Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharging to be uncoupled for new owners - lowering price of S/X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here is the data in Google Docs. Look at the 2nd tab for the Pivot Table. Grab a copy of the data if you want to edit or view some other way.

Screen Shot 2016-09-12 at 10.45.23 AM.png

Last edited:
Wasn't the rollout supposed to be doubling by end of 2017 (compared to 2015) - so 215 increasing to 441)?

Ce7ZRXnWQAEChgb.jpg:large

Some way to go then ... the 2016 rollout, in Europe, needs to get a wiggle on too!

SuperCharger.gif

Anything interesting to know about that China number (109)?

12 of those are in Hong Kong, which might be considered a separate region (restricted ability for off-street parking / charging perhaps?)

12 are in Shanghai ... perhaps the same off-street parking issue there? seems a lot for within a city ...

Other than that ... its a big country :)

Wasn't the rollout supposed to be doubling by end of 2017 (compared to 2015) - so 215 increasing to 441)?
Ce7ZRXnWQAEChgb.jpg:large

Some way to go then ... the 2016 rollout, in Europe, needs to get a wiggle on too!

View attachment 194240

12 of those are in Hong Kong, which might be considered a separate region (restricted ability for off-street parking / charging perhaps?)

12 are in Shanghai ... perhaps the same off-street parking issue there? seems a lot for within a city ...

Other than that ... its a big country :)

I live in a state that covers the same area as roughly Paris to Budapest and Hamburg to Florence and we currently have a measly 14 Supercharger stations, so I'm not exactly crying for Europe or the UK right now. :)

Those numbers were for the stores/service centers, not Supercharging locations. For Supercharging they didn't count by the number of locations, but by the number stalls.

At the Model 3 announcement they said that they had 3,608 Supercharges and that there would be 7,200 by the end of 2017.

Here is what I show the stall counts are by year:
upload_2016-9-12_19-15-29.png

So they have ~15.5 months to add 2,937 stalls. (Or ~189 stalls/month, or ~24 locations/month. Figuring an average of 8 stalls/location.)

Will they make it? Maybe, maybe not. Depends how much they step up the pace over the next year.

Note those counts include what Supercharge.info has as under construction and permitted.

I live in a state that covers the same area as roughly Paris to Budapest and Hamburg to Florence and we currently have a measly 14 Supercharger stations, so I'm not exactly crying for Europe or the UK right now. :)
I get the impression that Tesla has been pretty even handed in SC installations if you look at Tesla_EVs/capita. China may be an exception.

Last edited:
I was about to post this (nearly) always relevant xkcd, but realized you're in one of the more populous states in the US. Granted, the population is pretty discretely focused (Houston/Austin-SA metro/DFW/El Paso) but you're absolutely right. There need to be more Superchargers in your area.

For reference, anyway, here is the comic. Population density does, to some degree, dictate Supercharger density. But I agree, not in your case.

heatmap.png

I was about to post this (nearly) always relevant xkcd, but realized you're in one of the more populous states in the US. Granted, the population is pretty discretely focused (Houston/Austin-SA metro/DFW/El Paso) but you're absolutely right. There need to be more Superchargers in your area.

For reference, anyway, here is the comic. Population density does, to some degree, dictate Supercharger density. But I agree, not in your case.

View attachment 194252

Second most populous state in the Union, but yes, due to size and geography we have a weird population density profile. If you cut the state about in half, the eastern portion would be very dense and the western portion would be very spread out. This is part of the problem with the Supercharger buildout, the western parts of Texas pose some definite logistic problems when it comes to finding decent spots to locate them.

I would frequently see a new SC in Germany appear on supercharge.info .. at which point I'd check it out and grumble when I found it was in a location which had 6 other SCs less than 80 km away!