Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Support Escalation Options? Please help!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, my first negative Tesla experience.... Service has been phenomenal up until now. I'm a huge Tesla fan. I own a 2019 Model S P100D w/ 20k miles. I have a very early pre-order for a Cybertruck. I planned on buying my kids a Model 3 when they turn 16 next year. I tell anyone that is interested that "I will never buy a gas powered vehicle again and I can't see myself buying any EV other than Tesla." I say all of that to emphasize that I am not someone that just likes to bad mouth Tesla -- quite the opposite. This experience is really shaking my confidence in the company though.

• 12/17 My car just stopped working. At first it just wouldn't turn on, but other functions like locks, mirrors and trunk still worked. Then, slowly, everything stopped working -- no response at all. Luckily it was in my garage and I had it towed to Tesla.
  • 12/21 Didn't hear anything from them after my car got dropped off. I finally reached out to ask for a status and they said "We expect it to be ready by 12/24."
  • 12/24 Still didn't hear anything so I asked for status. They said it wouldn't be ready today as previously expected but they are waiting on a part and would update me on Monday, 12/27. I asked them what part they were waiting on they said "It needs a high voltage battery"
  • 12/27 Didn't hear anything.
  • 12/28 Reached out for a status update.
  • 12/29 They said they're still waiting on an estimated date of arrival for the part.
  • 12/31 Been without a car for 2 weeks. Asked them if they could at least give me a ballpark as to when that part might come in.
  • 1/3 Finally responded back that they still have no ETA.
  • 1/5 Asked them if they could get me a loaner and they said they would put me on a waiting list. They ended up getting my a loaner same day (much older car, locked in chill mode and 85mph max speed, but at least I have wheels.)
  • 1/14 Received my first "proactive" update, which was basically just a non-update to say they still don't have the part and they don't know when it's coming in. I pushed back, questioning how they could have no ETA after a month. Service tells me "It's just a waiting game."
  • 1/21 My "Estimated Completion" was set for 1/22. Asked Service if we were still on track for that date. Service says that date doesn't actually have anything to do with an estimated completion date and they still have no idea when they are getting a battery for me. I expressed to Service just how frustrated I am with the situation and asked for a phone call.
  • 1/22 Service tried to call but I was on work calls and unable to answer. I tried to call back but had no way to get a hold of them.
  • 1/24 I reached back out to ask for another call. I mentioned a time I would be available and asked for them to schedule a time to call if they weren't able to call at the time I offered.
  • 1/26 Still no phone call. Asked for an escalation.
  • 1/27 Got a message in the app saying my advisor has been out sick and they asked "How can we help?" I told them that my car had been in service for 41 days, so giving me an ETA on how much longer service is expected to take would be a start. I also asked for a phone call again. They said my advisor would be back in the office tomorrow and will provide me an update.
  • 2/1 Four days later and still no update and no call. I reached out and mentioned it had now been 46 days that they've had my vehicle and a week since I requested a call. They finally called. I was told I am currently 3rd on the waiting list for a 100w battery. They had received three batteries the previous week and expected to get another three this week or next. I wrote a summary of our conversation into the app and they confirmed.
  • 2/15 I reached out since it had been two weeks since the last update. I was told "We have 3 batteries here currently in queue for the lift. We should have those done by the time the next battery arrives and yours will be up. Hopefully end of next week." I was confused as to how I was told previously I was 3rd on the list and now they're telling me they have 3 batteries yet I'm still waiting. Service responded "We also service other than 100kwh batteries and there is an 85kwh that also needs done." I have no idea why they are providing updates on batteries that aren't relevant to my situation.
It's now been two months and they not only don't have the part, but they have no idea when they will be getting it. How is this acceptable that they are unable to service the cars they are selling?

What options do I have? And is anyone else playing the waiting game on a "high voltage battery"?

Lots of reports of people waiting 2+ months for replacement batteries right now, particularly 100s.

Super frustrating I’m sure - but the reality is you don’t really have much recourse. There’s nobody to escalate to. Lots of others waiting. I’m sure if you try hard enough you’ll find someone who will eventually give you a canned response that probably involves the phrase “supply chain” 3 or 4 times, but it’s not going to do anything to improve your situation or bump you ahead in the queue.

So, my first negative Tesla experience.... Service has been phenomenal up until now. I'm a huge Tesla fan. I own a 2019 Model S P100D w/ 20k miles. I have a very early pre-order for a Cybertruck. I planned on buying my kids a Model 3 when they turn 16 next year. I tell anyone that is interested that "I will never buy a gas powered vehicle again and I can't see myself buying any EV other than Tesla." I say all of that to emphasize that I am not someone that just likes to bad mouth Tesla -- quite the opposite. This experience is really shaking my confidence in the company though.

