Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharging Nightmare Begins

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In reality, how can you expect from a lot of people to have a charger at home?
The same way I expect them to be able to park while they are asleep or at work. If there is a place to park, there is a place to charge.
I would tell your friend if he does not have a place to charge an EV enough for the distance he drives everyday, than an EV may not be for him, at this time.
Yep.
OOPs! Just checked, there is now a brand new SC just south of Little Rock!
Yes - brand new. Opened 18 months ago.
What? The production race is not about the government subsidy. If that were the case they would have slow peddled last quarter to put the 200,000 mark into the first day of Q4, then the $7500 rebate would last through Q1!
They did exactly that. Delivered cars to Canada in Q2 to delay 200,000 mark to the first day of Q3.
I have to say I don't get why people think the free nature of charging is much of a factor in Supercharger use. What part of the above scenario was due to the charging being free?
Even if a small percentage are supercharging only because it is cheaper than charging at home it makes a difference in demand, and if near capacity that small increase in demand can increase queues significantly.

You seem to be saying more than one thing. First let me disconnect the sales of the models S and 3. The model S was the first production EV from Tesla. The first car you could buy and drive and not treat like a lab queen. But it was very expensive, a true luxury car and there were virtually no chargers. So sure sales would remain relatively consistent because they never really caught up with demand. As more chargers appeared and trips became practical that continued to increase demand for EVs in general so when the model X appeared demand for the S didn't drop off.

But to say demand for the S has remained strong for all 6 years, what you really mean is demand has stayed ahead of supply so there is a waiting period to buy. But that wait is about the same as the production time which is mandatory since they don't want to do what Detroit does, filling lots with tons of cars which then have to be sold. The quantity of model S sales has remained about the same number for years. A number that no one in the auto industry would say is "strong". If GM made the model S or X they would have discontinued it after a few years just as they are dropping the Volt.

The last part of your post reads just like the post you replied to, except you are only looking a very few years out where I agree Tesla can do well. They have the charging advantage and right now the only real competition to the 3 is the Bolt. You then stop looking ahead. It is 2 to 4 years out when many of the major auto companies will have competing models out. The Leaf is supposed to start shipping with a 150 mile battery very soon. I don't know all the dates of all the cars, but they are coming and sooner than you seem to realize.

Nearly every other BEV that comes out will be good competition to the model 3, especially the 200 mile, $35,000 version they are months from selling yet. What exactly was the competition to the model S? If you think sales of the model 3 will remain strong for the same reasons the model S sales didn't diminish, you aren't thinking logically, but rather emotionally. "Things have always been good, so they will always be good."

In 4 more years Tesla will have lost an absolute charging advantage making the competing brands practical for trips which means a *lot* more people can replace their ICE with a BEV that isn't a Tesla. With the huge clout and manufacturing expertise big iron has they can and will dominate the market unless... Tesla prepares for this. Musk is a great entrepreneur, but can he run a company that has to compete with big iron and compete for the true mainstream high volume production auto world we live in. Only time will tell. But they won't get there by staying on the same course that got them here.

You make a lot of assumptions and I'm not seeing much in the way of any factual information here. I have actually taken a look at what other manufacturers are planning in the next few years and it doesn't look like any of the production volumes are going to be high for their full BEVs and most of the releases coming up shortly are either high end competition for the S/X or lower end competition for Leaf, i3, Kona etc. I'm not going to buy any of those ahead of an M3 or MY. I'm not going to try and predict longer term as that is rather pointless unless you have some serious inside knowledge, which I don't and I suspect neither do you. All I'm saying here is that I think demand for Model 3 will be very strong for the next couple of years at least and I can't see "big iron" doing anything other than trying to sell as many ICE vehicles as possible for the next decade or more.

For fun, maybe it would be useful to make a list of EV vehicles you might consider to be direct competition for a Model 3. On the ICE side we have the BMW 3 series, Merc C class etc. But what about direct EV competitors? The Leaf simply isn't in the same class for either performance or desirability and the i3 is nowhere near as practical. What else is coming along, when and in what kind of production volumes? I see very little until you start looking at timescales approaching the end of the M3 lifecycle.

Of course you are as entitled to your personal opinion as much as I am, we just don't quite agree on most of it!

Reactions: KJD
The same way I expect them to be able to park while they are asleep or at work. If there is a place to park, there is a place to charge.

