going into the pack is 250 kW, but the car is also consuming energy for battery conditioning and climate control. Depending on your car’s configuration, this can range from 3 kW to 11 kW of power above the 250 kW that the battery can take.

I’ve seen 258 kW in my 2018 dual motor, which corresponds to 250 kW battery charging plus 7 kW battery conditioning plus about 1 kW of climate control while sitting in the car.

• Informative
Reactions: GtiMart and israndy
The car displays the kW the charger is supplying, and the miles per hour of range (power displayed as rated range) that’s being added to the pack. The limit going into the pack is 250 kW, but the car is also consuming energy for battery conditioning and climate control. Depending on your car’s configuration, this can range from 3 kW to 11 kW of power above the 250 kW that the battery can take.

I’ve seen 258 kW in my 2018 dual motor, which corresponds to 250 kW battery charging plus 7 kW battery conditioning plus about 1 kW of climate control while sitting in the car.

If you ever see it again, take a PIC (or it didn't happen)
Well now the challenge is on to reproduce it. I'll be sure to have the AC blasting and camera at the ready, but I'm not going back to Tomah WI just to test this :).

It's not just that, but the "250kW" is not technically what the Supercharger is supplies. At low state of charge, it operates in constant current mode, so it's suppling a constant current (e.g. 600A). But as it does this, the battery voltage slowly rises (due to the charge being added). As the voltage rises, the power (which is voltage times current) also slowly rises, so you could see the power peak at above 250kW briefly before it switches over to constant voltage mode (at which point it will start to taper off).

All that is to say that V3 Superchargers are not technically 250kW chargers, but rather 600A chargers. But 250kW sounds better and more understandable.

Actually the V3 nameplate states that the output current is 631A and max voltage is 500V, and that doesn't mean that it's capable of 631*500 = 315kW (at least not that we know of) as the max current may be limited at high voltage levels (impossible to tell without the detailed charger specs), but it's not unexpected that the charger will deliver the full 600A (or whatever the car requests) and the power level to creep slightly above 250kW as the pack voltage increases.

V3 superchargers deliver 680A (or more) at peak. Not 600A.
See Bjorn's recent video, which shows 680A going into the battery pack while charging at 250 kW on a Model Y.
So likely more than 680A dispensed, if battery conditioning plus charging losses:

FWIW, I've also seen 257 kW displayed for a few seconds, right after plugging into a V3 station. But it quickly ramps down to 250 kW.

On the other hand, EA stations are current limited to 350A ("150 kW" stations), or 500A ("350 kW" stations).
This includes battery conditioning and charging losses, so the amps going into the battery is far lower.

Reactions: Big Earl
According to the pic it's 39°F outside, so a lot of that number is going to running the PTC heaters to keep the cabin warm. I have seen my car go to 1070 MPH charging, so that one's pretty close to the peak.

Attachments

• E6BCBF5C-67DB-433C-B378-CBA6FB2BEF8E_1_105_c.jpeg
    E6BCBF5C-67DB-433C-B378-CBA6FB2BEF8E_1_105_c.jpeg
    124.5 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Reactions: threeputts