Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharging station violation...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is the a specific way to deal with the general public disobeying blatantly obvious signage that only Tesla can use the parking spaces at superchargers? Are the signs just a courtesy to help deter offenders, or are the applicable laws? Here is what I experienced today...a Ford Escape park in a supercharger spot, with sun visors I. The window and all. No intention of leaving anytime soon...looks like an overnight stay.

Is the future we have to look forward as EV owners?

Attachments

• 5EF59E5C-316A-4E21-8150-EE94B3713542.jpeg
    5EF59E5C-316A-4E21-8150-EE94B3713542.jpeg
    747 KB · Views: 194
  • 80E1D797-EE92-4302-87D4-915C6C009DEA.jpeg
    80E1D797-EE92-4302-87D4-915C6C009DEA.jpeg
    696.4 KB · Views: 143
In an ideal world people would be more courteous and follow the signage. This is like people who ignore the handicap sign and park anyway. If you feel compelled to do something, you can:

1. Contact the business where the Superchargers are located and ask them to take action.

2. Put a note on the vehicle explaining the error of their ways.

3. Ignore it, since there currently is plenty of chargers available for you to use if you need to charge.

Please don't take my answers as flippant, in life you pick the hill you want to die on. This is a very small hill. :)

Good information thank you! We”ll see what comes of it..it just made me think, what if this was the middle leg of a long trip and I popped in to “fill up”, and that space was the only unoccupied charger for me to use, but couldn’t? Hopefully it won’t become the “norm”, and the public will respect the supercharger parking spaces.

Reactions: Kleenerth3
You can report it to Tesla and to the business or security at the location. The trouble is that very few businesses are willing to tow or otherwise inconvenience their customers.

I've carried these around for years to place on windshields of offenders:

https://www.blinknetwork.com/file/20087/Blink+-+Courtesy++Notices.pdf

Just discovered these for EV owners who park without charging:

http://www.blinknetwork.com/file/21635/Blink_EV+Etiquette+Notice.pdf

Since they're polite and preprinted, I like to think that people will react better to them than a handwritten note or some sort of in person confrontation.

It took decades and heavy fines/towing to get the majority of people to respect handicapped spaces. People who aren't affected look at EV and handicapped spaces as just wasted spaces that no one parks in. I wouldn't look for behaviour change any time soon.

Reactions: Nocturnal
From the picture, it’s obvious that the person did it on purpose. Parking in front of an obvious no parking sign, instead of some strange Tesla sign, is the clue. I wouldn’t expect them to be civil, amicable, friendly, or even approachable. Steer clear and don’t bother with a note, nice or otherwise. As others said, contact the management or Tesla if you want, but don’t expect too much. I’ve not had a positive response to my complaints here in the PNW (Ellensburg and The Dalles), and I certainly wouldn’t expect it in the Deep South given coal rollers and ICEhole blockers on YouTube. In Sioux Falls, SD the SC is right next to a liquor store in a grocery store parking lot. There were probably ten ICEs in/out in my 30 min session. It was a stupid location and I didn’t bother saying anything because it wouldn’t help anyway. Move on and enjoy the sunset somewhere else.

Reactions: jerry33
Wow there are a lot more responses than I thought to this question. I appreciate the input, and I love the preprinted notices, I’ll be sure to keep a few handy in the glovebox! The funny thing is there is also a SC at the local steak and shake restaurant, which I would normally go to, and it stays busy day and night, I’ve never seen an ICE parked at one of their stations. FYI I wasn’t mad, the situation just made me think about the future of EV ownership. Seeing that the wife is also getting a Tesla in the not so distant future. And she wants the X or an S

Reactions: Bloomj
They should enforce the "CHARGING SPOTS" everywhere. Like they do with handicap parking spots, or 3/5/10/30/60 whatever minute parking spots. Then again people are ignant as hell already. only way to stop it is by enforcement and fines.

Bring on the downvotes but this is a brilliant idea from the facebook like posted above. I know, not all superchargers are near supermarkets... but still, zip ties are a lot of fun.

For sure having this happen to anyone parking like that, will make them think again before doing it twice.

Courtesy notices will do exactly zero to those do park like this on purpose, unless it's superglued to a window, they won't care.

Untitled.jpg

Bring on the downvotes but this is a brilliant idea from the facebook like posted above. I know, not all superchargers are near supermarkets... but still, zip ties are a lot of fun.

For sure having this happen to anyone parking like that, will make them think again before doing it twice.

Courtesy notices will do exactly zero to those do park like this on purpose, unless it's superglued to a window, they won't care.

View attachment 427501
You need to mate sure to use the zip ties with a metal core. It would suck if the zip tie broke and rolled into someone’s car...