• 12/17 My car just stopped working. At first it just wouldn't turn on, but other functions like locks, mirrors and trunk still worked. Then, slowly, everything stopped working -- no response at all. Luckily it was in my garage and I had it towed to Tesla.
  • 12/21 Didn't hear anything from them after my car got dropped off. I finally reached out to ask for a status and they said "We expect it to be ready by 12/24."
  • 12/24 Still didn't hear anything so I asked for status. They said it wouldn't be ready today as previously expected but they are waiting on a part and would update me on Monday, 12/27. I asked them what part they were waiting on they said "It needs a high voltage battery"
  • 12/27 Didn't hear anything.
  • 12/28 Reached out for a status update.
  • 12/29 They said they're still waiting on an estimated date of arrival for the part.
  • 12/31 Been without a car for 2 weeks. Asked them if they could at least give me a ballpark as to when that part might come in.
  • 1/3 Finally responded back that they still have no ETA.
  • 1/5 Asked them if they could get me a loaner and they said they would put me on a waiting list. They ended up getting my a loaner same day (much older car, locked in chill mode and 85mph max speed, but at least I have wheels.)
  • 1/14 Received my first "proactive" update, which was basically just a non-update to say they still don't have the part and they don't know when it's coming in. I pushed back, questioning how they could have no ETA after a month. Service tells me "It's just a waiting game."
  • 1/21 My "Estimated Completion" was set for 1/22. Asked Service if we were still on track for that date. Service says that date doesn't actually have anything to do with an estimated completion date and they still have no idea when they are getting a battery for me. I expressed to Service just how frustrated I am with the situation and asked for a phone call.
  • 1/22 Service tried to call but I was on work calls and unable to answer. I tried to call back but had no way to get a hold of them.
  • 1/24 I reached back out to ask for another call. I mentioned a time I would be available and asked for them to schedule a time to call if they weren't able to call at the time I offered.
  • 1/26 Still no phone call. Asked for an escalation.
  • 1/27 Got a message in the app saying my advisor has been out sick and they asked "How can we help?" I told them that my car had been in service for 41 days, so giving me an ETA on how much longer service is expected to take would be a start. I also asked for a phone call again. They said my advisor would be back in the office tomorrow and will provide me an update.
  • 2/1 Four days later and still no update and no call. I reached out and mentioned it had now been 46 days that they've had my vehicle and a week since I requested a call. They finally called. I was told I am currently 3rd on the waiting list for a 100w battery. They had received three batteries the previous week and expected to get another three this week or next. I wrote a summary of our conversation into the app and they confirmed.
  • 2/15 I reached out since it had been two weeks since the last update. I was told "We have 3 batteries here currently in queue for the lift. We should have those done by the time the next battery arrives and yours will be up. Hopefully end of next week." I was confused as to how I was told previously I was 3rd on the list and now they're telling me they have 3 batteries yet I'm still waiting. Service responded "We also service other than 100kwh batteries and there is an 85kwh that also needs done." I have no idea why they are providing updates on batteries that aren't relevant to my situation.
It's now been two months and they not only don't have the part, but they have no idea when they will be getting it. How is this acceptable that they are unable to service the cars they are selling?

What options do I have? And is anyone else playing the waiting game on a "high voltage battery"?

You should be emailing the shop supervisor or shop manager (at this point skip the supervisor) and explain the situation and your position.
If that doesn't work you can always email elon musk's office.

That being said...as mentioned this is unfortunately a not-uncommon experience right now with waiting for parts. The fact that you got a loaner is good. You will probably be using it for awhile....

Lots of reports of people waiting 2+ months for replacement batteries right now, particularly 100s.

Super frustrating I’m sure - but the reality is you don’t really have much recourse. There’s nobody to escalate to. Lots of others waiting. I’m sure if you try hard enough you’ll find someone who will eventually give you a canned response that probably involves the phrase “supply chain” 3 or 4 times, but it’s not going to do anything to improve your situation or bump you ahead in the queue.
Man, that's both frustrating and comforting, so I appreciate the response. I will say, a big part of the problem has really just been the lack of transparency and the terrible communication. If they would have just told me up front "We're extremely sorry but supply chain issues are causing this part to be backordered for 3 months in many cases. We'll let you know as soon as we have a more firm delivery date." I would have been frustrated, but I understand that *sugar* happens that is outside of their control. At least would have had the proper expectations. Instead they've been completely vague when pressed for information and what little information I have been able to get out of them has taken way more effort on my side than it should.

It's quite honestly the worst customer service experience I've ever had with any company, and it all could have been better with just frequent and transparent communication. They're lucky they make such amazing cars or there is zero chance I would ever buy another one.

They gave you a loaner, which means the situation is quite grave lol. Condolences to your battery. Drive the free car for now I guess? BTW ask for a fresh 12v before taking possession of your car, its almost certainly toast with no HV feeding it, and your car is likely sitting outside at the lot waiting for a battery.

They gave you a loaner, which means the situation is quite grave lol. Condolences to your battery. Drive the free car for now I guess? BTW ask for a fresh 12v before taking possession of your car, its almost certainly toast with no HV feeding it, and your car is likely sitting outside at the lot waiting for a battery.
Solid advice. I'll definitely push for that.

Since you have a loaner you are already being treated better than most other customers.
Yeah, that had given me a REALLY old S, and while I was happy to have anything, this one had paint peeling off the mirrors, the range was low and it was very squeaky inside. I had to take customers out so I asked for something a bit newer and they found a Model X for me to drive. That's really been the one bright spot in this whole ordeal.

Yeah, that had given me a REALLY old S, and while I was happy to have anything, this one had paint peeling off the mirrors, the range was low and it was very squeaky inside. I had to take customers out so I asked for something a bit newer and they found a Model X for me to drive. That's really been the one bright spot in this whole ordeal.
Nice, I've been trying to get a loaner S for a year. They only have 2 at my local SC. My wife is thinking of moving from Y to X but wants to test it for a few days first.

If the address is old enough that your source still includes the teslamotors.com domain, it's almost certainly worthless.

Do you have any first, second, or sixth hand reports of people getting a response from this address in the past 5 years?
I used it myself last year around summer time after not getting responses from CS on them taking my FUSC away on account transfer. They finally responded after I emailed there, unfortunately the answer I received was not a good one