That's not realistic really. "Home" charging is the optimum charging method for anyone who can get to a 240 volt outlet. I don't recall the exact number now, but I looked up how many people live in home types that aren't conducive to installing a 240 outlet near the car and it was a minority. Something well over half of the US live in single family detached homes. But that doesn't help those who don't. Until EVs become mainstream and home chargers are mainstream those people will have to use Superchargers and similar. Maybe charging at work will become mainstream, but same deal, it isn't now.

They did exactly that. Delivered cars to Canada in Q2 to delay 200,000 mark to the first day of Q3.

Apples and oranges. One is where they sell cars which is good vs. good and the other is selling cars vs. not selling cars, good vs. bad. Tesla is all about getting production up on the model 3. I don't know since I don't get invited to the board meetings, but I don't think production rates under 5,000/wk for the model 3 is a good thing... or I should say enough of a good thing.

Even if a small percentage are supercharging only because it is cheaper than charging at home it makes a difference in demand, and if near capacity that small increase in demand can increase queues significantly.

Lol, yes, and that will always be true. It still doesn't indicate what effect the "free" nature of charging has on the real world. If the charging isn't free where will those people charge? When the lines form the "free" loaders will bail if they had other options. So this is a self regulating problem if Tesla owners have other options.

Come on! The cost of filling your tank at the Tesla service station is only $10 at the average US electric rate. Who's going to stand in line for even 20 minutes to save $10? Or is electricity a lot higher where the lines are?

• Funny
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
That's not realistic really. "Home" charging is the optimum charging method for anyone who can get to a 240 volt outlet. I don't recall the exact number now, but I looked up how many people live in home types that aren't conducive to installing a 240 outlet near the car and it was a minority.
You can put a 240v outlet or EVSE anywhere there is a parking space.
Apples and oranges.
Apples to apples. They had enough production to exceed 200,000 cars delivered in the US during Q2. They diverted cars to Canada deliveries to extend the US incentives by another quarter.
Lol, yes, and that will always be true. It still doesn't indicate what effect the "free" nature of charging has on the real world. If the charging isn't free where will those people charge?
At home where it is not free.

Reactions: nwdiver
You make a lot of assumptions and I'm not seeing much in the way of any factual information here. I have actually taken a look at what other manufacturers are planning in the next few years and it doesn't look like any of the production volumes are going to be high for their full BEVs and most of the releases coming up shortly are either high end competition for the S/X or lower end competition for Leaf, i3, Kona etc. I'm not going to buy any of those ahead of an M3 or MY. I'm not going to try and predict longer term as that is rather pointless unless you have some serious inside knowledge, which I don't and I suspect neither do you. All I'm saying here is that I think demand for Model 3 will be very strong for the next couple of years at least and I can't see "big iron" doing anything other than trying to sell as many ICE vehicles as possible for the next decade or more.

Yes, you sound like you are disagreeing with me and then you come to the same conclusion. Tesla has a lock on the market for "the next couple of years". After that big iron will be making their moves.

You can say I am "assuming", but I think the things I read in the press about the intent of the major car companies and the current events in the market show that "big iron" is taking EVs seriously. All the major automakers have major design efforts underway, that is certain. Multiple companies have announced dates for new EVs. For me the nail in the coffin was GM closing plants and stating this was in part so they could reduce their product lineup to get ready for the next generation of EVs.

Here are some news reports showing the large interest in making EVs by big iron.

GM Is Closing North American Plants. Another Major Automaker Is Planning to Open a New One

https://www.autonews.com/article/20...nlike-2008-gm-cutting-jobs-plants-proactively

"GM's actions are meant to increase the automaker's profits and strengthen its core business while it doubles investment in autonomous and battery-electric vehicles by 2020 — a year before the automaker is expected to launch an all-new profitable EV platform."

"GM has said it believes self-driving and fully electric vehicles could eventually eclipse profits of its current operations."

'Langley said GM's plan to kill the cars wasn't surprising, but doing it "so quickly is a new phenomenon."'

Big iron doesn't do anything fast, but they've been working on EVs for a long time now and they have decided the time is right. Clearly they see this as an existential threat so they are highly motivated. Ok, that's what I smell on the wind. But I'm willing to make wagers on it too. Tesla is my stock pick for the next two years. After that I'll have to see how things are progressing.

For fun, maybe it would be useful to make a list of EV vehicles you might consider to be direct competition for a Model 3. On the ICE side we have the BMW 3 series, Merc C class etc. But what about direct EV competitors? The Leaf simply isn't in the same class for either performance or desirability and the i3 is nowhere near as practical. What else is coming along, when and in what kind of production volumes? I see very little until you start looking at timescales approaching the end of the M3 lifecycle.

