Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharging throttling?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That one time when your ICE vehicle's gas tank was so low that it filled with air. When you put gas, the pump clicks every .50 cent increment.

At least Supercharging is *still* free.
Wow... I have no problem paying. Time is more expensive. Wait, was it an option to pay instead of waiting and I did not see it? Maybe we should ask for this "feature"...

??? Did you have something to contribute?
This is something thatd not surface in any manual when buying a Tesla. Very well kept secret. We only hear the knees about 150kW chargers and more and how fast your Tesla charges. Nobody says only when new. Did they tell you when you put your order?

LOL, Not a secret...did you check the TMC forums before posting your question? Search is really your friend.:cool:
I posted the details in a thread on TMC three years ago... If you fast charge, Tesla will permanently throttle charging

More details here... Tesla explains why it limits Supercharging speed after high numbers of DC charges - Electrek

Last edited:
LOL, Not a secret...did you check the TMC forums before posting your question? Search is really your friend.:cool:
I posted the details in a thread on TMC three years ago... If you fast charge, Tesla will permanently throttle charging

More details here... Tesla explains why it limits Supercharging speed after high numbers of DC charges - Electrek

I feel like this has been beaten well beyond death, but one thing struck me that I haven't seen a specific answer to.

From the Electrek article, from (dubious) source of Tesla service report:

"...... According to Tesla engineers, once vehicle has been DC fast charged over a specified amount, the battery management system restricts DC charging....... "

Is there a specification for detailed charging and energy throughput characteristics of Tesla vehicle batteries?

Like max number of supercharge sessions, or max supercharged energy, or max energy charged at over certain charge rate?

Indeed, is there any way of using your battery that by Tesla's rules would ensure you have max supercharging (and for that matter no other abnormal battery degradation)?

• Informative
Reactions: Chaserr
yes...Tesla give free supercharging as incentive to buy, then there next update you get slows you down.....almost like bait and switch
That has not been my experience. The cars being discussed have older battery packs and were bought when this issue was unknown territory. I would agree if it were happening with newer cars but it is not. I have supercharged over half of my 23K miles in less than a year and I am still seeing 141-146 kW at most V2 chargers, and a few times as high as 156kW for brief periods. My car has a pre raven 100kW revision D battery. Curren range around 320mi from 335 new.

• Funny
Reactions: ElectricIAC
Tesla has throttled your supercharge rate to keep your battery from catching fire. Tesla made this stealth update in the spring/summer of 2019 and onwards. Tesla will do this to EVERYONE, even you doe-eyed Model 3/Y owners. Just wait for it. But I guess you all should be okay with that because Tesla will extend the life of your battery just enough so that it doesn't fail within the warranty period. Tesla would much rather that expense fall on its customers. Tesla totally has your back!

#chargegate
#batterygate

That has not been my experience. The cars being discussed have older battery packs and were bought when this issue was unknown territory. I would agree if it were happening with newer cars but it is not. I have supercharged over half of my 23K miles in less than a year and I am still seeing 141-146 kW at most V2 chargers, and a few times as high as 156kW for brief periods. My car has a pre raven 100kW revision D battery. Curren range around 320mi from 335 new.
I thought the same way. I had the same experience. Moreover I supercharged ver, very little. This year 5 times. Of course I read the forums but I thought this would apply to older batteries, excessive supercharging, much higher mileage and car age...but no. While I get the main reasons here is what it is not ok...They do not reveal the rules-why, when, how much it will be throttled, what is next?? Secondly they know now. Do they tell you upfront what to expect owning a Tesla for more than a year? How slow will I be able to travel in a year from now? We all only know about battery degradation but nothing about this charging behavior changing. We do not know the rules. Is it better now with newer cars? That is why I opened up the discussion again. Sure there are older threads. And I just learned that AC charging gets throttled too at some point. This really changes the game for me buying another Tesla at this point. Do you think the sales agents know? Is this in the manual? It clearly tells me the speed of charging based on the amps. Why not how this changes in 2 years of ownership? This is bad. Forget about yellow screens or failing headlamps DRLs.

Reactions: InternetDude
I would kill to be pulling 70kwh in my P85D

From yesterday
20200529_194554.jpg

So glad to still be on v8.

Why are you okay with your car being neutered without permission or compensation?
Did you see the quotes around ok? Am I happy about chargegate? No, but for the rates I can still get, it’s a nuisance vs showstopper. That’s why I said if the max I could get ever was 60kW, then I’d be pissed. I’m still able to enjoy the car and realistically road trip so am not sweating it while things play out with the class action, etc. That’s all I’m saying.

Did you see the quotes around ok? Am I happy about chargegate? No, but for the rates I can still get, it’s a nuisance vs showstopper. That’s why I said if the max I could get ever was 60kW, then I’d be pissed. I’m still able to enjoy the car and realistically road trip so am not sweating it while things play out with the class action, etc. That’s all I’m saying.
Sounds like you’re saying, “thank you sir, may I have another.”

you may be correct.....my. car is relative new (JAN) and I have supercharged probably 13 times and at home the rest.....I mis-understood the issues as you have explained to me....so I guess my car is still alright....I charge at the Irvine supercharger and get a top speed of 72kW which I now know to be the man for this station....From 20% SoC to 90% takes about 1hr 25 min.....it does slow down when approaching 90%....so, I'm ok with that....I would like to find a faster rate chag=rge station and see what I get.....thanks for your help

At least Supercharging is *still* free.
For the first few years they made the Model S it wasn't free - we paid thousands of dollars for it and they still bait and switched.

No, but for the rates I can still get, it’s a nuisance vs showstopper.
If it was a showstopper you wouldn't be here, you would be driving a chevy because they charge faster.