First, I don't see any ICE as competition to any EV. Sure, they compete in the market place, but I don't see anyone making level playing field comparisons buying EVs. EVs are still being sold as very expensive toys, even the model 3. Give it 5 or 10 years and they will be much more competitive with longer ranges and lower prices. So Tesla has a bit of a leg up in the toy aspect. Elon may seem to be a crazy man, but he "gets" that EVs won't initially sell at all like ICE. I don't know if Big Iron gets that or not. Certainly the Bolt isn't at all a "toy".

When the Leaf comes out with a 150 mile range version it will open a much larger market for them I think. You may still not be willing to drive coast to coast in one, but certainly it covers a lot more use cases. It still doesn't make it to Ocean City (my use case that a *lot* of people from my home town do once a year) on a single charge, but it's close. A lunch stop in Cambridge or Queenstown can get you the rest of the trip. My point is 90 to 150 is not a insignificant improvement, not that the Leaf will take over the EV world. The Leaf is viable competition to the low end model 3.

Here Toyota announces they will introduce 10 new EVs over the next 7 years. Not one, not two, but ten!!!

Toyota to make more than 10 battery EV models in early 2020s

More interesting to me is they are starting in China. By the time they hit the US they will have huge production elsewhere already and will be able to hit the ground running. Not something for Tesla to take lightly.

Of course you are as entitled to your personal opinion as much as I am, we just don't quite agree on most of it!

Absolutely. I use my facts to form my opinions and others use their facts to form their opinions. I happen to think my facts are stronger than "Tesla has always made it work". In life as in the stock market, past performance is not an indicator of future success. It's not about the "next few years", it's about the next decade. By then the seats at the table will all have been taken.

You can put a 240v outlet or EVSE anywhere there is a parking space.

No, "I" can't.

Apples to apples. They had enough production to exceed 200,000 cars delivered in the US during Q2. They diverted cars to Canada deliveries to extend the US incentives by another quarter.

They didn't hold back any production. Not at all the same issue.

At home where it is not free.

So all those people have charging at home and drive to a station and wait in line to save $10? Wow, I guess saving $10 every day is how they paid for their Tesla. Let's see... that's only 45 years to pay for my model X.

• Disagree
Reactions: KJD
We will see a CCS1 version of what exactly? Chargers? I doubt that. Adapters? Maybe, but that would only be if CCS1 chargers become common here. So far I think I have actually seen exactly... none in 8,000 miles of driving. Chademo chargers are scattered about because there are Japanese EVs sold here, but I think CCS is a European thing. Who's selling European EVs in the US? I guess they just introduced the iPace in the last month or so. Anything else?

CCS is not a Eurpoean thing - GM was one of the major shaping forces for it, and it exists in two versions - CCS1 uses a J1772 base and is the up and coming standard in the US; CCS2 is based on the mennekes Type 2 plug, and is mandated in the EU ( Mennekes type 2 is pretty much like J1772, but slightly larger in diameter and has two extra power connections so it can handle three phase power.)

Almost all recent installations in the US (aside from Superchargers) are CCS/CHAdeMO dual cord units. I haven't seen a new CHAdeMO only installation in years. There are a few new CCS only installations, but they are rare.

Bolt EV, iPace, Spark EV, i3, eGolf. Pretty much every BEV on the top half of the monthly sales score card that isn't a Tesla or a Leaf uses CCS1.

Admittedly, Tesla is selling the vast majority of BEVs sold in the US right now, and Superchargers with Tesla's proprietary connector are by far the biggest and best network. That's actually kinda my point. I don't see why Tesla would turn their back on all that to replace it with CCS as the post I quoted suggested. They're doing it in Europe because the EU is forcing them to.

CCS is not a Eurpoean thing - GM was one of the major shaping forces for it, and it exists in two versions - CCS1 uses a J1772 base and is the up and coming standard in the US; CCS2 is based on the mennekes Type 2 plug, and is mandated in the EU ( Mennekes type 2 is pretty much like J1772, but slightly larger in diameter and has two extra power connections so it can handle three phase power.)

Almost all recent installations in the US (aside from Superchargers) are CCS/CHAdeMO dual cord units. I haven't seen a new CHAdeMO only installation in years. There are a few new CCS only installations, but they are rare.

Thank you for that info. I thought I had read that there was a CCS connector compatible with J1772, but I didn't find any sign of them. I guess I didn't realize there are actually four DC charging standards to consider including CCS1 and CCS2.

I can't say I have looked for any of these chargers in person, only on the maps since I can't charge from any of them other than possibly a CCS1 with the J1772 adapter which would only be useful for overnight charging. The one Chademo I've tried to use didn't work with my car and no one seems willing to find out why.

Bolt EV, iPace, Spark EV, i3, eGolf. Pretty much every BEV on the top half of the monthly sales score card that isn't a Tesla or a Leaf uses CCS1.

You mean accepts it or is committed to it? The Leave I believe has two types of connectors. I don't know about the Bolt, the Chevy dealer never talked much about charging.

Admittedly, Tesla is selling the vast majority of BEVs sold in the US right now, and Superchargers with Tesla's proprietary connector are by far the biggest and best network. That's actually kinda my point. I don't see why Tesla would turn their back on all that to replace it with CCS as the post I quoted suggested. They're doing it in Europe because the EU is forcing them to.

Of course they are happy to work with OPC (Other People's Chargers) in Europe and still remain compatible with the Superchargers. For Tesla that's a win-win.

Perhaps a good comparison is to cell phones. You buy a new cell phone every two to four years. But you stay with the network that works for you. That only makes sense. With cars it will be the same. Tesla is the only company with their own network and right now it is the only network that offers a useful solution to the trip problem and for some the only useful solution to the charging at all problem. They need to work hard to keep that huge advantage as long as they can.

You mean accepts it or is committed to it? The Leave I believe has two types of connectors. I don't know about the Bolt, the Chevy dealer never talked much about charging.

Is committed to it. At this time, there is no EV that has more than one type of DCFC onboard in the US. (Or most other places, though I believe Tesla in China is an exception.)

Tesla has the CHAdeMO adapter, which means if you buy that you can charge from two different types with a Tesla - and as I said above, since Tesla has committed to a CCS2 adapter for Europe I expect we'll see a CCS1 version of the adapter for the US in due course - there's minimal additional effort in providing that once they've developed the electronics to convert.

What may be confusing you is that unlike the frankenplug, the CHAdeMO is a completely separate plug, sharing nothing with the AC charging port, so a DCFC capable Leaf (still on option on the base trim I believe,) will have a J177@, and a second round port next to it for CHAdeMO.

(CCS cars have the J1772 or Type 2, and then two additional connections at the bottom to accept the CCS DC pins, which are part of a larger plug that includes and relies on the base J1772/type 2 plug.)

I have seen an astounding increase in supercharging station use within the past 3 months. Went from no waiting for a charging station almost any time of the day to waiting for a station every time (sometimes at least for 30mins!).

I don’t have any other means to charge the MX at the moment other than the supercharging station.

Almost every 2nd car I see is a Model 3 waiting to charge. Obviously this has impacted the supercharging stations.

This is in the SF Bay Area.

But that's the norm there.

Everything is so great that too many people go there for that and then it is not so great anymore...

If you're not going to install an adequate 240V circuit, don't buy the car. Or if you do buy the car, don't complain about how long it takes to charge.

I don't that is absolute necessity, but surely be prepared to live within the limitations of home charging on 120V/12A. I did this for months and suspect others can also.

In my case it meant charging after trips longer than 50 miles at a Supercharger and stopping at a Supercharger when I could. I mostly work from home so for me this was once every other week. The rest of the days, I followed the ABC (Always Be Charging) rule. When every my car was at home, it was plugged into the 120V/12A via the Mobile connector.

Reactions: ReddyLeaf
Right! Now you get it. It isn't about the superchargers being free.

I still don't agree about the slower and slower part. You don't know how far anyone has to drive to use this charger. The last part of a 100% charge gets very slow taking a half hour or so. That's a good reason to drive off. Who needs 100% charge or even a 90% charge if they can come back next time and charge at 300+ mph again instead of getting that last drop at 30 mph.
You don't seem to read my statements fully. It IS about the SCs being free. That's what the locals without home chargers are taking full advantage of by hogging the free SCs, even though it gets slower and slower the higher the %s because they don't want to have to come back the next day or two. Fill it up to last however many days of local driving that they need, at the expense (timewise) of the travelers who need a quick charge to get to their next destination.

No one said anything about charging to 100%. I said 80-90%s. At around 70% the kW charge rate goes down significantly already. Doesn't matter to the locals who need the charge to last a few days. They WILL stay put to get it to full (again, full as in 80-90% recommended SoC).

They didn't hold back any production. Not at all the same issue.
They did not hold back production. They held back US sales.
No, "I" can't.
Right. "You" can't put L2 charging whereever there is a parking place, but an electrician can. Parking meters prove the point.
So all those people have charging at home and drive to a station and wait in line to save $10?
Not all. Some.

You don't seem to read my statements fully. It IS about the SCs being free. That's what the locals without home chargers are taking full advantage of by hogging the free SCs, even though it gets slower and slower the higher the %s because they don't want to have to come back the next day or two. Fill it up to last however many days of local driving that they need, at the expense (timewise) of the travelers who need a quick charge to get to their next destination.

No one said anything about charging to 100%. I said 80-90%s. At around 70% the kW charge rate goes down significantly already. Doesn't matter to the locals who need the charge to last a few days. They WILL stay put to get it to full (again, full as in 80-90% recommended SoC).

Ok, I give up. Nothing in your post is about the charging being free. You clearly said you are talking about people with no home chargers. Unless that is a typo it means they are charging at Superchargers because they have no other choice. Whether they charge "to the last" or not has nothing to do with it being free, you yourself say it is about not wanting to return tomorrow. If you can't see that you have said nothing that connects anyone's charging to the cost I can't explain it any better.

Is committed to it. At this time, there is no EV that has more than one type of DCFC onboard in the US. (Or most other places, though I believe Tesla in China is an exception.)

Tesla has the CHAdeMO adapter, which means if you buy that you can charge from two different types with a Tesla - and as I said above, since Tesla has committed to a CCS2 adapter for Europe I expect we'll see a CCS1 version of the adapter for the US in due course - there's minimal additional effort in providing that once they've developed the electronics to convert.

What may be confusing you is that unlike the frankenplug, the CHAdeMO is a completely separate plug, sharing nothing with the AC charging port, so a DCFC capable Leaf (still on option on the base trim I believe,) will have a J177@, and a second round port next to it for CHAdeMO.

(CCS cars have the J1772 or Type 2, and then two additional connections at the bottom to accept the CCS DC pins, which are part of a larger plug that includes and relies on the base J1772/type 2 plug.)

Yes, I am not familiar with any cars other than the Tesla and I realize now the two connector thing is a requirement for Chademo since they didn't evolve from a level 2 charger standard. Thanks for the info.

They did not hold back production. They held back US sales.

Exactly which is not what was being discussed.

Right. "You" can't put L2 charging whereever there is a parking place, but an electrician can. Parking meters prove the point.

Exactly, even an electrician can't put in charging facilities if the owners don't approve. Why are you continuing to argue this point. This is totally silly.

[/QUOTE]Not all. Some.[/QUOTE]

Virtually none! Most people won't spend 5 minutes to save $10. This is silly.

Exactly, even an electrician can't put in charging facilities if the owners don't approve. Why are you continuing to argue this point. This is totally silly.
You are kidding, right?

L2 charging CAN be put in whereever there is parking. Period.

Yes, someone has to be authorized. Yes, someone has to licensed. Yes, you have to get a permit. Yes, someone has to pay for it.

It all CAN be done. Name any parking spot where someone parks regularly overnight, and if you are willing to pay whatever it costs I'll bet we can get an L2 charger there. HOA would be child's play. Government-owned would be more of a challenge, but I'll bet they would do it.

I'm game if you have your checkbook ready. Name the spot.

Virtually none! Most people won't spend 5 minutes to save $10. This is silly.
So when you say "virtually none will" or "most people won't", you are agreeing with me that some people charge at superchargers to save money?

Reactions: nwdiver
You are kidding, right?

L2 charging CAN be put in whereever there is parking. Period.

Yes, someone has to be authorized. Yes, someone has to licensed. Yes, you have to get a permit. Yes, someone has to pay for it.

Ok, so put it in. Show me the L2 charging!

It all CAN be done. Name any parking spot where someone parks regularly overnight, and if you are willing to pay whatever it costs I'll bet we can get an L2 charger there. HOA would be child's play. Government-owned would be more of a challenge, but I'll bet they would do it.

Total BS. The government is one problem that absolutely can't be solved with a checkbook. But that is not the point. You are being totally silly with your argument. So discussion over.

I'm game if you have your checkbook ready. Name the spot.

So when you say "virtually none will" or "most people won't", you are agreeing with me that some people charge at superchargers to save money?

"Some", yes, there is always someone who will bend over to pick up a penny. But this is more silly discussion. So continue without me.